DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On October 1, 2018 at 7:46 PM, Victator said:

How much do you think it would be with shipping to USA?

Around 100 and lower and whatever plus for American shipping on Amazon. Some have free shipping. It varies. Seen $73 elsewhere.

Famicom-Mini-Jump-Edition-Scan_05-11-18.

• Like 1

I have had a love for the Famicom ever since I saw one in a pawn shop when I was 9. I asked what it was and the clerk said a Japanese Nintendo. Which it seems silly now, but I did not know they had Nintendos in Japan, much less originated there. I do wonder how it ended up in a pawn shop in Guntersville, Alabama. 

• Like 1

I have the Famicom Titler. It lets you record gameplay and the images are more sharp. Plus you can add subtitles to gameplay footage.

There's the Famicom Sharp which combines both disk and cart formats into one system. While Famicom box has very similar carts to Nes but in black.

• Like 1

It's not much, and I'm still pretty bad at Overwatch, but I'm proud of this highlight.  Had a teammate not gotten an amazing kill streak as Junkrat, I might've even gotten Play of the Game.

So far I'm enjoying D.Va and Mercy and will probably stick with them until I figure maps and such out more.  I'm having fun.

• Like 1

FORZA HORIZON 4 [4]

Imagine a world in which Sega Rally Championship was the biggest racing franchise ever. Forza Horizon 4 is a game about games in that world. Its central conceit (we convinced Scotland to let us have an eternal car festival to the detriment of everyone living there who btw you never actually see) is similar to the Burnout Paradise "plot." At least in this you see that there are at some point drivers and people not currently driving. But then they add in like bossfights and shit. I dunno. I'm playing it through the Game Pass 14 day trial and it's fucking awesome and probably the Big Budget Game Of The Year.

13 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

FORZA HORIZON 4 [4]

Imagine a world in which Sega Rally Championship was the biggest racing franchise ever. Forza Horizon 4 is a game about games in that world. Its central conceit (we convinced Scotland to let us have an eternal car festival to the detriment of everyone living there who btw you never actually see) is similar to the Burnout Paradise "plot." At least in this you see that there are at some point drivers and people not currently driving. But then they add in like bossfights and shit. I dunno. I'm playing it through the Game Pass 14 day trial and it's fucking awesome and probably the Big Budget Game Of The Year.

I love regular Forza, but hate Forza Horizon.  It would be one thing if it was an off-road racer with actual off-road cars, but I have no desire to drive an M5 through a field.  I always feel like I'm driving through a pumpkin patch or some shit, like I'm playing a drunk ass country boy simulator...except that game would be more fun.

• Haha 1

I suck at Forza games. Hell, I suck at racing games in general. I’m still having a blast with Forza Horizon 4. Make the AI dumb enough and you can win most any race. As I get better (glacially), I’m slowly turning up the AI and turning down the assist sliders. 

Today’s session has seen me do zero events. I’m just driving around on every road and smashing the boards. Very zen. 

I'm sort of in a holding pattern until Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out, playing FIFA and finally finishing Kiwami and Picross S2, but I did just get Overcooked! Looking forward to trying that with my wife. 

On 10/2/2018 at 4:28 PM, Michael Sweetser said:

Spider-Man PS4 has gotten to the point that all the fights are feeling the same and the Challenge Log golds are way out of my reach.  Think I'll go back to FFXIV and my piddly play on Overwatch for a bit till WWE 2K19 comes out.

Did you get to the Sinister Six scene yet?  Because it changes the whole game after that to something else, pretty much.

Sony is shutting down the following servers in the next few weeks:

Warhawk on October 25

Twisted Metal & PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale on October 15

Sound Shapes online features on October 15. No more cloud saves

ModNation Racers on October 10

I'm working on Warhawk and having to no life it but Twisted Metal may be impossible for me. I could never connect very well to anyone on the game without losing connection. I just got my 118th Platinum trophy with Sound Shapes in Asian region so I have a Platinum now for each version of Sound Shapes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

ModNation Racers on October 10

This is by far the best cart racing game of all time.  It played like a dream and allowed you to create pretty much anything you'd like.  Honestly, I don't know how it didn't become a huge franchise for the Playstation.

Man. the Gamecube is really underrated for platformers.  I know a lot of people don't love the Sonic 3D games, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. & Super Mario Sunshine, but I really enjoy all of those games - especially Mario Sunshine and Donkey Kong.  Jungle Beat probably is a top 10 platformer for me because of the bongo controller.  So wacky.  So much fun.

Besides those five games, there are a number of really good second-tier platformers on the gamecube.  I'm playing Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg and really loving it.  Sonic Team was so great for platformers.  Also really liking Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 (not quite a platformer, but enough platform elements to suit me), the Pac-Man World games (also available on PS2, but more suited for family-friendly Nintendo), and Wario World (beat-em-up/platformer; Treasure was one of my favorite developers).

There's also the 2.5D remakes of Super Bonk and Wonder Boy that were Japan exclusives.  Both of those are fun.

Also picked up a couple of the PS2 Ape Escape games.  Never played that series before.  Wacky fun.  The 2001 spin-off where you try to suck the apes underpants off with a vacuum cleaner of sorts (to wash the underpants) is all kinds of odd.

Get on that Chibi-Robo. Not that much platforming in the purest sense, but big and cute and engaging with a surprisingly deep examination of domestic strife buried beneath the Katamari-esque J-weirdness. One of the three best games I've played this year as far as I'm concerned.

I really need to bite on a Donkey Conga controller. I used to be *very* serious about rhythm games about a half a lifetime ago and every human who's played Jungle Beat swears by it. I hear it's short? I'm OK with that.

7 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Get on that Chibi-Robo. Not that much platforming in the purest sense, but big and cute and engaging with a surprisingly deep examination of domestic strife buried beneath the Katamari-esque J-weirdness. One of the three best games I've played this year as far as I'm concerned.

I really need to bite on a Donkey Conga controller. I used to be *very* serious about rhythm games about a half a lifetime ago and every human who's played Jungle Beat swears by it. I hear it's short? I'm OK with that.

Yeah, Chibi-Robo is great.  I just don't consider it a platformer.

Highly recommend Jungle Beat.  You can play it with the standard GameCube controller but the Konga drum controller adds a lot to the experience.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I was given the Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate Edition as a gift. Being able to drive around in an open world with several of the James Bond cars is way more fun than I expected. The game is gorgeous too! I know little about cars but for some reason I enjoy the Forza games, and I imagine this is where the couple of dozen hours of my free time is going to go.

Lost Paradise update:

FUCK REI.  That miss-and-you-die QTE you have to do at least twice has turned a straightforward boss fight into something it's taken me 11 tries and counting to beat.  Switching to Easy doesn'tt help, because the fight isn't the problem.  I get that it's recreating an iconic page from the manga, but still.  I hope he never rescues his sister from Jagi. And I hope it's the Chris Penn version of Jagi from the US movie, just to be extra awful.