DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I realized over the weekend that 2.5D fighters are probably my favorite thing in gaming.  2D fighters are probably runner-up.  I'm not even much of a fighting game fan, but Capcom and SNK really churned out a lot of fun franchises.

I am glad that I played Yakuza 0 before Kiwami because I might have given up the series if I started with Kiwami. That game is slow as hell to start. The first three chapters are mind-numbing in terms of gameplay, with the nadir being the funeral service level. The bad stealth and looking around trash cans for a funeral band (though in fairness, the latter doesn't take too long) is just awful. 

Kamurocho being pretty much locked off for those chapters also sucks. The best thing about Yakuza to me is wandering the city and doing random shit. The first three chapters are streamlined to get you going from plot point to plot point, but actually executing the actions needed to move things along isn't particularly fun. I dropped this game for a month or so and am just now getting back to it, so hopefully now that I'm through the funeral, things'll pick up. 

I still need to beat this and then get Kiwami 2 because I want to play some VF2 without dragging out the Saturn. I don't know when I'll get to it with Spiderman coming out next week, but I could really go for some VF2. 

8 minutes ago, Liam said:

Once the opening is out of the way, would you say Kiwami is worth the time? It's under a tenner on the UK PSN and was tempted to pick it up.

Yes. Once the game opens up in Chapter 4, and you can ignore the main story and race pocket cars or get involved in random side quests, the game is as fun as 0 was. 

• Like 1

God, I hope not.  Cause if you're that old, I'm probably two steps from turning to dust.

Dunno about laptops, but I bought a next desktop PC a few months ago and the models I looked at still came with a cd/dvd burner.  I spend a fair bit of time commuting to and from work and burn podcasts to listen to in my jeep (older model, have MP3 player but no USB support).

I have noticed that stores are generally carrying less in the way of blank CD/DVD-R's, cases, etc., so I assume it's a thing that's on it's way out.

• Like 1

I would've gone the desktop route just purely for the size of the screens but when I'm writing in my spare time I tend to go full on Roald Dahl (comfy chair, blanket etc etc) so portability superseded it.

dahl_1996870c.jpg

As for podcasts, I still actually download mine in iTunes and copy them to my 2004 video iPod. I'm a man out of time.

My latest adventure in Mafia 3 saw me attack a Southern Union* meeting, kill everyone there, and then 

Spoiler

crucify the Grand Wizard on his own burning cross.

I also tried to do some of the street races, but tight corners plus muscle cars plus rain plus heavy traffic is not a good mix.

Anyone on PS4 still play Rocket League (or willing to start)? Because the new update added organised teams. We can set up an official DVDVR Rocket League squad, with team colours and actual leagues and that.

* basically the KKK, but presumably they made up a different organisation so they wouldn't get sued.

Dude, I finally got all the wizard goals on Ghostbusters pinball on nintendo.  We're Ready to Believe You mode ended up sucking because I was into my second mass hysteria so I couldn't really savor it.  It only took me nine months to get 6.3 billion.

12 hours ago, AxB said:

Anyone on PS4 still play Rocket League (or willing to start)? Because the new update added organised teams. We can set up an official DVDVR Rocket League squad, with team colours and actual leagues and that.

I have been thinking of picking up Rocket League, but I figured it was so late in the lifespan of that game that there'd be no one left to play with.

So I'd be up for a squad.

• Like 1

OK, so Mafia 3 is completed. It wasn't as bad as I'd heard, although that might be getting it for free as opposed to paying Forty five quid or however much. Don't think I'll bother trophy chasing the ones I've not got yet though... it might be time to plug the PS3 back in and run through God of War 2 in time for God of War 3's PS+ debut. Or just wait for Rocket Pass to launch and chase Rocket League fancy stuff.

So for the people who bought PS4's just for Fire Pro, you want any recommendations? Because there's this game called the Last of Us that's really good. Best game ever made, some people say. It's cheap now.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 2:19 AM, assfax said:

Dude, I finally got all the wizard goals on Ghostbusters pinball on nintendo.  We're Ready to Believe You mode ended up sucking because I was into my second mass hysteria so I couldn't really savor it.  It only took me nine months to get 6.3 billion.

Oh man, I'm gonna have to do this by the end of the year. There's a Ghostbusters table at this bar in Knoxville where I host an annual beer thing and it always whoops my ass - this is the year where I have to practice.

In non-pinball related news I pulled in my final giant used game haul until the Holidays (this is what I'm telling myself). Chibi-Robo for Gamecube, Robot Alchemic Drive for PS2, a mis-priced Ninja Gaiden Black, and a whole bunch of cheapo stuff for my new baby VITA, like Odin Sphere. I cannot escape the event horizon of my supermassive backlog. Am I playing these games? No. Because now, of all times, I finally understand why Suikoden is great. Never played through it enough to have my own castle. Look at all my guys in it! Grinding produces enough results that I don't mind doing it, and man alive what a soundtrack.

• Like 2

Finished off Final Fantasy 7 on PS4. It's the PC version so some of the minor translation issues were corrected. I hadn't played the game since I was in middle school in 98 so it was pretty cool to play it again. I'm not sure if I should finish Skyrim first or if I should just go all in on Fire Pro World (not that I haven't been already)

• Like 1

Based on how highly many of you on here speak of it, I took the plunge during a PSN Store flash sale and bought the PS3 Sleeping Dogs for $3 (no PS4, no plans to get one as of yet).

Considered getting Capcom vs SNK 2 for $3 as well, but I couldn't convince myself to buy a fighting game when I'm the only person who would play it. Honestly unless it's like Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution single-player fighting games are a waste.

• Like 1

PS3 Sleeping Dogs, eh? If you want some hard to beat totals on your stats, you want Neil on your friends list. But if you want them to be almost impossible, sack Neil off and Friend request me instead.

It's really good. Emma Stone's in it. But that's not why it's good. She's just sort of randomly there, like an actress nobody had heard of would be.

I'm not going to finish Yakuza Kiwami before Spider-Man comes out this Friday, not even close. I sort of blame Super Mega Baseball 2 for this, as I've been going back and forth between Kiwami and that game instead of locked in on Kiwami.

Also, I've thrown some Football Manager in there as well. Kiwami will get beaten eventually so that I can play 6 or Kiwami 2 in the little time I have this fall. 

Too many games.