DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

50 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I almost bought Brawl in Cell Block 99 today, then saw it was by the writer/director of Bone Tomahawk and didn't want to leave myself open to gratuitous scalpings and the like. Shame as Vince Vaughan looks badass

It gets violent, but nothing on the level of that one scene in Bone Tomahawk imo.  "Stomp the back of someone's head when they're face down on concrete" is the go-to move and it's closer to cartoon violence than something actually disturbing.

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

It gets violent, but nothing on the level of that one scene in Bone Tomahawk imo.  "Stomp the back of someone's head when they're face down on concrete" is the go-to move and it's closer to cartoon violence than something actually disturbing.

Are we talking Drive/American History X levels or a bit more OTT?

On 1/3/2018 at 10:48 PM, caley said:

A friend of mine - an avowed Transformers nut (he made a Transformer advent calendar for himself this year) - kept talking about how good The Last Knight was and I thought "Hey I didn't mind the last one, maybe the critics are just being spiteful because of Michael Bay" .   My friend was wrong and the critics were right.  It sucked. 

Only because of apparent masochistic tendencies, I saw the first four (?!?) TF movies in theaters. I finally held my ground with this last one. But I did rent the DVD over Christmas and, well, it wasn't the worst of the series. There were a couple decent sequences and it's worth seeing just for Anthony Hopkins devouring scenery in one of the greatest give-no-shits check cashing performances ever. 

The irony of the TF series is everybody blamed the 2nd one's chaotic nonsensical story on the WGA strike yet *every* movie since the first has been similarly schizophrenic. I did think the 3rd one was pretty good, tho, so I'd say they made two decent flicks.

The first was watchable and even slightly entertaining, but mostly terrible.

The second is the worst big budget movie ever made

The third was better than those two but still pretty shitty.

I actually own the fourth and fifth digitally but I've not watched them.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The first was watchable and even slightly entertaining, but mostly terrible.

The second is the worst big budget movie ever made

The third was better than those two but still pretty shitty.

I actually own the fourth and fifth digitally but I've not watched them.

The second one made me so actively, viscerally angry that I've never been able to bring myself to watch the later ones.  I hate basically everything about it except Jetfire the elderly Scots Transformer.  I'm still fairly convinced that Wal-Marts and TRUs choking on racist movie Skids is the reason it took me nearly a fucking year to find the Generations figure of the G1 character.

Red Letter Media did a video where they watch the first three Transformers movies all at the same time. So basically, 3 TVs and one of the movies on each. Each movie is sadly exactly the same as the other. I mean, it's down to when there are musical beats that happen at the exact same time. Shia "nonononono's" at the exact same time.

I'd rank the TF movies best to worst as

1. It was kinda like Short Circuit with giant robots. Kinda captured the idea of giant robots from a human perspective and good vs evil as well as any in the series. 

4. Mark Wahlberg was a nice addition tonite series and it had a good entertaining plot/pacing. 

3. I always felt like this movie was Michael Bay getting bored with the series as there are some long stretches which are almost exclusively humans vs robots, which is something nobody comes to these movies to see.  

5. An unintelligible plot. A final battle that is almost incomprehensible in spatial terms (I frequently thought "Where are they? Are they still on Earth? Whom is fighting whom here?).

2. One the most awful viewing experiences of my life. A nonsensical plot.  Flat-out racist characters/dialogue.  My brother and I still discuss random nonsense from that movie (Remember when he had that key made of sand and he lost most of the sand but the key came back together later anyway? Or remember when Shia Laboeuf went to robot heaven?). Awful. 

On 1/10/2018 at 12:28 AM, caley said:

I'd rank the TF movies best to worst as

2. One the most awful viewing experiences of my life. A nonsensical plot.  Flat-out racist characters/dialogue.  My brother and I still discuss random nonsense from that movie (Remember when he had that key made of sand and he lost most of the sand but the key came back together later anyway? Or remember when Shia Laboeuf went to robot heaven?). Awful. 

My ska band will be called Sock Full of Matrix.

I thought 5 was the most coherent plot-wise and easiest to watch until way too easily turned evil-Optimus gets back to Earth and then things get too Michael Bay-ey.  The most confusing thing to me was the existence of baby Dinobots.  Also, why anyone would follow Optimus Prime who from the second film on has been the absolute worst.  He's violently angry and incredibly stupid.  Like he can turn into anything but he just drifts back to Cybertron in robot mode.

On 2018-01-13 at 7:44 AM, The Natural said:

Great films turning 10 in 2018:

The Dark Knight, Let The Right One In, WALL-E, Iron Man, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Gran Torino and In Bruges.

Hottish take: Burn After Reading, which too many people dismissed as small potatoes following No Country.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Sister got me Dunkirk today, the only Christopher Nolan film I've not seen so will watch that ASAP.

It's good but the jumping timeline can be a challenge. 

• Like 1

Saw The Post over the weekend. It was excellent. It's pretty obviously Oscar bait but ends up good anyway. Best part was getting to give a history lesson to the ticket taker kid as I was leaving. It was fun to open his eyes to history a little bit. 

9 minutes ago, Tabe said:

It's good but the jumping timeline can be a challenge. 

I just watched it, and you are right it is a bit weird.  I prefer the 3 hour long epics, frankly, but it was good, if a bit different.

Do you guys like Mark Henry? Do you like strongman competitions? Then watch the documentary Born Strong on Netflix. It's really good. It closely follows 4 of the competitors in the Arnold Classic, one of them being the Mountain. Anyway, Mark Henry is one of their expert talking heads and he's fun to listen to.

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Do you guys like Mark Henry? Do you like strongman competitions? Then watch the documentary Born Strong on Netflix. It's really good. It closely follows 4 of the competitors in the Arnold Classic, one of them being the Mountain. Anyway, Mark Henry is one of their expert talking heads and he's fun to listen to.

Just watched this the other night and it was great.

• Like 1