DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Considering it's all items and enough hearts to get the white sword, whoever made the state had to go through some overworld locations and pretty much had to run through the dungeons up to the bosses.  so yeah, some poor bastard had to grind all that shit out.

It's not actually all items. It looks like it's just the ones you can get from the Overworld with no ladder, raft, etc. (arrows but no bow, bombs, Blue Ring, White Sword, Power Bracelet, Magic Shield, Old Lady's Letter and a Red Potion), 255 Rupees and six hearts (the White Sword only needs 5).  No boomerang or any other treasures that would require you to enter a dungeon.  At least in the starting area (green forest and around the lake where Level 1 is), it looks like all the secret doors have been opened but only one free-money spot had been taken. Maybe they just scammed the gambling hut.  I didn't care enough to spend more than 5 or so minutes on it...but hilariously, this is exactly how I played when I was 9 (spend hours grinding the money to get a Blue Ring, grab the hearts to get a White Sword and only then do Lv1)

• Like 1

I'm pretty much glued to Konami's Pixel Puzzle Collection. The puzzles aren't hard, but the music, the deep dives into Konami history, and the satisfaction of autofilling the rest of a line with X-marks when you properly color in the right squares is just. So. GOOOOOOD.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:32 AM, JLSigman said:

I won a code for Overwatch on PC yesterday, so today I will see just how badly I suck at it. 

Yeah, I won't be fighting anything but the computer for the foreseeable future. ?

Kinda wish there was a story mode. Oh well.

The latest entry into the hit shooter franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, has been out for almost a week, but in its first three days the game has already set a new record for Activision with over $500 million grossed, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Having earned over half a billion dollars in its first three days of release, Black Ops 4 has set the record for the biggest digital launch for Activision, surpassing last year’s Call of Duty: WWII, which eventually crossed $1 billion with a month of release. The physical sales did, however, set a new record for the lowest in the series in over a decade since Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

So... I spent my lunch hour today dropping almost 1K on two rare Sega Saturn platformers (Tryrush Deppy and Super Tempo - both rare Japan exclusives)

Lol, remember earlier in the year when I was complaining I couldn't imagine spending more than $100 for a game?

12 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I honestly never understood people saying the game wouldn't sell.

People pay $30 to play PUBG. Cod Blops is PUBG but it's not a busted pile of dogshit, so there's that.

It's odd because the only thing casuals like more than playing FPS' are watching people play FPS' (why Fortnite is the #1 watched game on Twitch 90% of the time (except for when League of Legends has some comp streaming).  Highly anticipated new games are going to sell, because at worst, if you're a streamer you can get a couple hundred viewer bump out of playing something new, and FPS' are always high viewership.  

Black Ops 4 is indeed a lot of fun. Treyarch somehow perfected what battle royale should be. Everything just works and there's no bullshit getting shot while you hide behind trees or rocks or whatever like in PUBG since Bluehole will NEVER fix the fucking desync problems or adjust the hitboxes.

The other non-Blackout modes are fun too. It's Black Ops without the wall running, but you pick from about 8 different characters for multiplayer and each person has an ult. 

Quick sidebar: None of this is original. I'm not sure if credit should be given for blatantly stealing from R6 Siege or Overwatch, but it winds up being almost more fun than R6 Siege.

Anyway, everything just works. I do wish there were more characters to select from. For non Blackout, there's nothing really new that I can think of so someone could have put more work into providing more characters.

Other than that, I will say that I did enjoy the multiplayer modes and the gameplay in Black Ops 3 more. All of the futuristic shit, the wall running, boosting, etc. felt perfect. The maps were the shit and probably the best they had ever been. I really don't like the maps in 4 and I especially HATE how spawning is all fucked up. Basically, there's no diversity for where you spawn, which leads to one team eventually spawn camping. I also liked how in 3 you jumped in multiplayer and each game you played was something different. Sometimes it would be Domination, other times Control, but it was always changing and it got you used to the different modes.

So was 4 worth the $99 to preorder the deluxe edition? I don't know. So far, I'm pretty addicted to it, but for $99 it's pretty lacking. I almost wish I waited and just bought the $60 version, but then I worry about paying out the ass for extra shit that was included in the Deluxe edition. That said, if this drops to around $40 around Black Friday, that's going to be a perfect price point for people wanting to check this out. It's probably worth $60 if you want to roll the dice on having to pay extra for stuff later on, but $40 is about perfect for anyone curious enough to check it out.

SHINING SOUL [3]
I dunno dude. I just needed something to play in bed because I've spent a lot of time in bed nursing sore muscles the last two days. It's an extremely, EXTREMELY mindless dungeon crawler that relies on you having friends to be any fun, but since I'm playing this on a cracked 3DS there's not gonna be any friends coming. It was probably way better when you had friends to play it with.

RETURN OF THE OBRA DINN [4]
So I posted about this at the start of the month, forgot that it was coming out this month, then saw it go on sale yesterday and immediately bought it and spent all day (Thursday is my Saturday) playing it. It's fucking fantastic. It's a Whodunnit for 60 Sailors, and it's an excellent example of non-linear storytelling. If spending $20 for a 7 hour trip to a spooky place that you can only really play once is worth it for you, then absolutely go for it. I'd say it's one of my favorite games of the year, but I have had strong dislike for extremely many of the games that came out this year, so what's that really worth to y'all?

Soul Calibur 6:

Create-a-dick aside, it feels a lot like coming home. From Edge thru Cal3 it was probably my favorite fighting series of all time, and while I'd have been perfectly happy to see them downplay the fanservice to Dreamcast levels (they didn't, but it's not 4-5 level) the new game has the flow, the single-player content and the symphony music that made me fall in love with the series in the first place. I hope (but doubt) Soul Edge/Blade will be in the PS1 classic (and I need to find my disc copy since I've hooked my PS3 back up)

I have started playing The Witcher 3, which I had lying around for two years. Generally I really like it, but there is some stuff bothering me. Riding feels nowhere near as good as it does in Red Dead Redemption. If you don't follow roads, your horse gets stuck all the time. The AI when you try to call your horse is also not very good, usually you have to walk to it and get it halfway. The game also plays slower and heavier than for example Skyrim, though that might be a neutral point. The most annoying thing though is the tiny font. I have stopped trying to read the longer texts as this will lead to my eyes hurting. I have googled for it and apparently there are lots of people complaining about the font size since the very beginning. Funny, you would expect that to be an easy enough thing to fix (make configurable).  Of course there is lot to like about the game. The world feels more real and alive than comparable games (e.g. the Dragon Age games or Skyrim), the graphics are absolutely astonishing and the side quests so far are deeper than the usual "get to A and fight monster B", many offering you choices how to close them.

EDIT: Another negative I just thought of: for a PS4-generation game the camera is pretty spotty, sometimes much too close to the action.

After 158 hours and 34 minutes, I have obtained the Platinum in Warhawk for PS3. The servers are set to shutdown on October 25, 2018. I'm currently working on Twisted Metal and its online as well. Got about 2 days left before those servers shut down (although it may be Friday or Saturday before they actually do).

Magic the Gathering: Arena is great. Finally a Magic game has a good UI that they stole from Hearthstone (and Elder Scrolls Legends, before that game decied to blow itself up for no reason), but it has the distinct advantage of being Magic and not Hearthstone, which is a final blow from which there is no recovery.

I haven't played... like, almost this century? But honestly there's been surprisingly little I've actually had to learn. A lot of the weird gimmick mechanics that came in the interem have since gone, and so there's only been a small number of things I haven't been able to do just on muscle memory. There are a couple small UI quality of life things I think could be cleaned up before a full launch, but for a beta it's pretty polished. It's one of those "AAA betas" things where it might as well just be called a stress test because the game is done.

Some of the decks you get for free just for playing the game are actually not bad at all. You get 5 monochrome decks just for signging up then it looks like a new two-colour deck each of the first few days. There's a green/black deck you will get in a couple days based around spawning tons of 1/1 tokens and zerg rushing anything in sight and it's actually a really, really fun deck. But there should be something for everyone.

I'm in for the grand total of $5 US to get the little one-time special deal that all online CCG's have a variant of, because I've already had way more than $5 worth of fun with it in the last week so there's absolutely no reason not to.

I've fallen off the wagon and I don't care. MtG: Arena is like seeing your ex from high school 20 years later and it turns out she's still really hot, and single, and looking to meet in a town near you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Magic the Gathering: Arena is great. Finally a Magic game has a good UI that they stole from Hearthstone (and Elder Scrolls Legends, before that game decied to blow itself up for no reason), but it has the distinct advantage of being Magic and not Hearthstone, which is a final blow from which there is no recovery.

I haven't played... like, almost this century? But honestly there's been surprisingly little I've actually had to learn. A lot of the weird gimmick mechanics that came in the interem have since gone, and so there's only been a small number of things I haven't been able to do just on muscle memory. There are a couple small UI quality of life things I think could be cleaned up before a full launch, but for a beta it's pretty polished. It's one of those "AAA betas" things where it might as well just be called a stress test because the game is done.

Some of the decks you get for free just for playing the game are actually not bad at all. You get 5 monochrome decks just for signging up then it looks like a new two-colour deck each of the first few days. There's a green/black deck you will get in a couple days based around spawning tons of 1/1 tokens and zerg rushing anything in sight and it's actually a really, really fun deck. But there should be something for everyone.

I'm in for the grand total of $5 US to get the little one-time special deal that all online CCG's have a variant of, because I've already had way more than $5 worth of fun with it in the last week so there's absolutely no reason not to.

I've fallen off the wagon and I don't care. MtG: Arena is like seeing your ex from high school 20 years later and it turns out she's still really hot, and single, and looking to meet in a town near you.

I'd like to get into this, but I've been away from that community for many years.

Plus the amount of toxic people into the IRL MtG puts me off.

On 10/22/2018 at 3:34 AM, Robert s said:

I have started playing The Witcher 3, which I had lying around for two years. Generally I really like it, but there is some stuff bothering me. Riding feels nowhere near as good as it does in Red Dead Redemption. If you don't follow roads, your horse gets stuck all the time.

Weird, I am playing this too for the first time. Aside from the text, which I don't havr a problem with, I agree with everything you just said. In Velen the horse riding wss bad enough but then you go into Skellig and it's a nightmare.

The side quests are great for the genre. One more grioe i would like to add is it would be nice to seecall of your potential quests on the map at the same time. Always sucks to select a quest and realise you were jyst right there 15 minutes ago.

Finally, after a bit of grinding in the beginning, the game is just too easy. I am playing with the difficulty turned up one notch and haven't had any problems with monsters thus far. I am sure my deaths by falling from a medium height to death by monster-kill ratio is like 4:1.

18 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

Finally, after a bit of grinding in the beginning, the game is just too easy. I am playing with the difficulty turned up one notch and haven't had any problems with monsters thus far. I am sure my deaths by falling from a medium height to death by monster-kill ratio is like 4:1.

I played about 20 minutes of it in the intro. I quit playing and haven't gone back after a 10 foot fall killed me. 

1 hour ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I'd like to get into this, but I've been away from that community for many years.

Plus the amount of toxic people into the IRL MtG puts me off.

The good news is there's currently no player to player communication. I will say though they really should at least add some sort of friends list system. One of my gripes with Elder Scrolls Legends was that you're in this giant multiplayer game but never shook the feeling of total isolation.

Magic absolutely draws in some utter shitheads. It's the Counter Strike: Global Offensive of cards. No argument there.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Setsuna said:

Weird, I am playing this too for the first time. Aside from the text, which I don't havr a problem with, I agree with everything you just said. In Velen the horse riding wss bad enough but then you go into Skellig and it's a nightmare.

The side quests are great for the genre. One more grioe i would like to add is it would be nice to seecall of your potential quests on the map at the same time. Always sucks to select a quest and realise you were jyst right there 15 minutes ago.

I am not that far into the game that the orientation of side quests has become a problem yet but I can see that this might become an issue. Dying by falling has not yet be a problem, probably because Skyrim trained me to be careful in that regards.

Is there any way to grind? Killing enemies gives you barely any XP,  the side quests don't give you much either (something in the 20-50 point range).

13 hours ago, Setsuna said:

I got to a point where everything was an hour-long horse ride away and super easy or right around the corner and devastatingly difficult.  The Witcher 3 is probably my vote for best game that isn't all that fun to play.  

Castlevania Requiem's trophy list hit today ahead of Friday's release.  I will finally get my first Platinum as nothing is super grindy (actually, there's only like a max of 4 you can't get organically and need to grind anything for), so that's awesome.  Getting the Chessigrim and summoning the Dawn Warriors is probably the only 2 horrific grindy trophies, and you can always just equip certain items to get that sword to drop.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Castlevania Requiem's trophy list hit today ahead of Friday's release.  I will finally get my first Platinum as nothing is super grindy (actually, there's only like a max of 4 you can't get organically and need to grind anything for), so that's awesome.  Getting the Chessigrim and summoning the Dawn Warriors is probably the only 2 horrific grindy trophies, and you can always just equip certain items to get that sword to drop.

I wouldn't consider either of those more difficult than merely beating Rondo. I assume there's one Platinum per game?