DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yoku's Island Express is on sale on Switch so I bought it and Torment is on sale on PS4 so I bought that too and I'm playing Guacamelee 2 and Super Mega Baseball 2 and Picross S2 so so many "2s" and Spider-man comes out soon and there are too many quality games and not enough time ahhhhhhh

Thanks for the heads up, Yoku's is probably exactly what I will need on my Switch for the flight to and from Dragon Con

• Like 1

Finished Klonoa: Door to Phantomille tonight (PS One).  Yeah, i was not prepared for that ending.  That turned dark in a hurry.

Spoiler

Klonoa basically saves the world and rescues the damsel in distress, only to be told by his sidekick that he (Klonoa) is from another world and all his memories are fake.  The game ends with Klonoa saying he wants to stay in his "home" but he's sucked through a portal to parts unknown anyway.

Great game.  How Klonoa did not end up on a Nintendo platform, I dunno.

14 minutes ago, Player One said:

Finished Klonoa: Door to Phantomille tonight (PS One).  Yeah, i was not prepared for that ending.  That turned dark in a hurry.

Hide contents

Klonoa basically saves the world and rescues the damsel in distress, only to be told by his sidekick that he (Klonoa) is from another world and all his memories are fake.  The game ends with Klonoa saying he wants to stay in his "home" but he's sucked through a portal to parts unknown anyway.

Great game.  How Klonoa did not end up on a Nintendo platform, I dunno.

I'm pretty sure it came out for Nintendo Wii. Hold on a sec...

Yep:

713OjzqdmGL._AC_SX215_.jpg

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/klonoa

It was a remake of the original. 

Completely forgot it came out on Wii.  Oops.  Yeah, Klonoa as a Nintendo game makes too much sense.  Dark ending aside, it's the sort of charming, cutesy platformer Nintendo used to do so well (or, more accurately, Rare used to do so well for Nintendo).

I feel like I've really underestimated the PS1.  Never owned one until recently and my general impression of the PS1 has been clunky 3-D graphics and a 2D graphics engine that couldn't compete with the Saturn.  Bought a number of PS1 games I quite like lately and started going through the catalog to come up with a more thorough want list.  There are a lot of games that don't hold up well graphically (lol, every 3D fighter) but their are an awful lot of good games in there.  My want list for the system is going to be kinda long.

I'm trying to fill out my wii collection a bit: does anyone have strong opinions about whether Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess is the better Zelda game?

Also I am getting my ass sufficiently kicked by Breath of the Wild that I broke down and ordered some bootleg NFC cards to get the daily amiibo rewards.

• Like 1

I've seen quite a few comments from critics & players that suggest Twilight Princess is the better game.  I've gotten the impression that Twilight Princess is regarded as a much better game.

That's all second-hand though.  I don't own a Wii, so I've never played Skyward Sword or read a lot reviews of it.

I did play through Twilight Princess on the GameCube and thought it was great fun.  Honestly, it's Zelda.  Either game is probably worth your time.

There's really a TON of classic shit that came out PSX era, and some of the multi-platform stuff was better on PSX than the Saturn (Hello SotN).  A lot of it was devs finding the balance of having that much room on a CD rather than a Cart and balancing FMV stuff with gameplay and graphics.  But I can't hate on a Gen that gave us SotN, the Resident Evil series, 3 good Final Fantasy games, and Xenogears.  And that's just off the top of my head.

Metal Gear Solid. Need for Speed was another game my friends and I got a lot of mileage out of. Twisted Metal and its sequels were all sorts of great for the time. Tony Hawk... There were some very good fighting games ported over to console for the first time too. I was just thinking last week how badly PSX has aged compared to SNES/Genesis or even the N64 but when I start to actually think about the great games it delivered, it's pretty damned good. A lot of the games from that gen really relied on 3D as a crutch though. 

Squaresoft's PS1 output is staggering. FF 7/8/9, Chrono Cross, Xenogears and Parasite Eve 1 & 2 are a pretty great frontline of JRPGs, but you've got real keepers in Threads of Fate, Einhander, Brave Fencer Musashi, Legend of Mana, and the Bushido Blade games as well. I don't know what the other candidates for Best Third Party Catalog On a Single Console would be (and I'd love to hear 'em) but Square on PS1's gotta be way, way up there, right?

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Squaresoft's PS1 output is staggering. FF 7/8/9, Chrono Cross, Xenogears and Parasite Eve 1 & 2 are a pretty great frontline of JRPGs, but you've got real keepers in Threads of Fate, Einhander, Brave Fencer Musashi, Legend of Mana, and the Bushido Blade games as well. I don't know what the other candidates for Best Third Party Catalog On a Single Console would be (and I'd love to hear 'em) but Square on PS1's gotta be way, way up there, right?

Capcom on Sega Dreamcast has to be up there and is my personal golden standard for third-party output on a console: Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter 3/Double Impact/Third Strike, Marvel vs. Capcom and MvC2, Capcom vs. SNK and CvS2, Project Justice, Tech Romancer, Cannon Spike, Gunbird 2, Plasma Sword, Power Stone and Power Stone 2, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Dino Crisis, etc.

Capcom on SNES is another obvious one: Street Fighter 2, SSF2, SF2T, X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems, Demon's Crest, Breath of Fire and BoF2, Saturday Night Slam Masters, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X, Mega Man X2, etc.

But yes, Squaresoft on PS1 is also up there at that level. Also, speaking of Squaresoft on PS1, don't forget Ehrgeiz. Ehrgeiz was dope. 

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I'm trying to fill out my wii collection a bit: does anyone have strong opinions about whether Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess is the better Zelda game?

Skyward Sword i liked better early.  it has a lot more reliance on motion controls. by the end of the game i was pretty over it. found it too easy and repetitive the further i made it. still really liked it overall.

Twilight Princess has a much darker feel. i got stuck as Wolf Link and it turned me off the game for a couple years. when i finally came back to it, i found it fun and rewarding.

i liked them both, but am more likely to play Twilight Princess again.

• Like 1

I know Ubisoft isn't always well regarded, but their PS2 lineup is up there for the Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell series.  And that little game called Beyond Good and Evil.  I'd also toss in Konami's NES run.

3 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Konami NES was the first other one that came to mind for me. Contra / Castlevania / Gradius are the obvious but I'm sure everybody's got two or three beloved deep cuts. Blades of Steel, baby.

Don't forget about Life Force. That was the first game I used the classic "Up Up Down Down" code for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Don't forget about Life Force. That was the first game I used the classic "Up Up Down Down" code for.

I've always counted it as a Gradius. Life Force is probably in my all-time Top 30, and I won't shut up about it if I get going. Tiny Toons was great but I never got around to Bucky O'Hare, which is allegedly on the same level, maybe a little more polished. Was Skate or Die actually good or are my glasses getting all rose-tinted?

Well the PS 1 lacked the z-buffer and perspective correction.  Stuff would look warped (textures or rooms etc). And calculations being done using integers instead of floating point values. Causing wobbly polygons.

And no Anti-aliasing made PS1 games look jaggy.

Anyway most of the games from PS1 era have already been ported or remade to PC, Dreamcast, GameCube etc with better results.

26 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Skyward Sword i liked better early.  it has a lot more reliance on motion controls. by the end of the game i was pretty over it. found it too easy and repetitive the further i made it. still really liked it overall.

Twilight Princess has a much darker feel. i got stuck as Wolf Link and it turned me off the game for a couple years. when i finally came back to it, i found it fun and rewarding.

i liked them both, but am more likely to play Twilight Princess again.

Well, I don't really like motion controls so I think that might make the decision for me.

Appreciate the info.

I am still confused why we had to wait like 7 months for a PC Monster Hunter World release that launched with less content than console and still has this weird, Extremely Japan busted multiplayer thing.

The load times are great if you have a crazy gaming rig that costs as much as a used car, but yeah. CAPCOM is kinda weird.

Most of these are probably too obscure for real consideration, but SEGA's first-wave third party stuff for the OG XBOX helped make that system a legit Dreamcast 2.0. Shenmue II, Crazy Taxi III, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, World Series Baseball 2K2 and GunValkyrie were all XBOX exclusives that I owned and dug the hell out of. I've heard great things about the Otogi series and would totally pick up Outrun 2 if the sequel to it wasn't waaay cheaper.

The bittersweet thing is that being XBOX exclusives tanked every single one of those series (Kickstarter excluded). It was obviously the wrong call for SEGA but it does increase the value of the games since, y'know, that was the end of it.

• Like 2