DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Still playing the same three games: Fire Pro, Rainbow Six, Tekken 7.

In R6 I've finally hit a sweet spot where I have characters I both like using and am good at using on both Offense (IQ) and Defense (Smoke), and my friend group regularly has five people so I don't have to worry about not getting them. I've also got pocket characters in case they do get Got that I'm not an embarrassment with. Slow progress continues.

Kind of having a Character Crisis. I'm torn between a few things here- My execution and knowledge of the game is low, and the character I want to play (Heihachi) requires literally perfect execution. So I picked up a different character in the meantime to learn systems with. They're fun but they have BIG flaws. So I'm trying to find the next step of a character to play, and I'm having quite a struggle trying to land in the right place.

And on top of that, there's the fact that I have been a grappler-heavy dude in other fighting games so people are suggesting King to me, but like... I already play Fire Pro, and I've gotten back into ordering old rasslin tapes, so like there's some amount of resistance towards making Rasslin the only thing my hobbies are about. It's like Stereotype Threat. That said, I pulled him out playing against a friend and just seeing what his punches can do was pretty eye opening. I just don't know if I'm ready to do that.

I think I've only played Tekken semi seriously on psx but Law was the shit back then. I do really love the weightiness of Tekken opposed to the add style of DB and the middle ground of SF. 

I had my first really good run of Dead Cells where I made it to the Stilt Village (or whatever it's called).  I had ice grenades and wolf traps to keep folks pinned down while I blew them away from a safe distance with the quick bow.  Then I got absolutely wrecked by those cannon-armed pirate bastards.  This game rules.

• Thanks 1

I just started playing Long Dark which is a game I think you'll be into if you're outdoorsy or into bushcraft. I'm playing the story mode at the moment and so far it's a pretty good survival sim but I'm thinking the endurance mode is where the real fun is though

I love survivalist games, but the crafting and inventory menus are key. The Flame in the Flood had such user-unfriendly menus that I gave up on it; on the other hand, I found Don't Starve's menus unobtrusive enough that I could enjoy the core game.

After 200 hours (admittedly, some of those hours were generated in the main menu while AFK) and several re-rolls, I beat both the main Grim Dawn game and Ashes of Malmouth expansion with a Purifier (Demolition/Inquisitor) at level 55. I have read where THQ Nordic has at least one more expansion in the works, and the story, while I would be OK with it ending where it did, does give enough hints that there are still things we need to do. 

I may noodle around in Elite difficulty when I need to shoot things in the face at close range with a modified shotgun, but for now I think I'll move on to Bastion. I installed that months ago but then got into Grim Dawn and never started it. I've also started to get back into Lord of the Rings: Online a bit.

I know that by opening this topic to discussion I'm probably going to invoke people giving some awful opinions about games journalism, but I have to say something.

the fact that the guy that got fired from IGN for Extreme Acts Of Plagiarism is from San Diego has made me ecstatic. Watch out, "RuPaul Posting A Painting Called Train Landscape When They Meant To Get The Trans Flag For Their Apology For Transphobia" and "Guy Who Stole A Tank," there's a new contender for Most San Diego Shit Ever.

By far the best part of the IGN thing is the guy denying having ever plagiarized and challenging people to find more examples when it turns out he did it dozens of times.  That is peak dumbass.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

I know that by opening this topic to discussion I'm probably going to invoke people giving some awful opinions about games journalism, but I have to say something.

the fact that the guy that got fired from IGN for Extreme Acts Of Plagiarism is from San Diego has made me ecstatic. Watch out, "RuPaul Posting A Painting Called Train Landscape When They Meant To Get The Trans Flag For Their Apology For Transphobia" and "Guy Who Stole A Tank," there's a new contender for Most San Diego Shit Ever.

Nothing at all to do with video games, but when I started this thread I never mentioned the person I was discussing was from San Diego. I'd guess it fits the profile you're sketching.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, Ace said:

I had never heard the RuPaul train flag bit before. That shit is hilarious. 

It gave me a solid week's worth of enjoyment out of train memes, at least.

San Diego has nice beaches and a Bertos on every corner, plus at the level of racism that Boston has, extra racism is fairly negligible in its effect on day-to-day living in the city. Advantage, San Diego. 

Anyone ever played any of the older New Japan "Toukon" games?  At the moment, I'm wondering if Toukon Road 1 or 2 for the N64 is worthwhile, but I'm also wondering about the later Toukon Retsuden games for PlayStation and Dreamcast.

I'd guess I'll pick up at least one or two of the PSOne/Dreamcast game.  Are the N64 games still worthwhile?  The other N64 wrestling games are kinda hit and miss with me at this point - more miss.

I played a bunch. Power Move Pro Wrestling was based off of them (they came first, right?), so if you ever played that you'd know what to expect. They're not all that deep but they had cool stuff at the time like character specific reversals (Muta has some mist reversals IIRC) and the artwork for #2 on the 64 is wonderful. They're fun but I wouldn't pay much for any of them.

So right before I started on Mafia 3, I was failing to finish up on Sleeping Dogs. Now I'm not sure exactly how many videogames feature the main character singing "I Fought the Law", but I played two of them back to back.