DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

43 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Too many games. 

For real. Spider-Man is pre-ordered, as is Red Dead 2, also just got Guacamelee 2, but my backlog/pile of shame?

Last of Us (twice which I got for free, too), Nier: Automata, Uncharted: LL, Sleeping Dogs, Bully, The Warriors, Ico, Shadow of The Collosuss, Mad Max, both South Park games, nearly every Assassin's Creed, Alien: Isolation, Beyond Two Would, What Remains of Edith Finch, Hellblade, MGS V, Lego World's, Infamous: SS, Dishonored, Psychonauts, and a good couple handfulls more. 

I need a purely gaming vacation and a son who doesn't monopolize the system when he's here for my half of the week.

Also doesn't help that I want dem platinums, which invokes another list of stuff I've been working on...

• Like 2

Brief initial impressions of Dragon Quest XI

-It is EXTREMELY Dragon Quest. The first enemy I saw that I suspect is new to the series is a raven holding a skull in it's feet. It was called the Stark Raven.

-The voiceacting is mostly fine, occasionally very stilted, and always very british.

-I am concerned about the levelling system because it seems to be a combination of the DQ8/9 Leveling system- which I am Down On- and something not unlike the Sphere Grid. We'll see.

-I'm gonna play the shit out of it.

19 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

-It is EXTREMELY Dragon Quest. The first enemy I saw that I suspect is new to the series is a raven holding a skull in it's feet. It was called the Stark Raven.

That is not a new enemy though I forget which one they first showed up in.

I'm interested in the new CO-OP online and voice chat options for those NES Switch games. The libary will be 20 games then expand over time. Doesn't seem like any other system will be added I think.

They do have the Arcade and Neo Geo games though.

Still waiting for the N64 mini and whatever the trademark renewing for GameCube means. I don't care about the WII brands at all.

I'm like, completly in love with Horizon: Zero Dawn, so much so that I'm, like, lvl 20 and I just got to Meridian.  I'm perfectly happy running around doing side quests and hunting machines and occasionally doing main quest stuff.  It's like a non-broken Elder Scrolls without the customibility.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I'm like, completly in love with Horizon: Zero Dawn, so much so that I'm, like, lvl 20 and I just got to Meridian.  I'm perfectly happy running around doing side quests and hunting machines and occasionally doing main quest stuff.  It's like a non-broken Elder Scrolls without the customibility.

I never finished the game, because I got too caught up doing random nonsense and then never felt like continuing the story.  Then again, that's the exact reason I've never finished an Elder Scrolls game, so this comment is right on point.  

• Like 1

Ha! Yeah. I was like "Pipe Dream? Ooookay." 

I'm at the very tail end of Arkham Knight and have been playing the crap out of it. There are a lot of similarities, but it's actually a big adjustment switching over to Spider-Man. I've been getting my ass kicked a lot, which I didnt really see coming. 

Web swinging is the damn truth. Especially at night.

Spider-Man is okay so far, but when this game goes from "fuck around in the open world" to "do some shit in a confined space," it loses its way big time. 

53 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Spider-Man is okay so far, but when this game goes from "fuck around in the open world" to "do some shit in a confined space," it loses its way big time. 

Haven't played a ton yet but I didn't like the Peter Parker science lab stuff. Fighting Kingpin was fun but the mini puzzles really deflated things quickly.  Hoping things pick back up, I expect they will.

3 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Haven't played a ton yet but I didn't like the Peter Parker science lab stuff. Fighting Kingpin was fun but the mini puzzles really deflated things quickly.  Hoping things pick back up, I expect they will.

There's an option in the accessibility settings to turn off the mini games entirely.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I think that open-world action-adventure games feel like they have to fit some sort of box that includes puzzles a lot of the time, but if the puzzles aren't any good, they should just be excised. I get that everyone has different types of puzzles or patience for them breaking up the action-based gameplay, but stuff like this doesn't really work at all within what the draw of the gameplay actually is, which to me is the A+ traversal that gets woven into what would otherwise be bog-standard Arkham-style combat and makes it new and fresh-seeming. 

I could list quite a few action-adventure games from this generation that would be quite better with the puzzles ripped right out of them (or improved upon substantially). 

EDIT: And I actually did enjoy the pipe-connection puzzles in BioShock when I played it a decade ago, but that sort of puzzle in action-shooters or action-adventure games feels like old hat at this point. 

I do like how nice Peter Parker is. He's a good dude! They nailed his corny jokes and genuine niceness in the writing, at least from what I've seen. 

I don't like the puzzles, and there are a variety of them, and I'm still testing the combat, which I can see gets complex just from looking at the abilities trees, but everything just feels so good. This game is on the short list for "best traversal in a game ever" along with Saints Row 4 and inFamous: Second Son and, I guess, Spider-Man 2/Ultimate Spider-Man (though this should really take those games' places). It's so good that it makes swinging around the city finding backpacks a genuinely fun exercise. It also makes this game have the best towers by default, even though the wavelength-matching puzzles to activate them are a detriment. 

I was wavering last evening, but after a couple more hours, I've come down on the "very good game" side of the ledger for now. 

I think I prefer this game's wavelength puzzles to Arkham Origins(?) where you had to find and hold a hotspot on each stick.

I also laughed out loud at the explanation for the much-maligned Granov suit:

Otto came up with the idea based on Karla "Moonstone" Sofen's published papers about high-contrast coloration creating a psychological advantage.

THE VILLAINS DID IT oh and you only have to wear it for roughly 40 seconds before you can change into classic duds or Movie Iron Spider

• Haha 1

In the ever-growing world of "incredibly dumb collectables", the Spider-Man Collector's Edition comes with a warning not to unpack it before you finish the game (which is inside the box you aren't supposed to unpack) because the stuff it comes with contains spoilers. I am not making this up.

• Haha 1

Now playing lots of Rocket League (because Rocket Pass is out and I bought it), and God of War 2 on PS3, getting ready to play God of War 3 now it's free on PS+. Oh, and I got PS4 God of War (GoW4?) for my birthday, so I'll get to that after.