DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

A friend of mine works at Zenimax who does QA testing for the game and she's beyond baffled at all that's going on.  Ever since the game came out it's been a sore subject for her and she doesn't even want to talk about the leak.  It's amazing just how much they fucked this up in a short period of time.  I hope they get this all fixed up for the long haul but don't know if they'll have the fanbase long-term.

I am kind of surprised there's been little to no talk about Super Smash Bros Ultimate which comes out tomorrow.  With it having seemingly every single thing that's ever occurred in the Smash series we're pretty damn excited to play it.  Anybody else picking it up?  If so I'd definitely be down for online matches.

27 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I am kind of surprised there's been little to no talk about Super Smash Bros Ultimate which comes out tomorrow.  With it having seemingly every single thing that's ever occurred in the Smash series we're pretty damn excited to play it.  Anybody else picking it up?  If so I'd definitely be down for online matches.

I'm going to play the shit out of Smash Brothers...I honestly don't know anything else to say about it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I have never played a Smash game before but I'm tempted to get this one just to see what all the fuss is about.

It's well worth trying out.  Basically you pit damn near every major (and some minor) Nintendo character against each other and for good measure have outside characters like Cloud and Solid Snake in there to duke it out.  And somehow they give them all a fighting style and moves that make sense.  I hope you give it a shot as it's going to be a good one.

44 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I have never played a Smash game before but I'm tempted to get this one just to see what all the fuss is about.

Smash Brothers is about as fun of a game as you'll ever play, but it's appeal is kind of inexplicable.  It is a 4-player fighting game where you try to knock your opponents off the edge of the stage.  It is super simple, so a complete novice feels like they can compete, but the gameplay is so tight and responsive that you can get really good at it.  Four friends, a couple of drinks, and Smash Brothers is guaranteed hours of fun.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Smash Brothers is about as fun of a game as you'll ever play, but it's appeal is kind of inexplicable.  It is a 4-player fighting game where you try to knock your opponents off the edge of the stage.  It is super simple, so a complete novice feels like they can compete, but the gameplay is so tight and responsive that you can get really good at it.  Four friends, a couple of drinks, and Smash Brothers is guaranteed hours of fun.  

Yeah, the only things really holding me back are lack of local people to play with and that my backlog has gotten truly apocalyptic.  Maybe after I finally finish Zelda and RDR2 I'll pick it up.

• Like 1

I'm currently thinking how I'm going to fit SSB in considering AC Odyssey is getting really goddamn good.  I sense I'll play that while my wife works on her file then she'll play something else when it's my turn.

And @supremebve explained it much better than I could.  My current friendships have been formed by the countless times we'd get together and play Smash for hours.

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

Sounds like that game they play on UUDD that used to infuriate Luke Harper.

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm currently thinking how I'm going to fit SSB in considering AC Odyssey is getting really goddamn good.  I sense I'll play that while my wife works on her file then she'll play something else when it's my turn.

I'm going to be a passenger on a 5-6 hour trip for Christmas, so I'll have plenty of time to get some Smash Bros. in.  There are already discussions for a Smash night among my friends.  I've got to get through AC Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 76(?), and all the other crap I have going on...but I'll make time for Smash Brothers.

• Like 1

I've only played SSB on the Wii one time years ago. 

I'm not a fighting game fan, with exceptions for Injustice Gods Among Us and One Must Fall 2097, so the appeal isn't there for me. 

Plus the issue of having no IRL friends to play it with doesn't help. 

But SSB does look pretty damn amazing from the videos I've seen. 

Just not sure I want to take a $60 gamble at this time. 

9 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm going to play the shit out of Smash Brothers...I honestly don't know anything else to say about it.

I'm a little bitter that I probably won't get to play it til Monday (won't be home between leaving for work tomorrow and late Sat night, and my leasing office is closed Sunday), but I'm stupidly excited.  I've probably sunk more time into Smash than any other short-session game series in the last 15 years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Yeah, the only things really holding me back are lack of local people to play with and that my backlog has gotten truly apocalyptic.  Maybe after I finally finish Zelda and RDR2 I'll pick it up.

Apparently what I really meant by this was "I'm going  to impulse buy it tonight."  So I guess I will be seeing what all the fuss is about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Apparently what I really meant by this was "I'm going  to impulse buy it tonight."  So I guess I will be seeing what all the fuss is about.

I'm so tempted to post the "One of us!" video but I'll be nice.  Glad you got it though.

I only had 20 or minutes to play it before work (yay for digital copies!)  I would highly recommend watching the opening video at least once as that song is goddamn beautiful.    While there was the 3DS version a few years ago there's something completely satisfying about playing a legit console version of Smash and being able to take it with you.  Gameplay feels great and while there's a ton to unlock it's been a blast so far.  I can't wait to get home and play it some more.

I wonder if we should just create a thread for this so we don't "clutter" the catch-all thread with Smash talk.  I tend to be a bit gun-shy when it comes to creating topics.

44 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I played about 30 minutes last and I have no fucking idea what I'm doing.  Beating peoples' asses as Mario is pretty fun, though.

The help section on the main screen is pretty darn good.  There's also training mode which should help too.  But I've played with many people who just button mashed and they did pretty well for themselves.

50 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I played about 30 minutes last and I have no fucking idea what I'm doing.  Beating peoples' asses as Mario is pretty fun, though.

That is how everyone starts.  Experiment with as many characters as possible, you'll start to figure out who you like and how their moves fit your playing style.  Eventually you'll have a favorite, a backup, someone you like to play around with, and then a, fuck this I'm not losing this round character.  

• Like 1

I feel like Sakurai really tried yet again to offer a compelling SP mode, and I can't deny that World of Light or whatever it's called has lots of stuff going on in it, but man, I just do not find it as captivating as the typical Netherrealm SP story mode. 

I'm mostly here for the character, setting, and music tourism, though, so my lack of satisfaction with the SP story mode is ultimately okay. 

On 11/25/2018 at 9:30 AM, Player One said:

Soo... this year, I've been spending a lot of my late evenings (I only sleep four or so hours a night) researching games to come up with a pretty complete want-list.  That led me to http://www.hardcoregaming101.net, which has thousands of write-ups for games, with an emphasis on imports and just plain weird and obscure games.

Holy Sh**!  This site is going to cost me so much money.  I have an affinity for collecting obscure games and imports, so I already own a lot of odd games (the Parodius series, Cho Aniki, LSD: Dream Emulator, Mr. Mosquito, Umihara Kawase, Chulip, etc., etc., etc.) and I thought that I had dived through the catalogs of various systems pretty thoroughly.  And then I found HCG 101 and started reading write-ups of Gamera 2000, psychedlic beat-em-up Pu-Li-Ru-La,  weird mom-defuses-booby-trapped-bombs game Suzuki Bakuhatsu, Slap Happy Rhythm Busters.

A lot - and i mean, a lot - of the writeups are for obscure games that have very little info out there on the web).

Highly recommended if you're looking for info on obscure games or imports

My friend who does the art for my books wrote all the Mega Man articles in addition to some of the Data East stuff. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 8:37 PM, supremebve said:

I enjoyed all of them at the time, but I'm unsure how well they'd hold up now.  The game was state of the art at the time, but I could see them feeling clunky and unresponsive based on how much the technology has improved since they first came out.  Storywise, you could probably watch a YouTube recap and not miss much.  Those games were much more about brutal action than deep storytelling.

As helpful as all this was, I ended up getting Detroit Becoming Human instead as it was more the type of game I enjoy. As Rodney the Piper said, “Just when you think you have all the answers I change the questions” haha 

• Like 1

Now playing Yakuza Kiwami. For a guy who's supposed to be a bad ass criminal known for his exceptional badassness, I seem to spend a lot of time being nice to people and saving stray dogs and that. It does feel an awful lot like Shenmue. Although if I actually played Shenmue again, it would probably feel a lot slower than I remember it.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, AxB said:

Now playing Yakuza Kiwami. For a guy who's supposed to be a bad ass criminal known for his exceptional badassness, I seem to spend a lot of time being nice to people and saving stray dogs and that. It does feel an awful lot like Shenmue. Although if I actually played Shenmue again, it would probably feel a lot slower than I remember it.

He's a mobster with a heart of gold, dammit.  (And Shenmue's pacing is like Yakuza if Yakuza had a constant day-night cycle with a curfew, and fights once every third day, and minigames were mandatory.)

HOLY FUCK SMASH BROS

I'm up to 26 characters, too many of whom are Fire Emblem (though at least I've got Robin). I'd forgotten how useful Pac-Man's hydrant drop can be as an anti-ground.

I know people can be super sensitive about Smash spoilers, so I'll put my classic mode ranting here:

Every character gets a unique set of stages that are always the same and center around a theme.  A lot of characters don't fight Master Hand; for instance, Bayonetta fights mostly bird- and air-themed characters, before fighting a swarm of Pits and a giant Palutena.  Mario only fights other Nintendo legends, Donkey Kong follows the road from the jungle to New Donk City for a showdown with the Mario Bros, etc.  The cleverest one is Ryu: his fights are all HP battles rather than Smash, all set on the Omega versions of stages.  After Ken he fights Zero Suit Samus colored as Chun-Li, Incineroar as Zangief, Donkey Kong as Blanka--which is where I figured out the joke--Little Mac as Balrog and Meta-Knight as Vega before he and Ken take on the Hand in a Dramatic Battle.  It's quite cool.  Not sure why Pac-Man's final boss is Dracula, though.  Is it a biting contest?

Gonna have to post a few songs to the occasionally-resurrected VGM thread as the new Castlevania and Metal Gear arrangements are SICK.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I got Katamari Damacy Reroll via Steam. I loved this game so much when it first came out, and it's still as delightfully charming as ever. I wonder if this is Namco testing the waters for a new non-mobile game. I certainly hope so, anyway.