DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On 12/8/2018 at 3:30 AM, Victator said:

My friend who does the art for my books wrote all the Mega Man articles in addition to some of the Data East stuff. 

Good for him.  I love that site.  So many odd games I want to own.  Or at least collect.  My PS1 wantlist gets stranger every time i visit that site.

Speaking of which, played a fair bit of Gamera 2000 over the weekend.  I had never heard of that game a month ago.  Turns out it's legit good, nearly great.  I think the designers simply played Panzer Dragoon for a bit, then decided to remake it with Godzilla monsters, but..... how is that a problem?  

For those that aren't familiar with it (and it's really obscure), it's a rail shooter.  You play as a pilot with some sort of peacekeeping force.  On the missions, you have Gamera, the flying turtle from Godzilla, as your wingman.  Gammie's got a lot more firepower than you do.  And periodically, you can charge him (?) up and he goes into berzerker mode, retracting his limbs and doing the spinning shell thing. It's a helluva a lot of fun.  Missions are your basic Godzilla-type plots.  Save the planet from evil aliens and giant monsters.

Honestly. my spoiler-free review is "It's Panzer Dragoon with Godzilla monsters thrown in.  Why the hell are you still standing here?"  If you need more of a review than that, this is not the game for you.

• Like 2

I played Panzer Dragoon Saga before I ever played the original. I was most disappointed it was a rail shooter because I was expecting another RPG. Also Saga took days to complete and I felt there was much I hadn't seen, whereas original PD took less than an hour I think.

Martian-Gothic-Unification-PlayStation-G

Martian Gothic. Resident evil clone. 3 playable characters you control separately but you should never have them meet, they merge into a creature and you get gameover...

Limited saves, limited ammo, keys get consumed, the non dead will come back to life and they walk as fast as you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, D.Z said:

Martian Gothic. Resident evil clone. 3 playable characters you control separately but you should never have them meet, they merge into a creature and you get gameover...

Limited saves, limited ammo, keys get consumed, the non dead will come back to life and they walk as fast as you.

You forgot to mention that the puzzle-solving is hard af.  I actually really like Martian Gothic.  Maybe not a great game, per se, but it held my interest.  I still like things like point-and-click adventures, so downplaying action in favor of problem solving works for me, even though I think that limits the appeal to most gamers.

Anyone wanty to sell me on Tail of the Sun?  I'm kinda fascinated by the setup (basically, you play a caveman trying to survive and grow his tribe), but the videos on Youtube don't impress me.  Jaggy graphics and lots of sparse, open spaces.  I'm fascinated by what Artdink was triyng to do with Tail of the Sun and Aquanaut's Holiday, but the technology just wasn't there yet.  They were ahead of their time with the "immersive experimental experience more than a game" thing,

Anyone actually played Tail of the Sun?

• Like 1

The current Path of Exile league might just be my favourite ever. I've felt pretty burned out on A-rpg's for quite some time, but I'm really enjoying this. I remember playing this game a thousand years ago when it was basically a Diablo II+, had three acts, and unlocking the Scion meant you were minutes from the end of the game. I've dabbled in it now and again since, but there's a lot of stuff at the back end I've never actually played. To really dig into it hard now and be enjoying it, with the absolutely crazy amount of stuff going on in this game, it's pretty wild. After skipping Bestiary (which people disliked, but has been reworked for this new one and seems fine now), I played around with both the Incursion (which was good) and Delve (which I hated but is really easy to skip if you don't want it) leagues but have really dug in harder on this one. I have no idea how the GGG team manages to pump out the new shit they do consistently once every season. My personal goal is to make it to maps for the first time. But that could still be a long way off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The current Path of Exile league might just be my favourite ever. I've felt pretty burned out on A-rpg's for quite some time, but I'm really enjoying this. I remember playing this game a thousand years ago when it was basically a Diablo II+, had three acts, and unlocking the Scion meant you were minutes from the end of the game. I've dabbled in it now and again since, but there's a lot of stuff at the back end I've never actually played. To really dig into it hard now and be enjoying it, with the absolutely crazy amount of stuff going on in this game, it's pretty wild. After skipping Bestiary (which people disliked, but has been reworked for this new one and seems fine now), I played around with both the Incursion (which was good) and Delve (which I hated but is really easy to skip if you don't want it) leagues but have really dug in harder on this one. I have no idea how the GGG team manages to pump out the new shit they do consistently once every season. My personal goal is to make it to maps for the first time. But that could still be a long way off.

Is it still really a pain in the ass to level up? I kept getting so frustrated with the difficulty curve that I finally quit updating my copy a year or so ago. Most builds don't start until level 60, and I don't think I've ever gotten past the mid 40's without wanting to throw the computer out the window.

16 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I don't want to clog up the Destiny 2 thread with a simple question so I'll ask here: Is it worth jumping into the game at this point? Will I just be overwhelmed by higher level players leading to a less enjoyable game? 

Destiny being Destiny should be what stops you from jumping into the game :)

But seriously - As someone who got in to the first game fairly late - not at all, at least when it comes to the co-op stuff.

I found, at least in the first game, most high level players were pretty nice and willing to help drag lower-level guys through stuff (and that's just the random people I would find online - not even to mention the people around here), which ultimately was how I caught up fairly quickly.

As for the Crucible - yea, that's going to suck for awhile getting your ass kicked but if you can handle that it's not that bad either.

• Like 4

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I don't want to clog up the Destiny 2 thread with a simple question so I'll ask here: Is it worth jumping into the game at this point?

Yes and No.

You are five seasons behind iand the content grind curve is really steep right now.   You should still have a lot of fun doing single player PvE story mode stuff, but the real game begins when you finish that and start doing Strikes and Raids and begin grinding bounties and other side content.

As for PvP, the TTK advantage will always go to the tryhards that grind Crucible Pinnacle Weapons quests and have the latest and greatest load-outs, but if you have some passing PvP experience you should be able to hold your own.

Gambit is more fun than it should be.  Bungie really knocked it out of the park with this game mode.

• Like 2

Re: Hardcore Gaming 101

They've published a number of books.  Is the material in the books original or is it just a compilation of reviews and articles found on the website. 

I might buy a couple books anyway to support the site, but I'd be more interested in the books if they contained exclusive content.  My initial impression is that they are just compilations of pieces written for the website.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Player One said:

Re: Hardcore Gaming 101

They've published a number of books.  Is the material in the books original or is it just a compilation of reviews and articles found on the website. 

I might buy a couple books anyway to support the site, but I'd be more interested in the books if they contained exclusive content.  My initial impression is that they are just compilations of pieces written for the website.

Thanks.

More often it's the opposite; the Adventure Games and Japanese Obscurities books both had dozens of entries written just for them that were slowly migrated to the site (and there are still some entries in each that haven't been)

• Like 1

5c4ecc9f07f4391603f0c51d84e2a4536bdf09d2

giphy.gif

Replaying this. GameCube version  is the best though. Screens above aren't GameCube, which has better models unlike ps1. I also notice that the GameCube version reduces the slow transition between the camera angles locations and so does the sourcenext version.

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

More often it's the opposite; the Adventure Games and Japanese Obscurities books both had dozens of entries written just for them that were slowly migrated to the site (and there are still some entries in each that haven't been)

Thanks.

Has anyone played the Japanese versions of Guardian Heroes or Burning Rangers  (both Saturn games).  I have a good-sized import collection and I occasionally pick up the Japanese version of a game even if it had a US release.  My general rule of thumb = fighters, shmups, arcade ports like Bubble Bobble can be played without understanding Japanese; rpg's and some action adventure games = not so much.

Burning Rangers and Guardian Heroes look playable without understanding a lot of Japanese, but Guardian Heroes has a story mode and looks to have a fair bit of dialogue.  Burning Rangers has an in-game navigator who warns you of danger and tells you where to go next.  \

I'm trying to decide which versions to buy.  import versions are probably going to be cheaper, but I feel like I''ll be missing a little too much if I try to slog through the Japanese.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Anyone played or playing Everspace?

I became aware this was a thing since it was recently released on Switch, but has been available for a bit now on PC.

It's pricey for a blind buy for me on Switch, but it's on sale for PC and PS4 on Humble and PSN.

Normally I would go for the cheaper PC/Console version as they're superior, but I've really taken to the portability of the Switch.

SMASH UPDATE:

Up to 45 characters, a little tired of losing unlock fights (fuck you, Meta Knight).  As someone who was obsessed with the GBA Fire Emblems but could never get into the waifu-infested recent ones, I'm kinda over having them be the ones I keep getting. (I'm also bitter that we're never going to get Lyndis or Hector as playable.)  World of Light progress has been a little slow, but I'm getting there.  Wonder if I should've chosen a different path at the beginning.  Ryu's remains my favorite arcade mode path though I did really like Simon's (all "monsters").  

YAKUZA 0 UPDATE:

Chapter 11.  I finally kind of have the hang of club management, but after Fist of the North Star's mission-based version (where you have a specific goal for the session that unlocks a reward if you meet it), the open ended grind for money and fans is hard to get into.  

OTHER SHIT:

In the 2 weeks since it was added to PSNow I have tried to start a character in For Honor 4 times and always end up quitting out before getting started because it's too late in the evening or I suddenly just want to play Resogun again. Meanwhile, GF has gotten me playing Diablo 3 again; we're about 2/3 of the way thru Act II with my Crusader and her Witch Doctor.  I need to go back and do some rifts on my Demon Hunter to finally max her out, haven't touched her in nearly 2 years.  And I've been fooling around a little with the second Williams pack for Pinball FX; it's still very cool, but whereas the first one had 2 games I had already logged dozens of hours on, none of these are tables I have that much affection for.  I hope the next wave includes Black Knight 2000 or one of the Pin Bot trilogy or something like that (or Monster Bash...they have a deal with Universal and a deal with the company that owns the Williams pinball IP, surely they can get us Monster Bash?)

• Like 1

For Honor was a great concept with some serious issues like connectivity and rarely were there competitive games. Perhaps a sequel could help but there really shouldn't be connection problems like that in 2017 and '18.

For Honor was pretty awful at launch but to their credit I hear from people that hated it at the time they've done a ton of work on it since and it's actually pretty good. Say what you will about Ubisoft, but they aren't EA when it comes to quality control or just abandoning games at launch, for the most part.

Can we even say that of EA these days? They're adding maps and characters (that have to be unlocked with a decent amount of in-game currency mind you - "hey maybe you'd like to purchase some in-game currency?!") to Battlefront II still and BFV will receive support for a while with Tides of War bullshits. The Angry Joe review of BFV is pretty accurate. Not nearly as fun as the series once was and it feels incomplete in the same way that Battlefront felt incomplete. And it's very much like Battlefront from UI to gameplay. Dice needs more time to make these games. What EA does do is the terrible annual releases that doesn't give their teams enough time to really make the quality games that they did in the past. I look back to BF 1942, Bad Company 2, and even BF4 and I look at V and it pales in comparison in terms of fun. Joe said something along the lines of Dice having four years to make BF4.