DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On 8/15/2018 at 1:34 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

I love survivalist games, but the crafting and inventory menus are key. The Flame in the Flood had such user-unfriendly menus that I gave up on it; on the other hand, I found Don't Starve's menus unobtrusive enough that I could enjoy the core game.

Long Dark is pretty user friendly in the menu inventory, but the quick keys in game took some learning for me due to not reading the instructions

2 hours ago, Red is Dead said:

Not filling me full of hope for the game, lads. destitute man's gta?

I liked it, but it's easy and gets really repetitive.  It's one of the free games on PS+, otherwise there is a lengthy demo available.

4 hours ago, Red is Dead said:

Not filling me full of hope for the game, lads. destitute man's gta?

It's kinda if you took the good combat stuff of GTA and Sleeping Dogs, removed pretty much any kind of environment/vehicle damage, and then somehow managed to suck all the fun out of it, you get Mafia III.  Which is a shame, because the story, narrative engine, and soundtrack are amazing, it's just the gameplay is as fun as watching paint dry.

Speaking of fun-ish games, Just Cause 3 would be 500x better if it were a cover fire system instead of having to firefight in the open all the time.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, Tromatagon said:

And ugly.  It looks like a broke-ass Saints Row 2

I have talked myself out of playing Mafia 3 more times than I can count because the game mechanics and repetitive gameplay seem too unbearable to deal with, and the fact that it takes multiple clears to unlock 90%+ of the achievements makes Mafia 3 even more unpalatable.

Mafia 3 has a mixed African-American / Caucasian parentage anti-hero protagonist crime lord murdering his way to success and a mini-game where you collect the centerfold pages from classic issues of Playboy magazine.

You know the game is borderline sketchy when nudity and the ability to feed racist criminals and crooked cops to alligators in a 1960's Deep South revenge fantasy cannot persuade a black man to buy it..

• Like 6

WORLD OF WARCRAFT: BATTLE FOR AZEROTH (horde side) [4]
So the main reason I got back into WoW was to beg a friend of mine to not play The Division 2 because I think he deserves better than that. What has ended up happening as a fun side effect of that is, I'm really enjoying this expansion quite a bit. I have oft spoke of my desire to explore creepy caves, and the environment that the Horde starts in on this expansion is just chock full of creepy caves to explore. Two of the four instances I have access to are all creepy caves of some variety, and one of those is creepy without being a cave. I'm extremely into it. That said, if you are not sold on WoW, this expansion is not going to change that. It's WoW. It's more WoW. I'm just hitting a nice little zen sweetspot on it.

TEKKEN UPDATE
I have settled in on Asuka as my main for the time being, because I feel if I switched characters now I'd lose everything I already know with her, end up with two characters I'm half educated on, and just get frustrated until I quit. To address an earlier comment, my goal is to Actually Learn How Tekken Works. I'm not aiming for tournament success or anything, because frankly there's no fighting game scene in San Diego so I'd have to go for LA for that and I'm Good. Four hour round trip to get my shit packed in. It's chill. I'm fine.

My other goal is to eventually become secure enough with Asuka that I can try someone else and have her to fall back on if it doesn't work. Master Raven interests me a lot, but I've got enough problems dropping juggles without stances or backturn moves to worry about, so maybe later.

Any fighting game fans out there familiar with a SNK game called The Last Blade?  Buying some PS2 fighting game imports and trying to decide about a few games not on my want lists.  I've heard good things about Last Blade 1 & 2, but never actually seen the game in action (other than Youtube) much less played it myself.

10 minutes ago, Player One said:

Any fighting game fans out there familiar with a SNK game called The Last Blade?  Buying some PS2 fighting game imports and trying to decide about a few games not on my want lists.  I've heard good things about Last Blade 1 & 2, but never actually seen the game in action (other than Youtube) much less played it myself.

The Last Blade games are a little finicky with their counter mechanics, but quite cool. I first experienced them thru the Neo Geo Pocket game (which had a really odd way of doing things; the first time you played thru arcade mode as a char it'd be the Last Blade story, and beating it would unlock a LB2-only character as well as switching the story so every subsequent time you played you'd get the LB2 story for the character you beat the game with.)  The emulation on all of those PS2 Neo Geo compilations is a little squirrely; I found the King of Fighters comps nigh unplayable, but it was less of a problem with some of the others (I didn't own the LB1/2 set).  Having them both on Steam I'd say that it's worth $15 or so for a well-emulated copy of both, I probably wouldn't pay more than that since the PS2 ports have none of the single-player enhancements PS2-era  fighting games usually got.

The Last Blade 2 is legit one of the best fighting games that I've ever played. I like the options that you have (I can just go POWER with my chosen character and do shorter combo strings that do high damage instead of having to worry about playing a SPEED character and dropping combos). The art is gorgeous, too. 

I have a copy of Last Blade 2 for Dreamcast, but I also bought the game on PS4/Vita, and it seems like a fine port. 

On 8/15/2018 at 3:57 PM, Zimbra said:

By far the best part of the IGN thing is the guy denying having ever plagiarized and challenging people to find more examples when it turns out he did it dozens of times.  That is peak dumbass.

Not that I think he is thought about that deeply. But if he was not going to admit it, that sorta works as a bluff. Hoping the average person thinks "if he is guilty, why would he make the challenge."

On 8/16/2018 at 2:59 PM, Oyaji said:

I played a bunch. Power Move Pro Wrestling was based off of them (they came first, right?), so if you ever played that you'd know what to expect. They're not all that deep but they had cool stuff at the time like character specific reversals (Muta has some mist reversals IIRC) and the artwork for #2 on the 64 is wonderful. They're fun but I wouldn't pay much for any of them.

Speaking of, would it be worth playing the Dreamcast Fire Pro if I have Returns on my PS3?

28 minutes ago, Victator said:

Speaking of, would it be worth playing the Dreamcast Fire Pro if I have Returns on my PS3?

Nah, it's been ages since I've played FPD but I'm pretty sure Returns didn't drop any match types.

7 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I have a copy of Last Blade 2 for Dreamcast, but I also bought the game on PS4/Vita, and it seems like a fine port. 

The Steam/Playstation digital release is great. Player was asking about the PS2 version, which was part of a wave of shovelware releases some of which were janky as fuck.

Guacamelee 2 is more Guacamelee with a more involved upgrade system and some very wicked platforming challenges, even early in the game. It still feels good to move, especially rolling through attacks and chaining combos, and dumb meme humor aside, it's quite a lovely world to spend time in. The jokes don't land, but the soundtrack does, and the dreariness of the dark world is nicely represented with some great art direction. 

This one will be a GotY contender on my personal list, and in what has been a weak year for sequels (looking RIGHT AT YOU, Runner3) and reboots (looking even more right at you, God of War), it's nice that I was able to buy a new game based on my enjoyment of a prior game in the IP and feel like I might actually get my money's worth. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

The Steam/Playstation digital release is great. Player was asking about the PS2 version, which was part of a wave of shovelware releases some of which were janky as fuck.

To each their own, but I really don't think those PS2 import fighting game compilations are fairly good.  The PS2 versions of King of Fighters 98 and 2002 (Ultimate Match and Unlimited Match) play pretty well and generally are very well-reviewed.  I don't think KoF '94 Rebout and the Orochi Saga compilation play well, but I also don't think the original games hold up well either.  Beyond that, I enjoyed the Darkstalkers comp a lot, the Hyper Fighters Anniversary Collection was much nicer in presentation that the SF 15th Anniversary Collection released in the US, etc.

Really, I pick up those PS2 games because I want them for my collection.  I usually have the same game for whatever Sega system it originally came out on, and I play that version and buy the PS reissue because it's something unusual to own.  There were a lot of fighting games re-released on PS2 fairly late in the system's life cycle (2005-2009).  Generally, those games were Japan exclusives and had low print runs.  Nice copies are fairly scarce these days and get good money.  I'm a huge PS2 fan and I really don't need too much prodding to pick up a PS2 import if it's in great shape.

Passed on Last Blade.  Probably regret it later, but I knocked a number of imports off my list and the same guy came up with a nice copy of Klonoa: Door to Phantomille and Sonic CD, both of which set me back a good bit.  I love the Klonoa platformers but really wish they were Nintendo games.  

Finally acquired a Japanese version of Mario 64 today - the re-release with rumble pak support (Super Mario Shindou Edition).  Kind of interesting pickup.

1 minute ago, Player One said:

To each their own, but I really don't think those PS2 import fighting game compilations are fairly good.  The PS2 versions of King of Fighters 98 and 2002 (Ultimate Match and Unlimited Match) play pretty well and generally are very well-reviewed.  I don't think KoF '94 Rebout and the Orochi Saga compilation play well, but I also don't think the original games hold up well either.  Beyond that, I enjoyed the Darkstalkers comp a lot, the Hyper Fighters Anniversary Collection was much nicer in presentation that the SF 15th Anniversary Collection released in the US, etc.

Really, I pick up those PS2 games because I want them for my collection.  I usually have the same game for whatever Sega system it originally came out on, and I play that version and buy the PS reissue because it's something unusual to own.  There were a lot of fighting games re-released on PS2 fairly late in the system's life cycle (2005-2009).  Generally, those games were Japan exclusives and had low print runs.  Nice copies are fairly scarce these days and get good money.  I'm a huge PS2 fan and I really don't need too much prodding to pick up a PS2 import if it's in great shape.

Passed on Last Blade.  Probably regret it later, but I knocked a number of imports off my list and the same guy came up with a nice copy of Klonoa: Door to Phantomille and Sonic CD, both of which set me back a good bit.  I love the Klonoa platformers but really wish they were Nintendo games.  

Finally acquired a Japanese version of Mario 64 today - the re-release with rumble pak support (Super Mario Shindou Edition).  Kind of interesting pickup.

My experience is based mostly on the Fatal Fury and KOF Orochi sets, the Neo Geo Anniversary set, and Metal Slug Anthology.  Of those, I generally found the fighting games unplayable and the non-fighting games enjoyable.  I'll readily admit I never played KOF98 or 02 on PS2 because I had the former on Dreamcast and the latter on Xbox OG, so I wouldn't vouch for or against them.

I just got my 10th gold trophy on Rocket league. Most games only have one or two golds, but RL has loads of them. Also I'll get the platinum as soon as I play an online game with a friend, which I've already done but not been rewarded for.

• Like 1

I had a nutty custom run on Slay the Spire over a couple days of play. Took the Endless modifier, draft mode, and the "when you take a card you actually get three of it", then strategized around getting the largest deck humanly possible and banking on getting Mind Blast (card starts every fight in hand, deals damage = to size of your draw pile). Well, that basically can lead to near-invincibility. I was the Defect, though that doesn't actually matter for this. As soon as the first Mind Blast became available in a store I knew it was gonna be dumb. Take a card - any card that isn't innate - at every chance. Buy any Mind Blast available.

Gambling Chip is a neccessary relic at some point, as Endless mode starts piling innate curses on you after a while so you need the discard option. You also absolutely must avoid Ectoplasm (you need gold to fish in shops for more Mind Blasts to counteract endless mode curses piling on you), and Velvet Choker. I would also highly, highly recommend avoiding Fusion Hammer although there comes a point that is probably just paranoia. All other energy gaining relics are fine including the usually trash Philosopher's Stone. Once you get the relic that you heal for entering a rest site based on the size of your deck, Coffee Dripper is fine.

Long story short I abandoned the run and let the game kill me on the 741st floor, but I am pretty sure I could have got to floor 1000 if I actually wanted to. Somewhere between floor 500-600 I hit the event that you can pray at a shrine and it removes all curses from your deck (by then it was up to 72). My final deck had over 1300 cards though no fight after the first 50 floors or so got past turn 2 since I was dealing four digits of damage per mind blast and I think I had about 18 of them by the end. 99.9% of fights ended on turn 1, one time I drew a ton of innate curses and needed turn 2. My final score was well north of 50000 points.

• Like 1

Yoku's Island Express is on sale on Switch so I bought it and Torment is on sale on PS4 so I bought that too and I'm playing Guacamelee 2 and Super Mega Baseball 2 and Picross S2 so so many "2s" and Spider-man comes out soon and there are too many quality games and not enough time ahhhhhhh

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yoku's Island Express is on sale on Switch so I bought it and Torment is on sale on PS4 so I bought that too and I'm playing Guacamelee 2 and Super Mega Baseball 2 and Picross S2 so so many "2s" and Spider-man comes out soon and there are too many quality games and not enough time ahhhhhhh

Oh shit, I'm in on Yoku.
Even though I've been taking advantage of twofers at random local Gamestops so I can own every good Wii game and have blown cash on copies of The Last Story and Metal Slug Anthology that I don't even need, as well as a bunch of used Vita stuff.