DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's probably from that. He threatens to cut somebody's face off then their dick and balls in front of a mirror (woof!).

No he doesn't, he's describing what the Mexican cartel does to folks and what they'd probably do to him if they caught his Crash persona

Panicked and Oscar binged.

Enjoyed Three Bridges and Ladybird but found them films so generic Oscar bait types that it would be fairly difficult to fuck up. Ladybird however the sort of film that Jennifer Lawrence has fucked up...

I have no idea what to make of Shape of Water. If that's what is considered Best Picture, that Alf TV movie from the 90s was robbed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The first part of HIGH AND LOW is just a master class in blocking and shot composition, and the performance that really shows the depth of Mifune’s acting chops. Nakadai might be the better actor, but he just can’t match Mifune for charisma.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Control said:

The first part of HIGH AND LOW is just a master class in blocking and shot composition, and the performance that really shows the depth of Mifune’s acting chops. Nakadai might be the better actor, but he just can’t match Mifune for charisma.

I just watched a bunch of jidaigeki films in a binge frenzy last month. Mifune is fucking amazing in everything I've seen him in, but Nakadai in Harakiri is on whole entirely different level. Once I get time, I'm going to get back into it and watch High and Low. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I just watched a bunch of jidaigeki films in a binge frenzy last month. Mifune is fucking amazing in everything I've seen him in, but Nakadai in Harakiri is on whole entirely different level. Once I get time, I'm going to get back into it and watch High and Low. 

Nakadai is always great. He's amazing in SWORD OF DOOM, and he's a nice foil to Mifune in YOJIMBO. But Mifune has that Harrison Ford or Clint Eastwood-style charisma that tends to let him overshadow everyone around him.

Young Nakadai is also dreamy as fuck.

• Like 2

I haven't watched any jidaigeki on a regular basis since Samurai Saturdays stopped being a regular thing on IFC.

Mifune had tough guy charisma oozing out of his pores.  It really complimented his acting range that caused you to hate, fear, or admire his character depending on what role he played whether it be the heroic Rokurota Makabe from Hidden Fortress or the batshit insane Washizu Taketoki from Throne of Blood

I loved Tomisaburo Wakayama, but he had the sort of forbidding charisma that just made him a really scary dude. He's looks like a heavy regardless of whether or not he's playing a protagonist or an antagonist.

His presence lent itself well to the role of Ogami Itto and his rather unique parenting style.  You never doubted that Itto loved his son in his own way, but you definitely knew that Itto would kill Daigoro without question if he became a liability. 

If we're going to talk about our jidaigeki man crushes, I always thought that young Takao Kataoka (Nemuri Kyōshirō from the Sleepy Eyes of Death series) was a pretty good looking dude.  He had that young Hiroyuki Sanada baby faced assassin thing going on

• Like 2

Finally saw Brawl in Cell Block 99 and had no idea it would pan out pretty much like a real-life version of 

Spoiler

Story of Ricky/Riki-Oh

It also reminded me slightly of Wild At Heart in a way that I can't pinpoint, but maybe that's just because I watched that again recently. It is also one of the most batshit insane exploitation films I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. Great dialogue, wild violence, Vince Vaughn comes off as a badass at long last, Dexter's sister doesn't say "fuck" once! Fair warning though: it's also long, slow, and like the film in the spoiler it breaks with reality a lot. 

When I rented that I also bought copies of The Nice Guys and This Is Spinal Tap, so now I'm staring at two Euro-horror films (Kill Baby Kill, Fascination) and two broad comedies I've bought that need to be watched. Variety is the spice of life, as they say

6 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Annihilation is on Netflix in like a week but I'm that sucker who wants to see it in a theater.

I'm waiting for Netflix.  I am lazy and just made a mortgage payment.

18 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Might see Game Night and Annihilation back-to-back tonight. Annihilation is on Netflix in like a week but I'm that sucker who wants to see it in a theater.

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I'm waiting for Netflix.  I am lazy and just made a mortgage payment.

I thought it was only on Netflix internationally, but in theaters in the US.

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I thought it was only on Netflix internationally, but in theaters in the US.

Ah... looks like you're basically right.  It's in theaters in US, Canada and China.  For all other countries in the world, it'll be on Netflix on March 12th.

That makes more sense than what I was thinking, that everyone would legitimately get it on Netflix if they were just willing to wait for a bit.

Damn. I thought Mute looked really good from the preview. That sucks.

Why can't Netflix get any good original movies lately? I forget the name of it, but the one with Thomas Jane was good and Geralds Game was pretty fucked up. I also just watched the movie about National Lampoon and that was fine too.