DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On 7/2/2018 at 3:41 PM, odessasteps said:

Vehemently Disagree. 

As always, I think Giant Gram 2000 is the best wrestling game ever, regardless of system

The DC was the best system ever for wrestling games, thanks to GG, FIre pro and NJ 4.

Better than PS2?  I mean, Fire Pro R>Fire Pro D, most people would probably rate KoC over Giant Gram. and it doesn't sound like Toukon Retsuden has much on Wrestle Kingdom. the better SVR games, All-Star Wrestling from Square, etc.

Changing topics, anyone want to recommend the first two Yakuza games on PS2?  I'm fairly interested, but the reviews seem mixed.

6 minutes ago, Player One said:

Better than PS2?  I mean, Fire Pro R>Fire Pro D, most people would probably rate KoC over Giant Gram. and it doesn't sound like Toukon Retsuden has much on Wrestle Kingdom. the better SVR games, All-Star Wrestling from Square, etc.

Changing topics, anyone want to recommend the first two Yakuza games on PS2?  I'm fairly interested, but the reviews seem mixed.

The key words there being “I think”and “most people.” ;) 

• Like 1

Point taken.  And, honestly, I'm not personally a huge fan of KoC, though i feel that - objectively - it has a lot of strengths.   I feel like the edit mode was too impenetrable for both English and Japanese speaker, and thus never really grew a thriving edit community.  And gameplay seems kinda stiff and robotic to me, which doesn't lead to enjoyable matches for me.  I just kinda assumed the entire community regarded KOC and FPR as the top IP's.

3 hours ago, Player One said:

I picked up Yakuza 3 in 2014 and beat it not too long before the announcement of the first Kiwami (which came out in Japan Jan. 2016). Still, I decided to play the PS2 versions which I bought at some point in 2016 and got a really good deal on an original run copy of Y2 + the first game.

Only played the first one so far but it's fine. Adjusting to the older combat system wasn't an issue and any load time/clunkiness problems were made tolerable by the more limited scope of the game - I wasn't having to manage 5 different maps, 4 characters and 100 minigames. The big draw would be the novelty of the English voice acting. Save for a pitiful performance by Eliza Dushku, the voice talent delivers at a level you'd expect from that much name value (Mark Hamill, Michael Madsen, Rachel Leigh Cook, Dwight Schultz, the guy who played Lex Luthor on Smallville, Jay Jay the Jet Plane). The translation clearly comes from the post GTA3 era when voice acting on console games was expanding AND studios were giddy about using as many swear words as possible in their oh-so-profitable M Rated games.

I would recommend playing with a side-quest guide, though. There's some missables. 

I knew Yakuza I had English voice acting, but didn't know who.  Not too surprised the cast is full of recognizable names; that was the thing back then.

Oddly, Yakuza 2 apparently didn't have an English dub.  PAL and NTSC-U/C versions had the original Japanese audio (so I'm told.  Haven't played either yet).  Wiki says that was because of complaints about English voice acting in Yakuza 1, but that seems bizarre.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

So, only because it's on sale...

I can totally skip Andromeda,  right?

I still liked it and would always tell someone to play it but I am also biased

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Player One said:

Oddly, Yakuza 2 apparently didn't have an English dub.  PAL and NTSC-U/C versions had the original Japanese audio (so I'm told.  Haven't played either yet).  Wiki says that was because of complaints about English voice acting in Yakuza 1, but that seems bizarre.

The Yakuza 1 cast did an excellent job of executing a script that didn't really work, because it was a weird mix of trying to translate things and trying to turn them into idioms Americans would get, with words that couldn't fit into the lip flaps left untranslated. Michael Madsen is great, but hearing him say "This guy killed his own oyabun?" is cringeworthy since he says it in a way that makes it feel like Shimano doesn't know what the word means.  I got about halfway in, and that was a persistent problem; Rosenbaum, Cook, Hamill, Madsen et al. are all selling it as hard as they can but it's clear that they don't really know what they're saying, they're just reading words on a page.  I'm currently playing Kiwami (the PS4 remake of 1) and it's amazing how much having a Japanese voiceover helps because it's way easier to translate yakuza jargon in text than it is to match lip flaps.

• Like 1

Speaking of Yakuza, I am 73 hours into Zero and about to finish the final chapter, after which I will just use a guide to finish the few substories that I have left, run a few cabaret club sessions at the Sunshine to get enough money to build a giant gold statue of Majima, and then move on...to Yakuza Kiwami. 

Zero was so full of stuff to do and so good that I fear that Kiwami will feel sort of empty in comparison. 

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Speaking of Yakuza, I am 73 hours into Zero and about to finish the final chapter, after which I will just use a guide to finish the few substories that I have left, run a few cabaret club sessions at the Sunshine to get enough money to build a giant gold statue of Majima, and then move on...to Yakuza Kiwami. 

Zero was so full of stuff to do and so good that I fear that Kiwami will feel sort of empty in comparison. 

That's why I'm waiting for Zero til after I've played both Kiwamis.  At least the K games have some things added in, playing the original Yakuza 1 would feel REALLY empty.

I'm into Kiwami now straight away from finishing Zero, and I already can't truck with crazy Goro Majima after being introduced to him as a laid back dude in Zero. If it was their intention to do so, I don't think they did enough to show that the experience with Makoto Makimura really broke him, and this doesn't seem like a self-protective crazy act, at least the way they're presenting it. 

Game is dope, though. 

I guess I'm on the flip side of things because I feel like 0 has way too much stuff to do, as I am putting off the final mission forever just to catch up on all be sub stories & business opportunities.   Spectacular game but my backlog is crying for help.

• Like 1

Aww, the latest Slay the Spire patch added a 2 energy cost to Mind Blast.  So much for hoarding and upgrading those to melt everything in the first round.

Trying to decide whether to get Wolfenstein, Doom, or Prey from the PSN sale.  I've heard good things about all three so I don't think I can go wrong.

The funny thing is Mind Blast is still strong as hell. I shredded the daily with it. Upgrading it reduces the cost from 2 to 1, and it is always innate now. It's still so strong, I don't mind the change at all.

The daily run was hilarious since it was one of those "start with 50 card" ones, and Mind Blast + Hologram... well...

22 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

The funny thing is Mind Blast is still strong as hell. I shredded the daily with it. Upgrading it reduces the cost from 2 to 1, and it is always innate now. It's still so strong, I don't mind the change at all.

The daily run was hilarious since it was one of those "start with 50 card" ones, and Mind Blast + Hologram... well...

The daily was pretty broken for me, too.   Aggregate + double energy + multicast and then just sitting around while waiting for things to die.

Anyone familiar with  a PS import fighter called the Rumble Fish?  It looks kinda interesting, but I can't find much on it and I already own a lot of Saturn/Dreamcast/PS2 fighters  - most of which are probably better.

Spent a half hour trying to google the game and still haven' learned much.  Only review I could find on the web was a user review by a dud who sounded kinda dim.  I'd like to see a couple reviews before  I go to the trouble of importing (I don't emulate/download/etc.  I'm thinking of buying a physical copy of the game off eBay).

21 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The daily was pretty broken for me, too.   Aggregate + double energy + multicast and then just sitting around while waiting for things to die.

I bought a Tempest and using gain energy cards killed Time Eater with "use Tempest to make 18 lightning orbs". It was so good.

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I guess I'm on the flip side of things because I feel like 0 has way too much stuff to do, as I am putting off the final mission forever just to catch up on all be sub stories & business opportunities.   Spectacular game but my backlog is crying for help.

Yeah, I was at 75 hours when I finished Yakuza 0, and there is still more to do. Never too much stuff, though! I love how much is packed into these cities. I would love a mobile game that was just the Cabaret Club game tweaked specifically for mobile. 

I also took time to replay the Captain Toad demo. One more week, and I'll probably drop Kiwami and every other game that I'm dipping into and out of just to 100% Captain Toad. 

Got Sleeping Dogs for ps4 for like $5 and maybe that's next. That or Nier... or Hellblade, or Doom, or Mad Max, or Last Guardian, or Ratchet and Clank, or fucking Last Of Us or... yeah, stupid flash sales/PS+.

Not to mention Spiderman is preordered, Fire Pro is around the corner, Red Dead 2, and it doesn't help that I want dem platinums.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Got Sleeping Dogs for ps4 for like $5 and maybe that's next. That or Nier... or Hellblade, or Doom, or Mad Max, or Last Guardian, or Ratchet and Clank, or fucking Last Of Us or... yeah, stupid flash sales/PS+.

Not to mention Spiderman is preordered, Fire Pro is around the corner, Red Dead 2, and it doesn't help that I want dem platinums.

I'm a definite partisan, but I'd say play Ratchet and Clank with its short-but-excellent story mode and THEN play Sleeping Dogs, which will eat 100 hours.

Finally tried a batting cage level higher than beginner, and what lunatic thought Beginner was an easier task than Normal?  "Hit 18/20 to get the best prize" is objectively more difficult than "hit 12/20 to get the best prize but you have to cycle through 3 targets."

• Like 1