DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

For reasons that are opaque even to myself, I pre-ordered Monster Hunter World.  I didn't even enjoy the demo all that much, but I feel some strange compulsion to force myself to get into it.

• Like 1

My Time at Portia just got released on steam early access and looks fantastic.  It's basically a mix of Stardew Valley and Breath of the Wild.  Downloading the demo now, but as long as it runs fine on my computer, it's totally getting bought soon.  

So I got a PS2 game in the mail today - Maximo: Ghosts to Glory - and my PS2 can't read it.  The reason is probably that the bottom of the disc (the side facing the down) is blue.  Blue PS2 games are usually from the early days of the console and are cd-rom, not dvd-rom.  Apparently, the cd-based games spin at a slightly different speed and aren't always read well by slim PS2's (and PS2's with weakening lasers).

Two options around this come to mind.  There's a Greatest Hits version of Maximo.  Does anyone know if the Greatest Hits version also has a blue bottom, or does it have the usual silver bottom?

Or:

Spoiler

Could I make an ISO of the game and burn it to a DVD?  The PS2 is (soft) modded, so I can go that route but I don't know if that works as easily with cd-based games.

For the record, not having any trouble with other PS1 games, which are also CD-based (but don't have the blue bottom).  Near as I can tell, the Maximo disc is in great shape.  I don't see any scratches.  I don't think the laser is in that bad of shape.

Kinda bummed.  Wanted to be playing the game tonight.

Have you tried flipping the PS2 upside down when trying to launch the game?  it might just have been a co-incidence, but I had that problem with some games and if I just flipped it upside down it would read them.

And I just put VA-11 Hall-A to bed and it's a blast.  It's really just a visual novel with an amusing Bartending mini-game, but for a 2 person team it's deep and engaging.   I'm totally on board with Sukeban's next project which seems to be some 16-bit horror game about "Mask-Chan", judging by the easter eggs they patched into the file directories.

13 minutes ago, GojiColin said:

Have you tried flipping the PS2 upside down when trying to launch the game?  it might just have been a co-incidence, but I had that problem with some games and if I just flipped it upside down it would read them.

And I just put VA-11 Hall-A to bed and it's a blast.  It's really just a visual novel with an amusing Bartending mini-game, but for a 2 person team it's deep and engaging.   I'm totally on board with Sukeban's next project which seems to be some 16-bit horror game about "Mask-Chan", judging by the easter eggs they patched into the file directories.

No, but I've seen it suggested elsewhere that the solution is to flip the console upside down or stand it on it's side, so I guess i'll try it. 

I had no idea there were cd-based PS2 games.  My first thought when I saw the disc was that someone sold me a fake.  But... nope.

1000/1000 in Assassin’s Creed:Origins. Will be starting the first DLC soon as well. Had to grind the last few red pot kills and the “poison a lvl 35+ dude, then kill him with your torch” achievements, but everything else came through natural gameplay. 

Maybe my favorite AC game ever made. 2 is right there with it, though. 

I’m ready to move on to Nier:Automata and I’m still playing a lot of XB1 PUBG as well. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

monster hunter world score 4 it good i like

Yeah, it's good.  I'm 3 hunts in and I feel like I'm starting to really get the hang of it.  Switching to sword and shield from longsword helped.

It preparation for Dark Souls Remastered I've gone back to replay my first, and favourite, 'soulsborne' game, Bloodborne. It's probably my favourite game of this generation of consoles and it's been about a year or so since i last did a run through. I'm attempting a no levelling BL4 run, I don't imagine i'll actually complete the whole game but it's going decently enough so far. I've killed the Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne and the Blood Starved Beast. The first 2 weren't actually too bad, the BSB took about 2 hours of trial and error getting it's timing down. I anticipate hitting a wall when i get to the Shadows since that fight is tough enough to manage without putting limitations on your self. Still, i'm going to stick with it for as long as possible just to see how far i can get. And how much i can torture myself until common sense kicks in and i stop.

• Like 2

Watched a bit of Monster Hunter World and it has an almost Nintendo-ish vibe of appearing to be a game for all ages yet there seems to be a lot of real gameplay to get your teeth into. Also, games are so good looking at this point that future innovation isn't really going to be about improving raw graphics so much as it is figuring out ways to get even more animations on the screen, somehow, somewhere.

31 minutes ago, Basara said:

It preparation for Dark Souls Remastered I've gone back to replay my first, and favourite, 'soulsborne' game, Bloodborne. It's probably my favourite game of this generation of consoles and it's been about a year or so since i last did a run through. I'm attempting a no levelling BL4 run, I don't imagine i'll actually complete the whole game but it's going decently enough so far. I've killed the Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne and the Blood Starved Beast. The first 2 weren't actually too bad, the BSB took about 2 hours of trial and error getting it's timing down. I anticipate hitting a wall when i get to the Shadows since that fight is tough enough to manage without putting limitations on your self. Still, i'm going to stick with it for as long as possible just to see how far i can get. And how much i can torture myself until common sense kicks in and i stop.

I'm in the midst of a more or less "do everything" run in Dark Souls 1 and although there have been a couple fuck-ups (didn't get the Priscilla's Dagger tail cut, accidentally aggro'd Seigmeyer so his quest is FUBAR), I am having a blast. All I have left in the first playthrough is the Artorias Expansion, some cleanup of misc stuff like that bullshit Ash Lake Hyrda, and farting on Gwyn. I am probably going to take a run at seeing how far into New Game+ rabbit hole I can get before the Four Kings spawn timer just shits on my life, though.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Got my 101st Platinum with Sound Shapes. PlayStation Store Japan had this on sale...just bought it and synced my save and voila! trophies!

I must have missed your 100th Plat, what game earned that prestigious spot?

2 hours ago, Basara said:

I must have missed your 100th Plat, what game earned that prestigious spot?

Sly Cooper 1 on Vita. It was also my first Platinum too. I probably should have done the stereotypical "really freakin' hard game" for my 100th, but Sly Cooper started me on Platinum hunting, so it made sense.

Games.

Mutant Football League has quite a bit of style (and Tim Kitzrow!), but none of the actual gameplay to support it. The devs should have played more Blitz: The League II and unashamedly ripped it off.

Celeste is what happens when Super Meat Boy and Fez have a baby, and that baby grows up to cause world peace or cure cancer or something. Buy it. Play it. That's what I'm saying.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Sly Cooper 1 on Vita. It was also my first Platinum too. I probably should have done the stereotypical "really freakin' hard game" for my 100th, but Sly Cooper started me on Platinum hunting, so it made sense.

You're a goddamn beast, dude! I generally have more plats than others on my friends list but I see yours and wither in humbleness!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Yeah, a fitting way to hit a milestone. I'm not sure how you do it, 101 platinums is crazy!

Jumped back into my BL4  Bloodborne run this afternoon since PSN was acting up and any game requiring an internet connection was pretty much broken. Managed to make some solid progress. Vicar Amelia and the Undead Giant (in the first chalice dungeon) can be added to the dead list. Amelia was a pretty tough fight just because she has a bunch of health and staying consistent for so long is a challenge. Undead Giant was't too bad, he hits hard but has a simple move set, once i stopped getting greedy and trying for too much damage he went down. I tried Darkbeast Paarl. He kicked my ass. Hard. I had a couple of decent runs getting him down to about 25% but he's so damn quick and hits so hard it's tough to get his move set down, i'm usually dead seconds into the fight unless i can rush him and take out a leg. The arenas quite small too so i can't hang back out of range and watch and learn his moves. Fortunately hes an optional boss and doesn't drop anything too valuable for the run so i might just skip him or come back later. I still think the Shadows will be where i hit a wall.

I'm experiencing problems during this run that i didn't notice on my original playthroughs. Problems that a lot of people seemed to have like running out of blood vials/bullets/blood echoes etc. Since Bloodborne was my first Souls style game i absolutely sucked at it at first and because of that i played and died in the first section of the game for hours unknowingly hoarding up a large amount of vials and bullets that the enemies generously drop there. Enough that i never really had a problem with running out during the rest of the game. Since i'm not levelling and not needing huge amounts of blood echos i'm just running through areas to fight the bosses. Doing this means i'm forever running out of supplies. I think i might have to just take some time to farm some stuff up before going for the next boss.

I find the dialogue borderline awful at times but if you are looking for an entertaining mindless co-op game, my brother and I had a fun day yesterday playing Full Metal Furies. We tend to play any couch co-op game that gets decent reviews. First time I turned on my XBOX One in about eight months, when did the dashboard change.

So it turns out my biggest roadblock with Monster Hunter is that I don't actually have a lot of hour-plus blocks to sit down and just concentrate on a game, especially one without a pause.  I like it, but I have to accept that there's a bunch of stuff in this game that I will never see.

My little cat guy looks like my actual cat, though, so it's my GOTY for sure.

• Like 1