DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Keala Settle marching a crew down that stage is going to have to be badass. That's what I'm looking forward to most at the Oscars. Ditto on Efron, and I've already gushed about Zendaya before. 

And I see the scene has finally made it to Youtube:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, driver said:

I loved Bone Tomahawk.

FWIW the guy (S. Craig Zahler) who did Bone Tomahawk is also doing this upcoming Mel Gibson & Vince Vaughn police brutality movie which is...yeah...right. The funny thing is Ridley Scott was (is?) set to do Wraiths of the Broken Land (Zahler's book) a western and there was talk of a film for one of his other books Mean Business on North Ganson Street. I believe DiCaprio and Jamie Foxx were rumored to be the leads a ways back. At this point, he might as well do those two films because apparently his loves the western genre and stuff about police.

On 1/24/2018 at 5:39 AM, CreativeControl said:

Has anyone seen Hostiles starring Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike? How graphic is this film? Some of the descriptions put me off, especially after watching Bone Tomahawk, but I love the genre

Saw it yesterday. Wasn't terribly graphic besides the first ten minutes or so.

• Like 1

I meant to post this earlier.

The Weinstein stuff is (sadly) par for the course with all the other stories we've heard, but that Tarantino story....I've always wondered why they hadn't worked together in a decade after being such close collaborators early on.  That would definitely explain it.

I don't even get why Uma needed to be driving that car.  You can't even really see her face in the shot, except kinda shakily in the rear view mirror.  Very easily could've been done by the stunt double, or even tweaked in post production.

And how the fuck does such a shitty car make it into the production of a $50 million movie to begin with?

On 2/3/2018 at 5:51 PM, dogwelder said:

So for those who may have seen The King of Kong documentary:

Donkey Kong scoreboard strips Billy Mitchell’s high score claims

I just love the caption on the story photo:

"Mitchell rides an oversized Donkey Kong machine in the recent Citrus Bowl parade."

I wonder how recent.  Like who in 2015 or 2017 would be building a big Donkey Kong float for the guy who "used to hold the Donkey Kong record and was in that one documentary everyone said you should watch like ten years ago"?

Did he build it himself and does he just show up at stuff with it?

Broken record but ...

In lieu of watching the big game, did my annual watching of Rollerball. Gets more prescient every year.  And timely, since it’s set in 2018. 

One of the trivia facts from the amazon prime edition: the crowds (filmed in Germany) got so into the matches people wanted to start their own league, which horrified Norman Jewison. 

Also, hey look, it’s former Buck Rogers femme fatale Pamela Hensley as one of Jonathan E’s girlfriends. 

• Like 1

I gave into the Super Bowl hype and queued up THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX, but I tapped out after 30 minutes.  It's EVENT HORIZON's idiot cousin.  The whole thing had a very DTV feel, aside from a cast that deserved much better.

15 hours ago, EVA said:

And how the fuck does such a shitty car make it into the production of a $50 million movie to begin with?

My guess would be that Tarantino probably wanted it to be some legit vintage car and was less concerned about how well it actually drove.  Remember in The Hateful Eight when a real antique guitar needed to be used for some reason (and ended up accidentally getting destroyed) when pretty much no viewer would ever have known the difference?

10 hours ago, EVA said:

It's EVENT HORIZON's idiot cousin.

I had a very similar thought while watching it.

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I enjoyed THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX for what it is.  Some interesting world building shit going on there. 

I am also on board with this. It was flawed, and the Event Horizon analog means that it will forever be cursed by how much I love that film and then in turn gets TCP unfairly compared to something that I hold very dear. But I like where they are taking the overall world, and I am interested to see where Overlord gets us later this year.

Spoiler

Can anyone explain what the final scene was, though? Clover wasn't anywhere near that big in the original, so I'm not quite sure what we were seeing there. What I thought it might be is that we are seeing a time period well after Clover has attacked NYC, as it is stated that she is a juvenile in the first picture. So maybe what we are seeing is her adult or older adolescent form?  

Secondly, the capsule was supposed to be coming down on the Delaware coastline, which made my thoughts of it being the falling piece we see in Coney Island in the original impossible.  I guess that could add credence to the thought that Clover is all grown up and wandering the East Coast.

2 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

I had a very similar thought while watching it.

I am also on board with this. It was flawed, and the Event Horizon analog means that it will forever be cursed by how much I love that film and then in turn gets TCP unfairly compared to something that I hold very dear. But I like where they are taking the overall world, and I am interested to see where Overlord gets us later this year.

Reveal hidden contents

Can anyone explain what the final scene was, though? Clover wasn't anywhere near that big in the original, so I'm not quite sure what we were seeing there. What I thought it might be is that we are seeing a time period well after Clover has attacked NYC, as it is stated that she is a juvenile in the first picture. So maybe what we are seeing is her adult or older adolescent form?  

Secondly, the capsule was supposed to be coming down on the Delaware coastline, which made my thoughts of it being the falling piece we see in Coney Island in the original impossible.  I guess that could add credence to the thought that Clover is all grown up and wandering the East Coast.

My reaction was similar re. the Event Horizon similarities and my fondness for that movie.  It was worth a watch though and I'd put it above the first movie but below the second, even though all 3 movies were totally distinct from one another.

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing whatshername's husband yelling on the phone about not sending her  back to Earth with these "things" having invaded.  It's not hard to believe that there were multiple monsters that showed up and if the one in NYC was supposed to be a baby then it's easy to imagine there were other, larger creatures elsewhere.