DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

nb: The fulfilling obligations to board and partners is referring to Minecraft for Netflix. Not finishing The Walking Dead: Final Season. Episode 1 is out, episode 2 is still  releasing on Tuesday, but episodes 3 & 4 will never exist. Anyone who bought the season pass is shit out of luck.

On 9/26/2018 at 11:11 AM, Death From Above said:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker looks like the Divinity games, but actually good.

I think the greatest appeal of computerized Pathfinder to me would be the ability to resolve a round of combat without 15 fucking minutes of looking up and arguing about rules.

What's your beef with Divinity?

Haven't played the second. But in Divinity Original Sin? That game was so busted they eventually abandoned the original version and re-released a totally separate version of the same game in a (in sales terms, successful) attempt to salvage it.

Horrible voice acting, a real lack of direction once you are through the initial city adventure, and for all the shit Kingmaker is getting for its launch difficulty (which, apparently, is supposed to be getting a patch Very Soon) it's not like Divinity ever approached being balanced in any meaningful way, so at worst we're going to end up breaking even on that.

The other thing I will say for Kingmaker is the amount of options you have for tweaking difficulty and game experience is fucking crazy, and definitely a big step in the right direction for the admittedly limited market of people that want/can handle that level of control over their experience.

Man, I looked at the upcoming games coming to the NES thing for Switch Online and it's like 3 games a month. That's it? You cheap fucks. In October we'll get Solomon's Key, NES Open Golf, and Dodge Ball. November we'll get Metroid, Mighty Bomb Jack, and Twinbee. December is Wario's Woods, Ninja Gaiden, and Adventures of Lolo.

Other than WWE, Nintendo is the company that least likes to make even more money. It's basically one good game and two shit games. I'm still of the mindset that I'd just buy all of this shit separately on a Virtual Console type thing. That was the shit and it was perfect until Nintendo lost interest and pretty much abandoned it. I don't think we need all of the Neo Geo and Turbo Graffix stuff, but at least give us a good library of NES, SNES, 64, and Gamecube games to pick from.

Between the NES and SNES it's possible I have played 1000 games and I've never heard of Twinbee.

The first pack of 3 is all pretty good games, Solomon's Key I remember being pretty tough. Some of these picks are random enough that I am curious if they'll ever re-release Legacy of the Wizard, which will confound and amaze people that never heard of it before.

I vaguely remember Solomon's Key. I may have rented it and hated it because I don't have any fond memories of it. Twinbee I definitely never heard of. Maybe it's having "bee" in the name, but it makes me think it's a Hudson Soft game.

But come on. 3 games a month is nothing especially when you can burn through 20 games in a couple days. 3 is maybe an hours worth of entertainment. I'm still shocked there's no Castlevania yet. I thought for sure that would have been in the first set of games. Getting Metroid and Ninja Gaiden is nice, but 6 games a month would be for the best. 3 "known" releases and 3 lesser known or played titles. Give me a month where you get Contra, Punch-Out, Kid Icarus, and then shit like Pin Bot, Wall Street Kid, and Toobin. 

• Thanks 1

This is why I have zero issue just playing all these games on my retropie.

Nintendo makes everything such a pain in the ass when it should be a slam dunk.  Someone (not me, nope *I* only play games i've owned.  yep.) can have every game ever made loaded up in essentially 10 minutes and they can only bother to release 3 random titles a month.  Fuck that noise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Clutching my pearls and gasping at all the Twinbee ignorance... but I guess I never realized it was a JP only release. I knew it because it was a Konami property occasionally referenced in their other series and I may or may not have been a hardcore DDR player half a lifetime ago. I just emulated a bunch of 'em in high school and assumed people knew 'em.

Twinbee is pretty fun, especially if it's all new for you. Not super long - the game restarts with harder levels after less than 20 minutes of shooting - but really engaging and likeable.

6 hours ago, CSC said:

This is why I have zero issue just playing all these games on my retropie.

Nintendo makes everything such a pain in the ass when it should be a slam dunk.  Someone (not me, nope *I* only play games i've owned.  yep.) can have every game ever made loaded up in essentially 10 minutes and they can only bother to release 3 random titles a month.  Fuck that noise.  

I may go that route one day, but I'd like to have less things plugged in.

That last fight in Spidey, and the cutscenes after, really kicked my ass today.  It's weird that we got a version of Norman who, while still sleazy and corrupt, is much more sympathetic than usual.  Peter's post-fight convo with the last boss was heartwrenching--I don't know how much of that is actual good writing, and how much is me being in a certain headspace or me being predisposed to like things Christos Gage does.  Easily my GOTY-to-date, and while I have a lot of work to do to plat it I'm pretty sure I'll get there in 15-minute chunks.  And when new game plus drops, I'm stupidly excited about the prospect of screenshots and videos of the cel-shaded Classic Comic Spidey interacting with the semi-photorealistic world of the game.

Magic Arena has been in open beta for a few days and I really like it. It's smooth, easy to understand and games go at a pretty quick pace.

I am going the free route so far but it's kind of a tough reminder of how hard it is to make a decent deck when you can't trade or buy cards. You get some interesting decks to start with and build off of. Unlike Hearthstone, you can't bin your garbage cards towards building decent cards. Instead you can get wild cards in packs, which are cards you can cash in and get any card of a certain rarity. You can earn cards, packs and precon decks by doing daily quests or you can buy gems to buy packs and compete in limited events.

I traded all the wild cards I had except for my mythic rare wilds to build an inexpensive Keld Red deck. I'm still missing a couple of rare cards to be an optimal build.

However, Goblin Chainwhirler is nuts.

Been working through the pretty damned good Victorious Boxers: Ippo's Road To Glory! on PS2. It's a very technical boxing game based on the manga/anime Hajime No Ippo - a series I know almost nothing of on account of the fact that I got plenty of JRPGs to get my Japanese cartoon kicks out of - and it's good! The cutscenes are translated about as well as the instructions on those make-your-own-candy kits you get at stores that sell anime paraphernalia, but I kinda dig how your coach gives you intelligent boxing advice that's somewhat grounded in reality before you take on the next dude. Coasting off of bodyshots, abusing lateral movement and spamming the Dempsey Roll kind of?? break the game if you try real hard, but in general, boxing good makes you win.

In all honestly the game has completely displaced Fire Pro World for me this week. 15 bucks on ebay, dude, check it out.

• Like 1

Dragon Ball FighterZ is the best Dragon Ball game ever and pretty high up with fighting games period. The only issue I had was the hub world, why does a fighting game need a hub world, just do it as a basic menu. Other thing is story mode is a slog to get thru. The basic story is interesting, but its talking heads mostly. Also thought they could have given Cell more to do, considering the nature of the story. 

The best thing is the controls are so easy to figure out. Even getting trounced, you still have fun. With Xenoverse 2, if you are getting your ass kicked it is a chore. I hope a FighterZ sequel tries out a create a character. Though Bandai Namco might block that. It seems they are feeling threatened by FighterZ success. They recently did a Xenoverse update that cleaned things up. Including adding basic shit, people have wanted for four years now. 

I hate Bandai, but I LOVE Dragon Ball. 

• Like 1