DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Unless you like to switch (ha!) back and forth between games, you could just get one of Zelda or Mario if you're trying to save cash or wait until B2G1 sales around November or whatever. I put 250+ hours into Zelda and the DLC (and I didn't finish the DLC) and 90+ hours into Odyssey. You can eat off one game alone for at least three or four months. 

You also can wait for a sale if you want to get a microSD card. You can likely wait it out until Black Friday. 

If you want game suggestions, please let me push my favorite games on the console onto you. 

I think I'll end up getting both since I'm too ADD to just play one game straight through.

I'm all for hearing more game suggestions. 

Of the games I already mentioned, I was badly hooked on Celeste, Golf Story, and Hollow Knight. Celeste is one of those games that I was gaga for while I was playing it, but my opinion of it increases the more I reflect on it. A high difficulty barrier for sure, but it's ability to utilize it's own difficulty to tell the sort of story that it winds up telling is a special thing to achieve. Also one of the greatest video game soundtracks ever composed, hands down.

Golf Story was a game I didn't put down until I finished it, but I have no idea what kind of experience somebody would have with it if they didn't play any of the handheld Mario Golf/Tennis games that Camelot developed. The need for a 2D Golf RPG was TEARING my SOUL to SHREDS. Golf Story was my balm and ambrosia, savior and lover. It also happens to be very Australian.

My Hollow Knight thoughts are posted somewhere else in this thread. I originally played Night in the Woods on PC and it is essentially a very good book to read when you are alone and drunk. Sonic Mania is *the best* Sonic game but I haven't gotten around to all the new Mania + stuff, which looks even better. Snipperclips was fine couch co-op if you can get it cheap. Thumper is a little fucking insane and this is coming from a big rail-shooter and music game geek.

For games I have physical copies of, I'd never played Binding of Isaac before and that shit ruled my life for months. Every person I've talked to about the game leads off the conversation by citing how many hundreds of hours they put it. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was a hot but substantial mess. The original is one of my favorite games ever. XC2 is a narrative *disaster* of anime tropes, adolescent and sexist and melodramatic at every turn. Also some of the most rich and rewarding JRPG gameplay I've come across, which has been followed up with some seriously well put-together DLC. Not an unworthy way to spend your time, but do the research. I bought Hyrule Warriors and I'm not entirely sure why but it's good to have around when I want to kill a few thousand bad guys. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is dope as hell if you're like me and suck at/couldn't possibly imagine committing to an XCOM game. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a required buy if you are a Mario Kart kind of person. Splatoon 2 is wack. No couch co-op either, and Nintendo just can't do online.

I want to get around to Bayo 2 and DK: Tropical Freeze, probably won't bite on Captain Toad or Octopath until I can get 'em cheap years from now. Gorogoa and West of Loathing have my attention. I don't know if Owlboy does anymore.

I think Switch is a great console for puzzle games: I would suggest Gorogoa (which is pretty mind-blowing), Picross S (and Picross S2, which is out next week), and Puyo Puyo Tetris. 

Re: Other indie downloadables that I would suggest, with parentheticals containing short descriptions: Bombslinger (Bomberman, but roguelike), Celeste (cling-n-shift pixel-perfect platformer), Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (2D Castlevania throwback); Mutant Mudds Collection (2D jump-and-gun platformers), and Letter Quest Remastered (word-puzzle RPG).

Regarding retail games, I will only play NBA 2K on this console because they really went and made a faithful recreation of the full game that can be played handheld. If you like those games, that's great (and is full of hours and hours of gameplay as sports sims tend to be). I also suggest Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and Rayman Legends.

This console, IMO, excels at puzzle games, from puzzle platformers to pictogram games to word puzzles. I also think that it's very good for all sorts of platformers and will probably be a strong SRPG platform as well (I don't like Fire Emblem, but Mario and Rabbids is great and I predict an XCOM port or two).

It also should be eventually pretty good for arcade sports games. I think the current offerings are weak (NBA Playgrounds has issues, though I like it, and I'm not a Golf Story or Mario Tennis Aces fan), but it should get there. It's weaker with sim sports: FIFA is a noticeable downgrade in presentation and gameplay from the other consoles, and there is no sim baseball, hockey, tennis, etc., but NBA 2K is a very good port. 

Started Yakuza 0 yesterday. Observations:

1) I understand the reason for the massive payouts (buying upgrades with money instead of XP plus the economic insanity of 1988 Japan) but it still feels fucking bonkers to get a half million yen from a random encounter in chapter 2

2) after getting really good at the Kiwami batting cage I'm not a fan of the 3 strikes rules.

3) It looks like it streamblocks when you go into arcade games, which sucks. It means my plan to stream the entire game is basically dead unless I just don't play anything, and that my 2 viewers (who left when I went into a blocked section) were deprived of my ad-libbed lyrics to the Space Harrier song.

While I am going to New Game+ it, Whoever set up the spawning rules for Riddler Informants on Arkham Knight needs an adjustment.  I have like, 3 left I don't know the location of and need informants to spawn, and they're not spawning.  It's irritating.

Thanks for all the Switch suggestions.  I ended up with Mario, Zelda, and Hollow Knight.  All seem like pretty solid choices so far.  My wife's been in the hospital so being able to play games with her while I visit has already justified the price for me.

• Like 1

Just now, Robert C said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788860-parents-hiring-fortnite-coaches-to-improve-play-help-children-level-up?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

I've just now realized that the world has gone insane.  I assume the rest of y'all have known for awhile, and I'm just slow on the uptake.

That's not real, it's a spoof article for a new Verhoven Robocop, right?

Got my 115th Platinum trophy with DmC Devil May Cry for PS3. As a public service announcement, DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME. The combat is easy, has no depth, and the enemies pull bullsh*t attacks all the time. Ninja Theory prove that they have no clue how to make gameplay other than flashy and barely cinematic. The story is decent and Kat is probably one of the better characters in these games; even Dante isn't that bad.

As if I haven't suffered enough, I'm planning on doing DmC Devil May Cry Definitive Edition as well.

• Like 2

Has anyone ordered from Play-Asia in recent years?  I bought off them a couple times in the mid-00's (around the time Fire Pro Returns came out), but haven't thought of them in years.  Noticed last night that they claim to have a few old retro games in stock that I'd be interested in.  Wondering how reliable they are.  I'd probably prefer to give them some cash over some random Japanese eBay account.

What other websites should I check out for importing games to the West?

20 hours ago, Robert C said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788860-parents-hiring-fortnite-coaches-to-improve-play-help-children-level-up?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

I've just now realized that the world has gone insane.  I assume the rest of y'all have known for awhile, and I'm just slow on the uptake.

This doesn't surprise me at all.  I used to work with this dude who quit his job as an accountant because he made more money leveling up other people's characters in Dota and League of Legends.  I was talking to him, and he was telling me how spending 8 hours at work was costing him money that he could earn sitting around playing video games.  

Picross S2 came out. It's good. Now they have some new puzzle that is solved by getting pieces from completing the other regular pictograph puzzles. I hope they just put out one Picross a year for Switch, fuck it. I'll buy 'em.

1979 Revolution: Black Friday, about the political upheaval in late '70s Iran (pre-Iran/Iraq War), plays on my interest in that time period (thanks, Marjane Satrapi!), but it's got all the worst gameplay of your typical Telltale game. Hopefully, the story pulls me through it, but I'm not looking forward to dying and being kicked back to a checkpoint too often, which happens more here than in Telltale games. 

Trying to get four first-place finishes in 150cc Cups in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is going to drive me (ha!) up a wall. Not that I'll stop trying. 

Windjammers is like two bucks in the PS Store. I bought it. I played it. It's still fun as hell. 

i am an avid NES gamer. it is the console i grew up with. i find the 8 bit graphics and sound charming.

so today i picked up Little Samson.
220px-NES-LittleSamson.jpg
it regularly is among the "best NES games" and "best hidden gem" lists for the system. It also costs upwards of $1000. yes, seriously. Now, don't get me wrong. i am definitely a purist. i'm not a fan of fakes or knockoffs. but i'm also not going to spend $1000 on one game from 25 years ago. so i bought a fake cartridge. and i will admit that this game is pretty rad. well deserving of its reputation. you have your choice of four characters, and you can switch between them at any point, even in the middle of a level. they share lives but each have their own health bar. There's even multiple paths you can take to progress through the game.

i don't think this ever saw a digital re-release, and i also don't think it's part of any compilations, so the only way to play it legally is with an original cartridge. i'm just saying, if you're a fan of 8 bit games, find a way to check this out.

• Like 1

Started Yakuza 0 chapter 3. Two observations:

1) I got really excited when Majima asked the band to play while he fights, and they spontaneously generated a big-band version of a boss fight theme that had previously been electronic

2) By the end of this game, I'm going to know what turns Majima from the kind, laid-back and fatherly figure he is here into the underling-murdering, Mark Hamill-voiced psycho of the first game and I don't think I'm gonna like it.

I've left the last chapter of Yakuza 0 unfinished for a while now, as to try and 100% the rest of the activities. However I think I'm getting burnt out, so I'm wondering how many of you have used the adventure mode to clean up.