DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Got suckered into the combination of Prime Day and having a bunch of Amazon credit and bought a Switch. I don’t have time to play the games I already have, so getting another console is clearly a good move, right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm playing OCTOPATH TRAVELER.  I think it works well as a game you pick up and play for an hour at a time (about how long it takes to clear a chapter) before bed or on your commute.  In bite-sized bits, it's really charming and an enjoyable grind.  But definitely not the type of game you want to run multi-hour marathon sessions on.  The repetition would get old quick.

• Like 1

jusr picked up a controller for an NES mini. I can finally play Mega Man 9 and 10, which i downloaded on my Wii more than a couple years ago.

this controller is legit!  it has the right weight, responsiveness, and look. so happy they re-released these so i could get one at retail price.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Really wasn't going to pick anything up on Prime Day, but ran across Gundam Versus (PS4) for $15.

Videos look good, but was wondering if anyone here has it and can recommend the game.

It's fun, but lacks the space stages from the PS2 era games or a meaningful single player mode (it has a survival mode, and an arcade ladder thing with no story) and it's stream blocked.  I burned out on it in 2-3 weeks because I don't do online competitive games I can't share to twitch 

So, Mass Effect Andromeda, even though I'm pretty into it and at Nexus Level 2 and beat the first boss... 

Did I miss a setting, because the biggest thing I'm lacking is the power wheel and any kind of control over my squad other than "stand in this cover".  It's really bad and makes it harder to cover the bases, especially with rolling back to ME1's leveling system but open to all classes skills stuff with a limit of 3 powers.

Also, trying to jump between ME:A and Alien Isolation, and Christ A:I is unforgiving when you die.  Course, that could also be because I'm on Hard (which said it was the optimal game experience in the menu).

I tapped out on I think the fourth chapter of Alien Isolation and by that time I'd put well over 4 hours into the game and seen the Alien for maybe 2 minutes. I quit out of sheer boredom, and frustration. One of the most disappointing gaming experiences I've ever had.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

I would just like to take a moment and talk about what I think is the most exciting thing in the video game industry, and the most underreported news story of the year.

That story is, What The Fuck Is Up With Fighting EX Layer's Trailers

Example A

Example B

Example C

The trailer with Shadow Geist looks good.

I have no idea about the rest.

So, here's what I've been playing lately:

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is really, really good. I really love perspective puzzles - my favorite part of the Arkham games are the Riddler question mark puzzles, to help make this point - and Treasure Tracker is mostly perspective puzzles (with the occasional twist thrown in). I'm fascinated by the level design which tends to be compact and yet filled with secret passages and platforms and switches that help the player make progress. That each level hides three gems, a star, a pixelated Toad, and any number of coins, gold mushrooms, and 1-up mushrooms is a testament to the ways in which the level design evokes simplicity and offers complexity. Six stars, as Meltzer would say. This is legit one of my favorite games of all-time.  

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is like being able to drive through the Mushroom Kingdom (when you're not being pelted with all manner of shells and Blooper inks and such) and enjoy the scenery. It's gorgeous. It's fun, it feels good, it's full of superfluous characters, but mostly, it's lovely to look at. I wish that instead of adding Splatoon and Animal Crossing characters (or FIVE baby characters), they looked more at adding some of the more obscure or less-used Mario-verse characters (like Wart or Tatanga or what-have-you), but I do like the use of F-Zero and Excitebike (!!!) tracks, and Animal Crossing and Hyrule are interesting additions. 

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Donkey Kong Adventure was more Mario and Rabbids, which is a good thing. DK is sort of OP, though, as he can toss one enemy into another (or a status block into an enemy) and then has two attacks that can be used to hit multiple enemies in one turn, and THEN also has the equivalent of overwatch in XCOM as a move. 

I'm still finding my way into Yakuza Kiwami, but no, I am not enjoying all the random times that Goro Majima is jumping me in the street and making me fight him, why do you ask?

17 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Even on the higher levels Majima is sort of bitch status compared to MISTER SHAKEDOWN and pretty easy to take care of when you used that motherfucker to farm money in Yakuza 0.

It's less about the difficulty and more about it happening way too often, especially when I'm trying to do something else. It was pretty easy to avoid a Mr. Shakedown if I was on my way to doing another thing. Not so much with Majima. 

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Even on the higher levels Majima is sort of bitch status compared to MISTER SHAKEDOWN and pretty easy to take care of when you used that motherfucker to farm money in Yakuza 0.

Well, that's leaving me worried about 0 since at B rank I'm winning about 1 in 3 fights against Majima.

Meanwhile they better hurry the fuck up with 3 for PS4 in the US, because the PS3 version's lack of a digital release means it goes for  as much used as I paid for 0 and Kiwami combined. I now have 0, 1k and 6 with 2k on preorder and 4-5 on PSNow, so that one gaping hole is infuriating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Eventually you'll hit a cap that he won't attack you unless you actively go looking for him.

That's good to know because it was kinda killing my desire to run around and do random shit, and that's the best thing about Yakuza. 

Also, in Zero, I farmed money running the club or chilling out in a Hi-Tech Land playing Outrun until my properties paid off, mostly. I don't think I ever farmed money by fighting Mr. Shakedown. 

Hmm, Clicker Heroes 2 is in early access on Steam.  On the one hand $30 is bonkers for a clicker game, but on the other hand Steam says I've put 5000 hours in the first one for a total cost of $0 so I kinda feel like I owe it to them.

The check cleared for selling our condo and I'm trying really hard to resist buying a Switch and a bunch of games.

Closing in on the end of Yakuza Kiwami, in chapter 11. I won't be platting it anytime soon, but it's time to figure out whether I want to grind Majima and the Coliseum to fill out the rest of my Dragon ability chart. Kind of leaning toward no.

Tempest 4000 is out for real this time, and apparently it's just the TxK Vita game (which was free at launch on PS+, so if you owned a Vita in 2015 you probably already have it) re-released with Atari's imprimatur and some music from Tempest 2000 CD/Tempest X3.  Funny that I should find that out the same day I learn that I was wrong about Minter's Polybius (I had thought it absolutely required VR, but that's optional) which is half the price...

I forgot to mention this last week but I backed Phoenix Point (the forthcoming Legally Distinct XCom game from the ex-XCom designer), and played around with the backer alpha that's currently available. Right now all that is available is one preset map that is built to be a near-suicide mission, and a random map option.

It is an alpha, with what I'd consider a couple normal alpha problems (the camera is still a bit buggy). But the actual gameplay is real solid. The body part targeting and manual aiming options are really cool. The change of being able to take part of your move, re-evaluate, and then move again if you still have the action points is a complete godsend. And the terrain is far more destructible than in Enemy Unknown, which makes it a LOT harder to camp in any set spot. That's going to make the game a lot more strategic. You really have to think not only about where you are hiding now but where you are going to be hiding a couple turns from now. That alone is pretty exciting.

I find the current alpha build hard as balls, but that's fine.

Apparently in the finished game they want to have up to 16-person squads which sounds delightfully insane.

Current release target isn't until June 2019, but I feel fine about my choice to pre-purchase after fooling around with it for an evening.

I've been playing some old Genesis games that I've never beaten. I don't know why. Here's some thoughts on them.

GENERATIONS LOST [3]
The genre of the Tall Platformer is one that has ultimately been lost to time. There's plenty of NES platformer remakes out there, but very few like Genesis style "Moving Slowly Through Eerie Spaces With Vague Super Powers". I dont know if this is a good thing, it is just a thing I've noticed. Anyways, most of my enjoyment for this game is rooted in how weird I found it as a kid. It is bone simple as an adult. Beating it felt like this weird release but it also felt underwhelming cuz when I was a child, this game had this place in my mind of being this gigantic open world that I never saw all of, and uh, no. no kid. it aint. It's fine though.

BEYOND OASIS [4]
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST this is the most stressful zelda ever made. There was a point where I was getting my ass kicked so firmly by a dungeon that I thought "oh well clearly this is like third to last or something." I looked up a full playthrough of the game, and in a 3 and a half hour video, this was maybe 30 minutes in. It has only gotten harder. It has only gotten harsher. I have only gotten more resourceful.

See, the hook is that it has fighting game inputs. Your primary weapon is extremely weak. There are other weapons, but the advantage that your weakest weapon has is a moveset. Tap to stab, hold to slash. double tap a direction and attack to do a running slash. Triple tap plus attack to do a multi hit stab. Hold B and hit forward back forward to... well, you get the idea. There's an input in there that are SNK Fighting Game Complicated. I have only pulled it off once, on accident.

Also, where Zelda has items like the hookshot and whatever, Beyond Oasis has familiars that are summoned by casting a magic spell on certain surfaces. Each familiar has it's own move set, with a seperate attack button just for them. So managing combat becomes about managing both your own model and the properties of the AI partner you have with you.

At another point I looked up a guide just to see if I was missing something about the game, and came upon the description of a kind of item I have zero idea even existed in the game. I was halfway through it and I had missed several enormous secrets areas- including TWO secret dungeons- that come with extremely helpful items at the end of them. Opposite of how Generations Lost left me, I am flummoxed with how much bigger this game is than it seemed to me years ago. Very strong recommendation if you're looking for a hidden gem.

Oh, and it's a Yuzo Kashiro soundtrack so it's fukin jams for days

Kiwami Update: Wow, Tiger Drop renders most non-Slugger Majima fights (as well as Burning GP, the one tournament I kept utterly failing at) trivial. Really glad I ground out the points in the coliseum to get that move.  Still, not sure I want to deal with the pain of grinding bowling until I beat him because I am BAD at bowling.  And whatever triggers his appearance at Pocket Circuit Stadium I haven't gotten the e-mail yet...

storywise, still in Ch. 11. Need to visit the forger's go-between at the hostess cabaret, but keep putting it off to do more Majima stuff.

Bought Yakuza 0 and that fight that starts by jumping through the bathroom window and ends with crushing skulls in sinks and urinals is the best thing I've seen in an action game ever. 

What am I doing wrong in pool? I can't seem to finesse a shot. It won't let me shoot without holding down on right stick for too long.