Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Smelly McUgly

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Recommended Posts

Shit, I totally forgot that I probably spent over $100 for VPW2 between the game and the cart adapter.  I think I got my FPG for $40 and got my PSX modded for $30.  There was a chain of stores in the Philly area that did imports, so that was my goto.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, add $25 to that for the Gameshark until I figured out you could just Dremel the little plastic tabs off the cart.

I should really get VPW1 at some point since it's the only AKI game I don't own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Shit, I totally forgot that I probably spent over $100 for VPW2 between the game and the cart adapter.  I think I got my FPG for $40 and got my PSX modded for $30.  There was a chain of stores in the Philly area that did imports, so that was my goto.

Didn't the video game store that Stevie owned on South Street sell imported games? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, that that was the one I went to alot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I paid $125 (each) for sealed copies of Super Mario Brothers 2 and Metroid a few years ago. They have a lot of meaning to me and I wanted sealed copies to display. I can always play my loose carts if I want to play the games themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until last year, the only games I'd paid more than $60 for were Fire Pro Returns and King of Colosseum II.  Probably paid about $80-$90 for those.  Though there was also some other costs to figure in.  When I bought Fire Pro, I bought the flip-top lid and Swap Magic software.  Soured on that method after about a month, so before i bought KOC ii, I bought a modded PS2 from a website.  And then the dude was arrested by the FBI a few weeks later, which made me paranoid they'd be coming after his customers at some point.

I've gotten into retro gaming in a big way the past year or so, both from the standpoint of a player and a collector.  I'm a a huge fan of the sixth generation (PS2, Xbox, GameCube, Dreamcast).  I'm kinda picky about getting a fairly clean disc and the box, manual, etc.  It's hard to find games with boxes, manuals, inserts, etc. for earlier consoles - and when you do, the boxes and the like usually aren't in great shape - but you can get pretty much any game from 2000 on in mint condition, with box, art, manual, ads, etc.  It's just a matter of being willing to pay for it.  As much as possible, I buy "sealed" games (though i think many of those were probably resealed, but that's fine if the contents look newish).  If I'm buying "like new" or "very good", I've either looked at the discs and what-not myself, or it's from an eBay seller I deal with regularly and trust.

Haven't paid more than $100 too much lately.  Have been paying $80-$99 quite regularly.  There are only a handful of PS2/GC/Xbox games on my (lengthy) search list that I'll probably need to go over $100 for.

Dreamcast worries me a little.  Really getting to like the system, really surprised the homebrew scene still seems lively.  Due to scarcity, Dreamcast games are really expensive.  Like badly beaten up games are $50-$70 on eBay and the really nice condition stuff goes for $130-$300 (or more).  There are a few games on my list I'll probably be able to grab for $30-$40, but not many.  Seems like most every game I price is nuts expensive.  I think there are about 70 games on my Dreamcast search list right now.  Won't surprise me too much if it does't cost me at least $7,000 to acquire nice copies of all 70.

For whoever mentioned Steel Battalion, a nice copy cost me $260.  Game was opened but not scratched, controller was the first one they made (there are two variations, button color is different).  I think the market for those is something like $250-$300 or more for game and controller.  I actually was pleased to only spend $260.  I was thinking it was going to cost me at least $300 + shipping,

So far, most I've spent for PS2 game is $190.  Like I said, I'm imagining having to spend a lot more than that for a couple of the really rare Dreamcast games.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent $90 plus shipping for a clean copy of Zone of the Enders 2 on PS2 since they didn't make that many copies during the initial run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That actually sounds low compared to some long time monthly subscribers to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, having a sub from July of 04 til it shut down in November 2012 means I spent over a grand on City of Heroes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've spent a few hundred on both The Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball by the time you include all the DLC tables. For just the game, the most I've spent was probably the special edition of Warcraft III, which cost $99, I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason I didn't get all 7 seasons of pinball arcade on switch was because when I added all to cart it wouldn't let me do more than 200 bucks in a single purchase.  Then the motherfucker was gone six hours later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a ton of dreamcast games. I would be happy to sell some/most of them if you guys have a list of what you are looking for just let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This wasn't supposed to be an expensive purchase, but it may turn out to be.  I was talking to my friend about what sports games had the best dynasty modes, and started talking about how much we loved NCAA football games(pretty much the only thing I love about the NCAA, and the NCAA took it away because they refuse to pay the players).  So, I decided to see if I could find a copy, and the local Gamestop had it for $34.99.  So I get online create a team (you get the most out of the game by starting a team from scratch and building them into a juggarnaut).  The first night was great, I was able to pick the game up and play like I'd never put it down, but the next day an issue popped up.  Neither of my PS3 controllers hold much of a charge any more.  That doesn't seem like a huge deal until you realize that a new PS3 controller costs $79.99 on Amazon and a used one costs about $50, because they stopped making them.  I don't want to buy a new controller, because $80 is more than a PS4 controller, but I don't want to buy a used one when I know itis just a matter of time when it stops working.  All of this to play a 5-year-old game on a system that wasn't even plugged in when I bought it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today is the last day of the Flip Grip Kickstarter. No word on whether they'll do a second run since the KS money was mostly insurance to cover the cost of the molds.  So if you want one, it might behoove you to go back it even though they've made triple their goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After all this chat, I went to hook up my Dreamcast but the power cord was missing. 

Off to Staples. :)

edit: make that best buy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, supremebve said:

This wasn't supposed to be an expensive purchase, but it may turn out to be.  I was talking to my friend about what sports games had the best dynasty modes, and started talking about how much we loved NCAA football games(pretty much the only thing I love about the NCAA, and the NCAA took it away because they refuse to pay the players).  So, I decided to see if I could find a copy, and the local Gamestop had it for $34.99.  So I get online create a team (you get the most out of the game by starting a team from scratch and building them into a juggarnaut).  The first night was great, I was able to pick the game up and play like I'd never put it down, but the next day an issue popped up.  Neither of my PS3 controllers hold much of a charge any more.  That doesn't seem like a huge deal until you realize that a new PS3 controller costs $79.99 on Amazon and a used one costs about $50, because they stopped making them.  I don't want to buy a new controller, because $80 is more than a PS4 controller, but I don't want to buy a used one when I know itis just a matter of time when it stops working.  All of this to play a 5-year-old game on a system that wasn't even plugged in when I bought it.  

Lots of new controllers on ebay for around $30.

I've got a controller with a battery that doesn't take a charge and I'm faced with replacing battery or going for a new one.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Lots of new controllers on ebay for around $30.

I've got a controller with a battery that doesn't take a charge and I'm faced with replacing battery or going for a new one.

I bought a new one for $25.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is some kind of crazy serendipity, but unbeknownst to me yesterday was the 5 year anniversary of the last NCAA Football video game.  Here is an article about how an online community of fans have kept it alive and up to date over the years.  Oh and never forget EA was willing to pay the players for their likenesses, but the NCAA said no...say it with me guys, "THE NCAA IS A CORRUPT, EVIL CARTEL OF CRIMINALS WHO EXIST ONLY TO EXPLOIT COLLEGE ATHLETES."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/9/17434068/ncaa-football-ea-sports-video-game-return

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The schools should just go around the NCAA and license their own logos, player likenesses, etc., to EA and then just give that money to the players in some roundabout way. Add it to the value of the scholarships that they give or something, if that's possible. 

Fuck the NCAA. Making billions while prohibiting the people they make billions off of from making thousands. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile the athletic departments of the two universities I graduated from each brought in over $210 million for 2017.  Can't wait for the next round of mail/calls/emails telling me they need more money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know if its still true, but it used to be, if you wrote a check to your university and put where you wanted the money to go in the subject line, it had to go there. 

So, my donations (when I donated) went to the student paper or the film department and presumably nowhere else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, supremebve said:

This is some kind of crazy serendipity, but unbeknownst to me yesterday was the 5 year anniversary of the last NCAA Football video game.  Here is an article about how an online community of fans have kept it alive and up to date over the years.  Oh and never forget EA was willing to pay the players for their likenesses, but the NCAA said no...say it with me guys, "THE NCAA IS A CORRUPT, EVIL CARTEL OF CRIMINALS WHO EXIST ONLY TO EXPLOIT COLLEGE ATHLETES."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/9/17434068/ncaa-football-ea-sports-video-game-return

Never forget that EA used those likenesses and names anyway in their games without compensating the players at all.
 

In NCAA Football, if you update the player rosters to their real names, the game suddenly starts calling them by their real names.  And not in some auto-generated-text-to-speech kinda way either.

So screw EA, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...