DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

17 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Started Yakuza 0 chapter 3. Two observations:

1) I got really excited when Majima asked the band to play while he fights, and they spontaneously generated a big-band version of a boss fight theme that had previously been electronic

2) By the end of this game, I'm going to know what turns Majima from the kind, laid-back and fatherly figure he is here into the underling-murdering, Mark Hamill-voiced psycho of the first game and I don't think I'm gonna like it.

Re your 2), I don't feel like this game does a great job of setting up that transformation. I conceptually understand why he makes that change in behavior, but I don't actually buy it. 

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Re your 2), I don't feel like this game does a great job of setting up that transformation. I conceptually understand why he makes that change in behavior, but I don't actually buy it. 

There's some stuff in Yakuza 5 about it. Kinda. I mean, like, a little bit.

Evo is running late (of course it is). Ono just showed the trailers for G and Sagat, and revealed that both will be available tomorrow to wind down Season 3.  Guess Yakuza will go on hold for a day or two while I get reacquainted with my one-eyed bro and see whether his SF5 prologue invalidates his SF4 story (which seemed to leave him in a surprisingly positive, peaceful spot)

Prison Architect has added another feature where prisoners will climb trees to get over walls. They'll also use laundry to try and make ropes. Man, you want to talk about a game that's getting great long-term support, and that screenshots could never do justice to how great a game it is, that's the one. I may have to give it a 5th? 6th? playthrough.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 3:18 AM, twiztor said:

i am an avid NES gamer. it is the console i grew up with. i find the 8 bit graphics and sound charming.

so today i picked up Little Samson.
220px-NES-LittleSamson.jpg
it regularly is among the "best NES games" and "best hidden gem" lists for the system. It also costs upwards of $1000. yes, seriously. Now, don't get me wrong. i am definitely a purist. i'm not a fan of fakes or knockoffs. but i'm also not going to spend $1000 on one game from 25 years ago. so i bought a fake cartridge. and i will admit that this game is pretty rad. well deserving of its reputation. you have your choice of four characters, and you can switch between them at any point, even in the middle of a level. they share lives but each have their own health bar. There's even multiple paths you can take to progress through the game.

i don't think this ever saw a digital re-release, and i also don't think it's part of any compilations, so the only way to play it legally is with an original cartridge. i'm just saying, if you're a fan of 8 bit games, find a way to check this out.

I watch a lot of Youtube video game shows and I hear of these big numbers people pay for old games. Which I was doing in the late 90's/Early 00's for the NES and Genesis, But back then you could go to Pawn Shops and get most games for under five bucks. I was telling people the carts would be worth money eventually, but would have never guessed prices would be like this, Even common games like Mario 3 are in the twenty dollar range. 

But once I discovered emulators, I never thought of collecting again. I more or less stopped collecting comics beyond trades and the rare single issues. 

I have been meaning to check Little Samson out. Guess its a good time to fire up the Dreamcast Nester disc.

Dicking around with the new Street Fighter chars.  Sagat is still his awesome self.  G is...weird.  His moves are fun but his taunt mechanic feels like it's gonna be real hard to pull off respectably, and since prologues are all we get for anyone added after S1, his story and place in the world are WTF.  I can only assume Gil had him murdered before SF3. 

Until Dawn is pissing me off. I was doing my "Find everything, save everyone" run-through, and I got everything perfect except I somehow messed up the very last Don't Move challenge in the game, and Hayden Panatierre got her guys ripped out... so now I've failed at saving everyone, and if I want to try again (and get the Trophy for saving all the girls, and the other trophy for saving all the boys and all the girls), I've got to play THE ENTIRE GAME FROM THE START to do it. And if I want the platinum, I then have to do a "Find nothing, kill everyone" run from scratch as well.

• Sad 2

Currently addicted to PS2 puzzler Bombastic.  I kind of prefer the title of the PS1 version/prequel, Devil Dice, but this is a fantastic, addictive game.  I'm kinda surprised to realize that my favorite thing on the PS1/PSX might be it's puzzle library.  PS2 has a lot of good puzzlers too, but the puzzle section on the PSX seems a lot deeper to me. 

Cities Skylines has caught my eye.

Only problem is I can't decide which version to get.

As someone who is on a computer most of my day for work, I shy away from going that route for video game funtime.

I much prefer  to use PS4 or XB1 and they both seem to have a Season pass available, but Steam has a version that's twice the price of the consoles.

Any advice?

I fell HARD for Dead Cells. Holy shit. Playing on Xbox and it stopped my progress on every other game I'm playing dead. I knew it got me when I found myself thinking about playing it when I was at work earlier. Like, gaming is my primary hobby, I guess, but I rarely find myself just chomping at the bit to get back to whatever it is I'm playing. That's always the sign of a good one for me.

Feel like I might be handicapping myself by using trap builds (when the game is so kind as to allow me to do so), as I'm not improving my parrying with shields. But maybe I'll base the next build around ice bows. Or shit, this blueprint I just found for a giant hammer sounds like it could be fun. Or...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Victator said:

How is the menu set up and save states and stuff?

Well, each game has 4 save states slots to use. And the lock feature is handy if someone doesn't want to accidently override a saved game.

There's 3 filters..Crt mode mimics the scanlines of 80's tv and slight edging off the pixels like old tvs. 4:3 mode is similar sans the Crt effects. Pixel Perfect makes the pixels look more square and the games look sharper but thinner. 

Emulation is very close to the real deal. Much improved over the Virtual Console of the Wii U, ex: graphics and sound 'n etc. The colours of the games are exactly like the old NES games, hence the correct daytime sky colours for SMB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Dead Cells is on my list of things to play by the end of the year, right along with Yoku's Island Express. 

My girlfriend loved Yoku. Ended up beating it 100%. I liked it as well. Pretty forgiving pinball physics overall, but there are some tricky shots to be found, too. 

2 hours ago, Shane said:

My girlfriend loved Yoku. Ended up beating it 100%. I liked it as well. Pretty forgiving pinball physics overall, but there are some tricky shots to be found, too. 

That's good to hear! I've heard only glowing things about it, so I'm excited to play it.

I have been fiending for a WRPG, so I bought ME: Andromeda since it was only eight bucks on the PS Store in this flash sale. I played the first ME for maybe an hour, and that's it, so I'm hoping that I like this. If this is the worst game in the series and I enjoy it, I can't go wrong with playing the originals.