DVDVR Message Board

JAN/FEB 2018 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just because I needed something to start the thread.

Variety had its list of 13 Most Underrated 2017 Movies (which seems mainly based on Box Office)

• The Killing of a Sacred Deer
  • The Lost City of Z
  • Battle of the Sexes
  • Stronger
  • Mudbound
  • Patti Cake$
  • Beach Rats
  • BPM (Beats Per Minute)
  • A Ghost Story
  • Personal Shopper
  • Good Time
  • Their Finest
  • In the Fade

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/most-underrated-movies-of-2017-1202649256/

9 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I watched Atomic Blonde the other day, and while its good, its not as good as it should have been. The pacing is weird, and it never really kicks into gear, for me at least.

I liked it in the theater, but was kinda non-plussed when I rented it a couple weeks ago.  Yeah, it feels like it never quite kicks into gear for me too.

My first watched movie of 2018 was 'Marjorie Prime' and it was excellent.  It's a sci-fi-y film about people using holographic learning projections to bring comfort to those in need.  Lois Smith and Jon Hamm are really good in this. It's a sad, beautiful little film about the nature of memory and its influence on our lives.  

Killing of a Sacred Deer is currently on PPV and it is pretty fucking awesome..

Personal Shopper is on rotation on the Showtime Network premium channels and is also really good.

A Ghost Story is king sized and sad and I heard an extremely positive review of Patti Cake$ on NPR yesterday morning, so I may have to check it out.

46 minutes ago, Control said:

I think DETROIT really got slept on. One of the tensest films I’ve ever seen.

I used my fiOS freebie watching Detroit last Friday. It is criminally underloved.

I hate watching movies that make me angry, though.  I was pissed off for the entire weekend after watching that.

Why, yes.  I do plan on going to see Taraji P Henderson's John Wick / Gloria pastiche before the end of the month.

I am digging the neo-Blaxploitation tone.  Cookie the Killer is going to fucking rule.

36 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I used my fiOS freebie watching Detroit last Friday. It is criminally underloved.

I hate watching movies that make me angry, though.  I was pissed off for the entire weekend after watching that.

Too bad you don't have GTA 5 anymore to go Fruitvale Station on the Los Santos PD.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Control said:

I think DETROIT really got slept on. One of the tensest films I’ve ever seen.

Fantastic movie.  Great description - it was super-tense.  And the tension just kept building. 

• Like 1

I would agree Detroit is very good. Just saw it not too long ago and was expecting some white savior bullshit but it was really good. 

In the same vain, I think Mudbound is good but I wouldn't go as far as to say underrated. I haven't seen anyone that said it was bad just that a ton of folks didn't see it. I would probably say most slept on films of 2017 rather than underrated.

Personal Shopper was fine, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it. The Lost City of Z is good, but that shit is LONG and Charlie Hunnam ain't exactly the most interesting actor.

One film of 2017 off the top of my head that I thought was slept on was The Price w/ Aml Ameen (who along with Daniel Kaluuya is going to be the new black guy you didn't know was British), Lucy Griffiths from Preacher, and Michael Hyatt. It felt like a more serious version of Get Out (black guy with an ultra neoliberal white GF) but with a Nigerian twist. Great film.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, J.T. said:

Why, yes.  I do plan on going to see Taraji P Henderson's John Wick / Gloria pastiche before the end of the month.

I am digging the neo-Blaxploitation tone.  Cookie the Killer is going to fucking rule.

Maybe I'm spoiled after seeing The Villainess, but after seeing the trailer for something like Den of Thieves, I'm just kinda over the cookie cutter plots if they're only an excuse to just shoot off several rounds. I mean I was here when people went nuts over Triple 9 but I kinda knew that would under deliver when everything was say and done. The action looks great but the actual film is going to be so-so. I'm really happy Taraji is getting a shot doing this type of film but I have my reservations for now.

If it's as good as Gloria (I'm so glad I went through the entire John Cassavetes filmography during the summer), I'm happily onboard.

• Like 1

Okay - I was reminded of this when posting in the other thread about Bright getting a sequel.

Can anyone think of another movie that has a bigger difference between the critics score and the audience score on RT?

It's at 22% on RT but the audience is giving it 88%

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I bet one of those Christian revelation movies has a wide discrepancy.

But who is actually reviewing these films because there are like a handful of critics that RT accepts that strictly base their score off whether or not the films are child friendly and stuff like that. I doubt those films have more than 30 reviews total anyway. 

A friend of mine - an avowed Transformers nut (he made a Transformer advent calendar for himself this year) - kept talking about how good The Last Knight was and I thought "Hey I didn't mind the last one, maybe the critics are just being spiteful because of Michael Bay" .   My friend was wrong and the critics were right.  It sucked. 

I enjoyed the first Bay movie. The rest were terrible even if they had parts that amused me to some extent. The best Transformers movie is and probably always will be the original animated one with Lion singing the theme.

• Like 1

Screen Rant did a story a couple of years ago about movies with the biggest difference - but all of them were ones where the critics loved a movie that the audience didn't

https://screenrant.com/movies-critics-audience-split/

At the time of their story - Willow Creek, Sharknado and Spy Kids had the biggest difference and I think Bright beats them all (without doing the exact math)

On 03/01/2018 at 4:46 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Daniel Kaluuya is going to be the new black guy you didn't know was British

The first movie I watched in 2018 was Smashed, from 2012, with Mary  Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Paul. It's a pretty standard tale of an out of control alcoholic trying to get their life back on track. But it's worth watching for the scene where Ron Swanson says "Moist Pussy". That bit is incredible.