DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

My reaction was similar re. the Event Horizon similarities and my fondness for that movie.  It was worth a watch though and I'd put it above the first movie but below the second, even though all 3 movies were totally distinct from one another.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing whatshername's husband yelling on the phone about not sending her  back to Earth with these "things" having invaded.  It's not hard to believe that there were multiple monsters that showed up and if the one in NYC was supposed to be a baby then it's easy to imagine there were other, larger creatures elsewhere.

Spoiler

Also, in the footage of Donal Logue talking about how he thinks that the Cloverfield Station project could cause a rift to open across space/time, perhaps that is what happened, and Clover was dropped into NYC 2008, while the Cloverfield Station project was happening 20 years later.

57 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Tarantino has responded to the controversy stemming from the Uma Thurman piece.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/quentin-tarantino-uma-thurman-harvey-weinstein-kill-bill-car-crash-new-york-times-1202278988/

I for one have faith that Michael Madsen could be a perfectly adequate spitter!

I would like to see the Diane Kruger death wiggle.

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I’m also troubled that he didn’t trust then-future Oscar winner Christoph Waltz to choke a bitch. 

Quentin: Christoph is an incredible actor, but his tiny Kraut hands are totally inadequate for choking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Depending on how big this gets, it may require its own thread, but Robert Wagner is a "person of interest" in the death of his then wife, Natalie Wood. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/05/entertainment/natalie-wood/index.html

That is a blast from the past. And one of those old school Hollywood Babylon What Ifs.

My least favorite type of reaction to this story is when measured criticism of QT's morals turns on a dime into the hottest of hot takes about his films.

Like, I'm here for your QT twitter rant, but can we please not end it with "and fuck Jackie Brown too!" 

That deadline interview is equal parts apology, explanation and bat-shit crazy. I can kind of art direct the spit!

The choking thing is really odd. I totally get what he is saying, but good god man... reign it in a little.  

Actors agreeing to let Tarantino choke them reminds me of Michael B. Jordan agreeing to take those punches while filming Creed.  That's some really pro wrasslin shit..

The Mummy (2017) wasn't nearly as bad as people want to make it out to be. I'd be down for a sequel, the ending obviously left it open for another. Although I don't know if they will. I'm not remotely interested in a Universal Monsters type universe, but I came out of it at least sort of interested.

Although I didn't know...

Spoiler

Jekyll & Mr. Hyde was a part of all that, since Crowe played both characters. I wouldn't say I marked out, but I smiled at the tease of it when Jekyll put his hand on that bio-metric handprint thing and then the full reveal about 10-20 minutes later. That was pretty dope.

I'd be pissed too! That is beyond petty and when you take in mind he went out of his way to do it in 70mm, having special showings, etc. he's clearly in the right. 

Glad this openness about the Uma situation is out there because I really did not want to feel like a piece of shit every time I watch a Tarantino movie again. 

The sad thing to me is that Uma told her story when she was prepared to do so, but Weinstein being a piece of shit is old news so both the author and the media outlets that regurgitated the article  conflated other parts of the story that weren't the point of why she was coming forward to generate something new. Tarantino can be taken to task for the way he runs a set, but that wasn't Uma's intention in telling her story and the secondhand versions of what she said are misconstruing that. 

I've definitely heard the Diane Kruger choking story before and didn't bat an eye. But I guess I just assumed it was a cameo joke and not that he was actually choking the hell out of her. 

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'd be pissed too! That is beyond petty and when you take in mind he went out of his way to do it in 70mm, having special showings, etc. he's clearly in the right. 

Glad this openness about the Uma situation is out there because I really did not want to feel like a piece of shit every time I watch a Tarantino movie again. 

His opinions on the Roman Polanski situation is kind of gross, though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

I've definitely heard the Diane Kruger choking story before and didn't bat an eye. But I guess I just assumed it was a cameo joke and not that he was actually choking the hell out of her. 

That seems to be his take on what Argento did with all of the POV work in his films. I've never heard any stories about Argento legitimately strangling any of his actors, but a lot of the "black glove" shots in his films have him playing the killer for those shots. I'm not sure what his reasoning behind it was, but I'm sure it was something similar, making sure your vision is correct on screen, with the added bonus of you getting to enjoy a quasi-sexual act in front of a huge crew.

21 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

That seems to be his take on what Argento did with all of the POV work in his films. I've never heard any stories about Argento legitimately strangling any of his actors, but a lot of the "black glove" shots in his films have him playing the killer for those shots. I'm not sure what his reasoning behind it was, but I'm sure it was something similar, making sure your vision is correct on screen, with the added bonus of you getting to enjoy a quasi-sexual act in front of a huge crew.

Might not be the best example of goodness, though - the dude was fond enough of filming his daughter in nude scenes that it happened in several films.:lol:

1 hour ago, Captain Kronos said:

Might not be the best example of goodness, though - the dude was fond enough of filming his daughter in nude scenes that it happened in several films.:lol:

Absolutely. I'm certainly not condoning Argento's weirdness either, just making the observance that Tarantino had a role model for where some of this stuff comes from. It's pretty evident in the handful of sequences that Tarantino has lifted directly from Argento films that he sees him as an influence.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, (BP) said:

The sad thing to me is that Uma told her story when she was prepared to do so, but Weinstein being a piece of shit is old news so both the author and the media outlets that regurgitated the article  conflated other parts of the story that weren't the point of why she was coming forward to generate something new. Tarantino can be taken to task for the way he runs a set, but that wasn't Uma's intention in telling her story and the secondhand versions of what she said are misconstruing that. 

Allegedly, at least according to the rumors several years ago, he literally choked her until she passed out.