DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Assorted Platformers I suggest obtaining 

WarioLand 2. Lots of paths and the neat no die gimmick and transformations.

Sonic Jam on Saturn. Has easy mode and Normal mode and Original mode for the Sega Genesis  games. Other features too like spin dash for Sonic 1, time attack mode, play special stages separately and disable in game clocks.

WarioLand on Virtual Boy.  Trippy game and underrated. 

Glover N64. 

All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros for famicom. The goombas are dudes with sunglasses and so are the plants. Several other changes.

Super Mario Bros special. Bit annoying screen wise and colors but ok game.  Made by Hudson,  several added stuff from other Mario games.

Vs Super Mario Bros Arcade. Harder than NES SMB. Less power ups and removed some warps. On the switch as well.

• Like 1

Virtual Boy Wario Land is GREAT. That and Wario Land 4 are among the best 2D platformers ever made. Whoever said that is right on.

I bought a Virtual Boy back in 1996 when Wal-Mart was selling them for twenty bucks a pop after the brand had totally failed, and games were five bucks apiece (the first console that I was ever able to buy myself, actually!),  and it's still one of the best value buys I've ever made. I have a hard time playing it now because the tech is a retina-killer, but there are multiple good-to-great games for it: Mario Tennis feels limited now after the GBA ones, but it's a good game with really enjoyable music. The ones you'd want to go out of your way to play, I think, are:

• Virtual Boy Wario Land - seriously, it is that great IMO.
  • Teleroboxer - It's basically Punch-Out!!, but the length and difficulty balance are perfect to me. It's a nice little puzzle-arcade sports mashup. 
  • Galactic Pinball - This is legit one of the best pinball games that I've played on a console, not counting the pinball tables based on real tables. 

I like Red Alarm quite a lot, too. It feels like it fits with Starfox 2 a bit in the sense that it's a behind-the-back shmup with levels that feel very enclosed. It does take a bit to get used to the visuals, which are both impressive for 1995 and hard to parse because, you know, it's a primitive attempt at stereoscopic 3D in 1995. 

Also, Golf is legitimately a good golf sim. 

So I subscribed to Nintendo Switch Online for a year because it was only $20 and honestly...

it feels like $15 too much. I basically paid $20 because MAYBE at some point I'll play a game online and to play a bunch of old Nintendo games. And then I played those old Nintendo games and about an hour of that was enough for me. There's literally no reason why they couldn't have also done SNES games or done something other than all the other choices for NES games. Like, 3/4 of the games fucking suck and it's my fault because I didn't bother to pay attention to a full list going in. I was just all enamored with Pro Wrestling, Mario 3, Zelda, and Tecmo Bowl. They threw in all of the shit ass NES sports games like Tennis and Baseball, but didn't even include GOLF? REALLY? I was like, cool, Excitebike, and then I played it and remembered oh yeah, Excitebike sucks. No Punch-Out? No Faxanadu? No Donkey Kong 3 or Jr? RC PRO AM? Uh, Castlevania?

I get that more stuff is on the way...hopefully, but the titles they selected for the start of this thing fucking suck. Soccer?

23 hours ago, D.Z said:

All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros for famicom. The goombas are dudes with sunglasses and so are the plants. Several other changes.

I had no idea this existed.  Thanks.

And Glover rocks!  Honestly, the Rare games dominate the n64 platformer talk - for good reason - but there were some very good second-tier platformers.  Space Station Silicon Valley, Glover, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, and Mischief Makers are all favorites of mine.  And, of course, there's Rayman 2 (though I think I like the PS2 and Dreamcast ports a little more).

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 10:46 AM, Raziel said:

So, about Switch Online having a crap lineup...

Yeah, Nintendo using straight up .nes ROM dumps within the Classic GUI and in-house Emulator is totally a Nintendo move.

Facepalm. I'm assuming Nintendo made it that basic to make it easy to just add more games in the future.

Which really just means that given how easy it would be for them to do it, they'll seldom do it, which totally is a Nintendo move.

Bard's Tale IV has a soundtrack so good it's scarcely believable it's real.

I am still not sure what to make of all the negative reviews beyond "kickstarter man babies". It seems like a pretty watchable game on twitch so far. I think it has too many puzzles for my taste to actually play, but I am fine to watch others do all the actual work.

15 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Reports are going around that Telltale Games is closing up shop effective today. 

That is... amazingly sudden.

Shit....

But yeah - at a minimum massive layoffs hit the company today (based on people who worked there and their social media)

Based on what I am reading - they had 250 employees. They layed off 225 of them today

19 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I continue my streak of being terrible at video games:

I hate trying to swing around water.  I did one of those research missions and had to spray something on some fish and it took forever because I kept falling in the water.  The funniest thing that happened was I was swinging through Harlem and somehow swung directly into the path of a train.  It killed poor Spidey instantly, but it gave me a good chuckle.

Telltale dying and TWAU 2 getting canceled is the worst fucking video game news that I've heard in a long time.

TWAU was this amazing game about marginalized communities and policing and it deserves all the sequels. SHIT.