DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Very excited to finally have a chance to watch The Road Movie this weekend.  This is a documentary that's, um, pretty much like America's Funniest Home Videos, but it's composed entirely of footage from Russian drivers' dashboard cams. Gonna get the biggest possible carton of popcorn.

Trailer has some borderline NSFW moments

• Like 2

God, that movie looks awesome!

The meteor clip actually made the news.  It was so surreal.

You have to think that the infamous dashcam footage of the 2012 plane crash in Tupolev made the final cut.

Holy fuck!  Den Of Thieves is two hours and twenty minutes long! 

And here you thought that Last Jedi had a patience taxing runtime..

Yeah, this movie is Grand Theft Heat V.

It is 35% Rotten, but words like "implausible" being thrown around in the reviews tend to make me think it will be fairly decent as long as there is at least one shoot-out that lasts twenty or thirty minutes and is absurdly violent.

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Den of Thieves should be no more than 90 minutes tops, judging from the trailers. 

One reviewer said that "it is the nonsensical lunacy of Triple 9 stretched out to the runtime of Heat."

Ugh.

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Rule of thumb: If you ain't as good as Heat, you shouldn't be as long as Heat.

This reminds me of the We Hate Movies podcast and they're argument that a bad movie is doubly so if it's longer than A New Hope.

20 minutes ago, (BP) said:

This reminds me of the We Hate Movies podcast and they're argument that a bad movie is doubly so if it's longer than A New Hope.

They should call this the Transformers Rule

I don't feel like sorting through which Marvel thread this thought belongs in, so I'm just gonna dump it here:

THOR 2 is on TV right now, and I swear my heart breaks for Christopher Eccleston every time I see him on screen.  Amazing actor who gets buried to the point of unrecognizability beneath some of the thickest makeup and prosthetics you'll ever see.  They even modulate his voice until he doesn't even sound like himself.  And then they cut like 75% of what little acting he could actually do underneath all that so they could put in more Loki scenes.  

This poor guy.  I hope he got all the money.

• Like 3

Went and watched Paddington 2 with the fam yesterday, and it was a damn enjoyable family movie and the unusual sequel that is better than the first movie. It's not going to change movie making or anything but, like the first one, it's just a good natured family film which we just don't get enough of any more. It doesn't have try to rely on being loud or obnoxious or sarcastic or anything like that. It was a nice two hour break from the world and we all enjoyed ourselves it deserves it's 100% on RT.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2018 at 8:14 PM, EVA said:

THOR 2 is on TV right now, and I swear my heart breaks for Christopher Eccleston every time I see him on screen.  Amazing actor who gets buried to the point of unrecognizability beneath some of the thickest makeup and prosthetics you'll ever see.  They even modulate his voice until he doesn't even sound like himself.  And then they cut like 75% of what little acting he could actually do underneath all that so they could put in more Loki scenes.  

This poor guy.  I hope he got all the money.

What makes it worse is that Malekith the Accursed should have been a really fun role to play.

The one upside to Thor 2's use of Malekith (and Kurse) is that they were so generic and forgettable that if Marvel wants to do those characters properly in a future movie they could just do so, and nobody would remember that they already used those names.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Last night, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was on TV. What a fucking performance by Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham. I was a big fan of his.

That was his first paycheck movie after Die Hard, but he couldn't help but elevate the movie by adlibbing the shit out of the character. I think every memorable quote from that movie can be personally attributed to him.

Also, this made me take a look at the original trailer, and they were for sure very self conscious about Costner's non-accent because no one says a word in the entire thing. 

• Like 2

Watched Julie Darling on Youtube the other night. One thing I noticed in the first scene is that the daughter was wearing a t-shirt that said "South Bend, Indiana" on it. Decent movie that goes in some weird directions. 

Finally caught THE GREATEST SHOWMAN. Um. Holy shit. What a big, dumb, fun spectacle. And fuck Zac Efron. It should be illegal to be that talented and that good looking. The song that's nominated for an Oscar should absolutely win.