DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

@JLSigman Although I will say, if you're looking for a sci-fi shooting game, the Mass Effect trilogy is superior to the 2 Destiny games in almost every way (if you're looking for a Spawn Kill Die FPS, Destiny is it; If you want a story with characters, Mass Effect shits all over Destiny from a great height). And while they aren't free, they are cheap as anything if you've still got a PS3 or XB360.

Same writers/ publishers as the Dragon Age games. Most people who like one, like both, except those who only play (or refuse to play) fantasy games.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:56 AM, Gonzo said:

Well, that's a damn shame.

After experiencing the bugs in Fallout: New Vegas and SW:KOTOR2 and seeing how crappy Alpha Protocol was, I wouldn't say it's a damn shame at all.

Frankly, I'm shocked that Obsidian is still in business.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, JLSigman said:

I followed a link and got a free copy of Destiny 2. This will probably be a short experiment, much like the Overwatch attempt. ? 

Remember that there is a DVDVR clan and try to hook up with your PS4 peeps if you get the chance.

Since it appears that you are crap at Overwatch, if you want to inspire yourself to rage quit D2 quickly and never touch the game ever again, go play some Competitive Crucible. 

You will hate the game in no time flat.

• Haha 1

Wound up with a GBA SP and I'm going through the killer backlog I bought for myself when I was in my late teens. Just now getting around to Astro Boy: Omega Factor, with Gunstar Super Heroes, Drill Dozer, and Mario vs. DK on the horizon. I've been sizing up all the > $20 games I don't already own and I'm eyeing Wario Ware: Twisted, Minish Cap (still not sure how I missed that one), R-Type III: Third Lightning, and both Klonoas. Almost bit on River City Ransom EX but you can't save your story progress?? 

• Like 1

Went over to a friend's house last night and he brings out this big heavy box, opens it up, and shows the Taco Bell Xbox One X he won. I swear, it seems like a lot of people are winning these. He doesn't even go to Taco Bell that often. Makes me tempted to buy one of those boxes to just try, but I don't feel like throwing away the money.

Last night, I decided to pay tribute to the result of the Soccer game by going on Rocket League, changing my antenna to an England Flag, playing on the USA servers and winning all my matches.

I didn't win all my matches. I won six and lost one. The play style on the American servers is very different to the Euro style. It's a lot less team oriented when you play with Americans. People don't expect you to pass to them, but if you get in a good shooting position, there's a very good chance one of your teammates driving into your back bumper and taking the shot for themselves.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

if you get in a good shooting position, there's a very good chance one of your teammates driving into your back bumper and taking the shot for themselves.

i've never played Rocket League (actually just downloaded it onto my Switch last night!) but that is 100% what i'd expect.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Went over to a friend's house last night and he brings out this big heavy box, opens it up, and shows the Taco Bell Xbox One X he won. I swear, it seems like a lot of people are winning these. He doesn't even go to Taco Bell that often. Makes me tempted to buy one of those boxes to just try, but I don't feel like throwing away the money.

I happen to like the spicy double chalupa, so I've bought some of the boxes.

Still haven't won anything.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:41 AM, J.T. said:

After experiencing the bugs in Fallout: New Vegas and SW:KOTOR2 and seeing how crappy Alpha Protocol was, I wouldn't say it's a damn shame at all.

Frankly, I'm shocked that Obsidian is still in business.

They were bought by Microsoft, hence the magic 8-ball reply. There was a topic on some message board where Chris Avellone gave a bunch of comments and answers about Obsidian's issues. Long story short, the actual owners are massively inept and have a tendency to screw themselves and everyone under them over. Honestly, I kind of suspect under MS they may be better off since I can't see MS allowing the owners (if they are still there) to have nearly as much power as before since MS was one of the companies they had previously pissed off.

Seems to be no plans for N64 mini now. I don't blame them because because they had to use multiple emulators for certain N64 games on the WII U to run them somewhat properly. While most emulator experts seems to agree N64 emulation isn't that accurate or plays all games.

Bulletstorm was free on PS+ this month. It is the only straight-up FPS that I've enjoyed enough to beat the SP Campaign of in the last decade or so. The way that the game pushes you forward incessantly and gives you a number of options for killing enemies is exhilarating, and I have to say that dicing up a wave of enemies in a kill room by using a variety of weapons and environmental hazards feels SO GOOD.

The dumb story and shitty dialog that are done with tongue in cheek are slightly less annoying because they are done tongue-in-cheek. If you're irritated by it, skip the cutscenes, mute the game, and enjoy the pew-pew. 

14 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

has anyone played any of the jackbox party games?  Can you do 1 player against the computer? Are they gameshow like?  I love games like wheel of fortune etc and wish they made more for PS4.

A few games are one player, but most require opponents

Lol, anyone want to try to sell me on PS1 pinball games?  I kinda want to add a couple pinball games to my retro games collection.  There are a couple cool Saturn pinball games I want to pick up (Devil''s Crush, Necronomicon and Devil's Crush), and the Dreamcast/PS2 gen got some good comps like the Williams Hall of Fame disc.  A lot of people seem to the Pro Pinball series for PS1, but the games look pretty bland to me and the reviews are kinda average.  Considering picking up a couple just to have something represented in my really large PS1 collection, but so far can't even talk myself into that.  

Every time I open the Video Game thread and see Destiny, Red Dead, Fallout and WWE2k19 all as current and highly active games, I'm honestly amazed we've all managed to remain employed and not oversleep someones way into a pink slip.  

That being said ... my vacation time sure is a bit lower that usual this year due to days being taken to "get work done around the house".

• Haha 1

I don't own any PS1 pinball games and I seek 'em out pretty actively. Nintendo handhelds are really where it's at - GBA has good Mario, Pokemon, House of the Dead and Muppet pinball games.  The DS had a good Metroid one, and he Kirby pinball game for Gameboy is aces. 

Oh yeah, FLIPNIC for PS2. Total diamond in the rough.