DVDVR Message Board
Smelly McUgly

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

So what's this about Elder Scrolls Online being Free to Play now?

Is it worth buying for nothing?

On 12/8/2018 at 3:30 AM, Victator said:

My friend who does the art for my books wrote all the Mega Man articles in addition to some of the Data East stuff. 

Good for him.  I love that site.  So many odd games I want to own.  Or at least collect.  My PS1 wantlist gets stranger every time i visit that site.

Speaking of which, played a fair bit of Gamera 2000 over the weekend.  I had never heard of that game a month ago.  Turns out it's legit good, nearly great.  I think the designers simply played Panzer Dragoon for a bit, then decided to remake it with Godzilla monsters, but..... how is that a problem?  

For those that aren't familiar with it (and it's really obscure), it's a rail shooter.  You play as a pilot with some sort of peacekeeping force.  On the missions, you have Gamera, the flying turtle from Godzilla, as your wingman.  Gammie's got a lot more firepower than you do.  And periodically, you can charge him (?) up and he goes into berzerker mode, retracting his limbs and doing the spinning shell thing. It's a helluva a lot of fun.  Missions are your basic Godzilla-type plots.  Save the planet from evil aliens and giant monsters.

Honestly. my spoiler-free review is "It's Panzer Dragoon with Godzilla monsters thrown in.  Why the hell are you still standing here?"  If you need more of a review than that, this is not the game for you.

• Like 2

I played Panzer Dragoon Saga before I ever played the original. I was most disappointed it was a rail shooter because I was expecting another RPG. Also Saga took days to complete and I felt there was much I hadn't seen, whereas original PD took less than an hour I think.

Martian-Gothic-Unification-PlayStation-G

Martian Gothic. Resident evil clone. 3 playable characters you control separately but you should never have them meet, they merge into a creature and you get gameover...

Limited saves, limited ammo, keys get consumed, the non dead will come back to life and they walk as fast as you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, D.Z said:

Martian Gothic. Resident evil clone. 3 playable characters you control separately but you should never have them meet, they merge into a creature and you get gameover...

Limited saves, limited ammo, keys get consumed, the non dead will come back to life and they walk as fast as you.

You forgot to mention that the puzzle-solving is hard af.  I actually really like Martian Gothic.  Maybe not a great game, per se, but it held my interest.  I still like things like point-and-click adventures, so downplaying action in favor of problem solving works for me, even though I think that limits the appeal to most gamers.

Anyone wanty to sell me on Tail of the Sun?  I'm kinda fascinated by the setup (basically, you play a caveman trying to survive and grow his tribe), but the videos on Youtube don't impress me.  Jaggy graphics and lots of sparse, open spaces.  I'm fascinated by what Artdink was triyng to do with Tail of the Sun and Aquanaut's Holiday, but the technology just wasn't there yet.  They were ahead of their time with the "immersive experimental experience more than a game" thing,

Anyone actually played Tail of the Sun?

• Like 1

The current Path of Exile league might just be my favourite ever. I've felt pretty burned out on A-rpg's for quite some time, but I'm really enjoying this. I remember playing this game a thousand years ago when it was basically a Diablo II+, had three acts, and unlocking the Scion meant you were minutes from the end of the game. I've dabbled in it now and again since, but there's a lot of stuff at the back end I've never actually played. To really dig into it hard now and be enjoying it, with the absolutely crazy amount of stuff going on in this game, it's pretty wild. After skipping Bestiary (which people disliked, but has been reworked for this new one and seems fine now), I played around with both the Incursion (which was good) and Delve (which I hated but is really easy to skip if you don't want it) leagues but have really dug in harder on this one. I have no idea how the GGG team manages to pump out the new shit they do consistently once every season. My personal goal is to make it to maps for the first time. But that could still be a long way off.

• Like 1

Would there be interest in seting up a game gift/game swap thread? I have about 50 or so keys from various Humble Bundles, and perhaps could ifnd them a good home (and of course, I'd like to see what everyone else has to give :))

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The current Path of Exile league might just be my favourite ever. I've felt pretty burned out on A-rpg's for quite some time, but I'm really enjoying this. I remember playing this game a thousand years ago when it was basically a Diablo II+, had three acts, and unlocking the Scion meant you were minutes from the end of the game. I've dabbled in it now and again since, but there's a lot of stuff at the back end I've never actually played. To really dig into it hard now and be enjoying it, with the absolutely crazy amount of stuff going on in this game, it's pretty wild. After skipping Bestiary (which people disliked, but has been reworked for this new one and seems fine now), I played around with both the Incursion (which was good) and Delve (which I hated but is really easy to skip if you don't want it) leagues but have really dug in harder on this one. I have no idea how the GGG team manages to pump out the new shit they do consistently once every season. My personal goal is to make it to maps for the first time. But that could still be a long way off.

Is it still really a pain in the ass to level up? I kept getting so frustrated with the difficulty curve that I finally quit updating my copy a year or so ago. Most builds don't start until level 60, and I don't think I've ever gotten past the mid 40's without wanting to throw the computer out the window.

Added to my wishlist.  Maybe when it's not $30, I'll drop some coin on it.

I don't want to clog up the Destiny 2 thread with a simple question so I'll ask here: Is it worth jumping into the game at this point? Will I just be overwhelmed by higher level players leading to a less enjoyable game?