DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Shared Platinum.  Rondo's trophies are just basically 100% the game, each hostage rescued, beat a stage taking no damage, and beat the game as Maria.  Overall that's not that bad.  You can in theory get everything with 2 playthroughs each game.

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is making me realize how bad I am at video games. I love/hate the boss fights in that they're great modern adaptations of old school 8-bit era style bosses with simple patterns that progressively get more difficult. But holy fuck are they tanks. I also finally made it through the city to fight THOUZER but I don't have ANY healing items. I finally had to drop it to easy and it's still probably not a thing I'll be able to do. I used all my food on the Mystery Man and all of the stores were shut down in the city once it was under siege. Game is really fun but holy shit I just want to get through it at this point so I can play RDR2 with a clean slate. 

edit: had to reload saved data and found a bunch of vendors in the sections of the city I didn't bother exploring on the way to THOUZER. Ready to implode this bitch.

10 hours ago, Robert s said:

Is there any way to grind? Killing enemies gives you barely any XP,  the side quests don't give you much either (something in the 20-50 point range).

If you spend your time doing the side quests and exploring the ? Areas igof the maps it will add up pretty quickly and you will end up at least 5 or 6 levels higher than the recommended level for the main story quests.

Realized last night I've become a Sega whore. A year ago, if you had told me I'd prefer Sega consoles to Nintendo or Sony, I'd have laughed.  But the Genesis holds up for me better than the SNES - yes, even the platformers - and the Saturn is probably my favorite retro console.

It helps that I prefer 2D over 3D for platformers, fighters, and shmups.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:47 PM, Death From Above said:

The good news is there's currently no player to player communication. I will say though they really should at least add some sort of friends list system. One of my gripes with Elder Scrolls Legends was that you're in this giant multiplayer game but never shook the feeling of total isolation.

Magic absolutely draws in some utter shitheads. It's the Counter Strike: Global Offensive of cards. No argument there.

I played a couple dozen or so games and can say that the current interface demolishes the old one.

I've won a few, but lost at least one because of my own confusion.

Liking it so far.

Will probably spend the $4.99 and pick up the welcome deal this weekend when I have more time to play.

So I spent ten minutes with the Requiem version of Rondo of Blood before work. So far so good. I'm so glad that this game has finally gotten legit US distribution in the last ten years. Play it in Japanese, though: the super-simple dialogue just sounds terrible and childish in English even though the same actors and localizers did much better with the updated version in Chronicles.

HOKUTO UPDATE: dammit, I need more hostesses! I only have 6 and they're getting burnout because I can't staff a whole shift. But I can't get to Rank C to start recruiting if I don't make money and I can't make money if I don't have girls on the floor.

I made it to the first Raoh fight last night and I got frigging butchered. Unlike Rei, where I kept botching a fatal QTE, this was just him curbstomping me fair and square.

And fuck Mr. Heart in the Mark 3 game. I swear you could punch him for 30 min and he wouldn't die. I wish this game had health items like Black Belt (the US version, I mistakenly said Kenseiden beforebecause I played a ton of Master System games on Gametap back in the day and they run together)

I'm now a Rocketeer in Rocket League. Which actually means nothing now, because level 100 is easy with the Rocket Pass. Just play every day and go 50/50 and you too can be a Rocketeer, which used to be just for elite level players.

So, watching some streams of the Requiem version of SotN since I won't get a chance to play later, Konami was inaccurate in their description of what they released, and they put the PSP port of SotN on it instead of a upscaled port of the PSX version.  Needless to say, I'm annoyed as the dialogue and voice acting is different, as well as a few item locations (like the fucking Holy Sword), and controls (like the fucking mist being L1+R1 instead of being R2). So yeah, I'm not happy, but I'll deal.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:47 PM, Death From Above said:

The good news is there's currently no player to player communication. I will say though they really should at least add some sort of friends list system. One of my gripes with Elder Scrolls Legends was that you're in this giant multiplayer game but never shook the feeling of total isolation.

WotC announced yesterday that we're getting a friends list and the ability to challenge friends to games in November, with more ways to interact with your friends down the road.

I'd like it if they'd fix the 5th copy problem instead of getting bupkiss for my fifth copy of a mythic rare that I open, but I can keep dreaming I guess.

Other than that middling complaint, I'm having a blast with MTG: Arena. I haven't gotten a 5-0 competitive league yet but I did finish with two 5-1s with Boros Angels. I'm really looking forward to doing the Dominaria quick drafts that they are replacing Ravnica quick drafts (at least for the time being).

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Do the Castlevania games still stand up if you aren't someone who has any history with the games?

It depends on how you like your retro-games.  The standard Side Scroller Castlevanias are insanely hard, as is on par for most 2D side Scrollers from the 3-4th gen.  The N64 games were garbage.  SotN is the most accessable for newer players due to it being somewhat easier than previous entries, as well as having the RPG and non-linear elements in it, and it set the standard for Metroidvania games going forward being good without being overly technical.  The GBA castlevanias are very good as well.  The PS2 ones are hit or miss.  I liked Lament, but didn't like the 2nd.

I loved the NES Castlevania's, but they're fucking hard and if hard retro's aren't your thing, you're going to hate them, especially since you need at least a map for 2 and should know the different routes for 3 to get all the characters.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, Raziel said:

It depends on how you like your retro-games.  The standard Side Scroller Castlevanias are insanely hard, as is on par for most 2D side Scrollers from the 3-4th gen.  The N64 games were garbage.  SotN is the most accessable for newer players due to it being somewhat easier than previous entries, as well as having the RPG and non-linear elements in it, and it set the standard for Metroidvania games going forward being good without being overly technical.  The GBA castlevanias are very good as well.  The PS2 ones are hit or miss.  I liked Lament, but didn't like the 2nd.

I loved the NES Castlevania's, but they're fucking hard and if hard retro's aren't your thing, you're going to hate them, especially since you need at least a map for 2 and should know the different routes for 3 to get all the characters.

You'll definitely need a map for Simon's Quest. And some patience for the day/night transitions. And a guide to tell you how the weapons work. It's still a great game though.

Play Vampire Killer, it's less linear than Nes Castlevania. With puzzles elements.

I guess one could download the Japanese version of Castlevania and turn on Easy mode. Hardest game might be Haunted Castle (arcade) but it's shorter. There's Vs Castlevania as well,  harder version of the Nes game.

Simon's Quest is gonna send any newbie running to the hills, it shouldn't even be mentioned here. I'd say Super Castlevania 4 is the best traditional game in the series for a first timer - a nice, moderate difficulty level with great design + all kinds of cool technical tricks. Also loved the Rondo remake for PSP if you're a little more hardcore - the game had SotN in full as an unlockable and from what I gather a lot of people who bought DXC couldn't even get far enough to earn it.

The proper Metroidvania line, Symphony of the Night (PS1) - > Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow (GBA) -> Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia (DS) are all uniformly great and pretty easy to get in to. They're rooted in proper Castlevania gameplay but strike a much more reasonable difficultly level thanks to an experience point system. None of them are so storyline driven that playing them out of order matters much and, save for Aria, aren't that hard to track down. Which is a little bit of a shame because I'd argue Aria is the best of all of them, but there is a two-in-one GBA cartridge that contains it + Harmony that retails for around 40-ish bucks, nearly the exact same as Aria solo.

Simon's Quest is a game that has so many cool ideas that they tried to make happen just a few years too soon. It's so ambitious and I respect what it tried to do, but it's also definitely the weakest of the three NES games.

How are Lords of Shadow 1 and 2? I grabbed them super cheap on sale but have never actually got around to it, because if your backlog is under 200 games do you even really have a Steam account?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

How are Lords of Shadow 1 and 2? I grabbed them super cheap on sale but have never actually got around to it, because if your backlog is under 200 games do you even really have a Steam account?

The first Lords of Shadow is fun but crushingly inessential. It has some cool setpieces and puzzles, Patrick Stewart tries his damnedest to elevate the terrible lines he's given, but the rebooted history doesn't work IMO, in part because they reused old character names willy-nilly (if your boss does not look like Max Schreck please don't call him Olrox) and in part because some of the underlying ideas are just dumb. But if you're into games that are a mix of Uncharted-style transversal and DMC-style combofests it's worth twelve hours anyway.

I fucking hated Shadow 2.

• Thanks 1

We used to blame a lot of the difficulty of Simon's Quest on a bad translation, as if all the misleading advice and rumors were originally meant to be helpful but were mistranslated. Aside from a small handful of lines, though, turns out most of the townspeople are still unhelpful and/or lying just as much in the original Japanese. That jerk still tells you to headbutt the cliff.

• Haha 1

So I tried to be a terrible person and order an Xbone & RDR2 from Gamestop to take advantage of their $100 off thing.  But my credit card company flagged it, so I canceled the order and tried again after getting the card people to stop being dumb.  But, it was Gamestop's turn to be dumb, because apparently now I'm over the maximum allowed number of bundles to purchase due to the first order having existed at all (never mind it was canceled).  Good job costing yourselves $500 by not having a smarter online ordering system.  Fucking nitwits.

• Haha 1

I don't recall ever rage-playing my way through a game before, so today was a first.  I hooked up one of my import PS2's and started playing the Japan-exclusive 2.5D remake of Adventure Island.  It's a cutesy platformer.  What could go wrong?

Lots apparently.  You have to eat a steady supply of fruit or your dude starves to death and dies, and.... my life meter drained so quickly that I was dying repeatedly in the first 60-90 secs.  What.  Da.  Hale?  I was coming unglued at the game after about 10 min of gameplay.

Fortunately, I have plenty of other import options to play.  I'll come back to Adventure island.  Really, that Hudson Selection series is pretty damn great.  Anyone with an interest in import retro gaming should check it out.  It was a short-lived series of Hudson remakes of classic Hudson titles released for PS2 and GameCube.  There's a fun remake of Star Soldier that may be the best shmup on the GameCube, a pretty ingenious 3D remake of Lode Runner called Cubic Lode Runner, and a 2.5 remake of Bonk's Adventure that I really like.

Got a few new PS2 imports arriving in today's mail.  A couple fighters (there were a lot of good fighting games re-released for the PS2 in the waning days of the console.  A Last Blade compilation.  Sure).  Also getting the obscure namCollection - Namco import compilation featuring enhanced ports of a couple Namco PS1 titles - Ace Combat 2, Mr. Driller, Klonoa, and a couple others.  Bought it mostly because of Klonoa (also because it's rare and obscure).

Finally started playing Sonic platformers on the Genesis.  Choice.  Can't believe i waited so long to check those out.  Our entire household has also become addicted to Parappa the Rapper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Player One said:

Fortunately, I have plenty of other import options to play.  I'll come back to Adventure island.  Really, that Hudson Selection series is pretty damn great.  Anyone with an interest in import retro gaming should check it out.  It was a short-lived series of Hudson remakes of classic Hudson titles released for PS2 and GameCube.  There's a fun remake of Star Soldier that may be the best shmup on the GameCube, a pretty ingenious 3D remake of Lode Runner called Cubic Lode Runner, and a 2.5 remake of Bonk's Adventure that I really like.

For people who don't want to import, but are interested in these games, he original versions of these games are purchasable on the Playstation Store for any of you Vita owners out there. New Adventure Island is directly downloadable to Vita, but Bonk's Adventure needs the PS3 transfer.

I think now that the Wii Shop is down, this might be the easiest way to play these old classics. Maybe they're up on the WiiU Shop, too, but I never had a WiiU.