DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Anyone here own any import gaming consoles?  I've modded consoles before, but I'm kinda wanting to pick up at least a couple import consoles, at least for systems I have/want a large import collection.  I'm close to buying a limited edition PS2 J-NTSC console an a Japanese Dreamcast probably wouldn't be far behind.  Only reason I'm hesitating is the power supply issues.  Some websites say I can plug a Japanese gaming console directly into an outlet.  Other sites say I need a stepdown transformer.  Voltage is different in the US than Japan, but not hugely.  110 volts to 100.

Anyone here own/owned import consoles?  Did you use a stepdown transformer or something similar? 

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Never forget that EA used those likenesses and names anyway in their games without compensating the players at all.

In NCAA Football, if you update the player rosters to their real names, the game suddenly starts calling them by their real names.  And not in some auto-generated-text-to-speech kinda way either.

So screw EA, too.

EA bought those rights from the NCAA, who at the time owned the rights to players likenesses indefinitely.  Ed O'Bannon sued the NCAA for selling his likeness, and won.  EA, still wanting to sell the games, offered to pay the players and the NCAA said no.  EA is horrible for multiple reasons, but this is one of the few instances where they are on the right side.  The players didn't and don't have the ability to sell their likenesses, the NCAA did until the O'Bannon lawsuit.  The names they use are generally a generic list of common last names.  I may or may not have created a 1* school to build into a juggernaut and added all my friends as players, and names like Barnett and Campbell get called but less common names like Paz do not.

EA is the devil though.

45 minutes ago, Player One said:

Anyone here own any import gaming consoles?  I've modded consoles before, but I'm kinda wanting to pick up at least a couple import consoles, at least for systems I have/want a large import collection.  I'm close to buying a limited edition PS2 J-NTSC console an a Japanese Dreamcast probably wouldn't be far behind.  Only reason I'm hesitating is the power supply issues.  Some websites say I can plug a Japanese gaming console directly into an outlet.  Other sites say I need a stepdown transformer.  Voltage is different in the US than Japan, but not hugely.  110 volts to 100.

Anyone here own/owned import consoles?  Did you use a stepdown transformer or something similar? 

I thought about getting a imported Saturn since a lot of the Japanese games for it are much more inexpensive than their US counterparts.  But I remembered at some point I imported X-Men vs Street Fighter and there's a way to play them on the US console. 

Now I'm considering getting a Neo Geo CD since the games on them are much cheaper than the AES/MVS version. 

3 hours ago, Player One said:

I've owned a couple of Japanese PS2s and just plugged them in directly with no issues.

Yeah, I just bought an import PS2.  One of the cool metallic models Sony released in Japan to celebrate the PS2 selling 50 million units (total, not in Japan alone).  I probably am not going out to buy PAL consoles too, so I'll still have to softmod to play PAL exclusives and there will be a few games out there with English patches (Fire Pro R, for example), but, as much as possible, I'm going to get away from console mods, burned DVDs, ISO files, the whole thing.  Shrug.  I can afford it and I kinda prefer trying to keep things as "original equipment" as possible.

Lol, I'm still tempted to just keep using a boot disc for the Dreamcast.  Dreamcast made it very easy to play imports if you had a Gameshark disc or something similar and you could still play the original, store-bought disc - without having to mod your case or stick a piece of tape on the inside of the disc tray like we used to do with PS2.  Although.... I can get a used Japanese Dreamcast for about $50-$60.  The only reason not do that is that I don't really like the looks of any of the Japanese Dreamcast consoles.  Easier decision with PSOne and 2 where Sony released a lot of console variants and most of them looked cool.

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

EA bought those rights from the NCAA, who at the time owned the rights to players likenesses indefinitely.  Ed O'Bannon sued the NCAA for selling his likeness, and won.  EA, still wanting to sell the games, offered to pay the players and the NCAA said no.  EA is horrible for multiple reasons, but this is one of the few instances where they are on the right side.  The players didn't and don't have the ability to sell their likenesses, the NCAA did until the O'Bannon lawsuit.  The names they use are generally a generic list of common last names.  I may or may not have created a 1* school to build into a juggernaut and added all my friends as players, and names like Barnett and Campbell get called but less common names like Paz do not.

EA is the devil though.

It's not just generic names though. I considered that possibility at the time - then I heard some very specific, very unusual name, get used. 

It wasn't just the names. I cant remember which quarter back it was but I want to say it was one of the Oklahoma ones during that stretch where they had three or four in a row that became big names. EA and the NCAA would argue that the players in the NCAA games be it football or basketball had ZERO relationship to players in the real world. Thats how they would get around likeness issues. Then EA f'ed up and put in the all time teams and that's where Ed O'Bannon steps in. But the story of the Quaterback blows it out of water. So the Quaterback plays a season as a back up, the guy in front of him moves on the pros so he becomes the starter. At the spring game he goes out in his normal gear. After the game the player and coaches talk and decide he will start wearing a visor and a call sheet. None of this is reported to the press or anyone. So NCAA Football comes out and he goes and buys a copy or one of his friends does and he goes to look at what his rating is as players are to do. And hes shocked not by his rating but by the fact that QB# whatever for Oklahoma who is you know his exact hight and weight blah blah...is also wearing a call sheet and visor. So how is it that the players in NCAA video games made by EA didn't really match real life players?

It's been a while since I've played enough games to have a post like this! I've seriously been pouring all of my time into R6 Siege (145 hours since February) and Fire Pro (477 hours and it's currently running right now while I write this) but I've had a couple of fun things show up in my life this month!

THE WORLD OF WARCRAFT THAT GOT MADE AFTER IT WAS CLEAR IT WAS GOING TO BE A SUCCESS IS SUPER WEIRD [n/a]
So I got back in.

Now that you're done laughing, here's what's I have to say. I leveled a character to 60 to take advantage of the boost that comes with the new expansion, and so when I boosted from 60 to 110, after seeing all the old content, it was like installing a separate game on top of the old game. They barely feel related. It's absurd and the best weird trip I've had with a game since God of War made me incapable of enjoying a game with a serious story for the rest of the year. For anyone who might care or know what this means, I've been mainlining the Suramar quest and been having a good time with it. It's like interesting arc-wise (short: help drug addicts overthrow the supplier) but if you asked me to name two characters I would not be able to. But, hey- spooky caves, good for podcasts. that's what I wanted.

IRON BRIGADE (fka TRENCHED) [3]
I want to love this game! I want to love it so much! It has all sorts of things I like doing! It's just that the PC port is old and it feels like every other match I have, at least one friend ends up disconnected. That's a fucking bummer, because everything about playing it and doing it rules. If you have a time machine, you should go buy this and play it while it's new on 360 cuz it's super good.

POLYTOPIA [4]
Let me give you the basics.

-It's Minimalist Civ on your phone.
-It's free, with no abusive "WATCH ADS TO DO STUFF" structure.
-It comes with four civs, there's around 15 total, new ones are $1-$3
-You have 30 turns to build your empire as big as you can
-There's a scoreboard that seems physically impossible
-There's online multiplayer if you need that
-There's pass and play multiplayer if you want that

It is perfect for me and where I'm at with video games right now. It's an empire builder you can play in short bursts where no one says more than a sentence. It's a precious diamond.

EDIT: This was initially a self-roast about how out of touch I am but let me double down: I thought this game came out this year and it in fact came out in 2016

EDIT 2: upon rereading, I just want to make something clear- I am not complimenting God of War there. It has exhausted my ability to enjoy story in big budget games. I disliked it very much and I am dreading the next wave of Dad Stories it's success has certainly inspired.

• Like 2

Iron Brigade is a great game, for sure. I don't think that I ever finished the Mars DLC on 360; I stopped playing for too long before trying to get back into it, and IIRC the DLC was pretty challenging. 

That was a precarious time financially for Double Fine after the Brutal Legend debacle, but man, did they make some of their best work under pressure. Costume Quest, Iron Brigade, and Stacking came out one after the other, and while I have so much love for CQ (not its sequel, though) and Iron Brigade, Stacking is low-key one of the best, most creative puzzle games of all time. I love the lateral thinking that the game promoted. My wife doesn't play video games at all, really, and she LOVES that game. 

10 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

So...who's plowing through Octopath Traveler to tell the rest of us if it's worth buying or not? Not seeing a ton of reviews, but the ones that are there are generally strong.

I'm watching it on Twitch as we speak and the first 2 hours have been pretty solid classic Square Enix JRPG stuff. It seems like you can play out the 8 character's stories in really different orders based on who you choose to start with? So that's interesting.  The guy I am watching started as the merchant and is through that segment into the game just opening up now. The art and music is great. The voices are cheesy but, like, in a way that fits? I am fine with it.

My early impression is that it feels a lot like a pre-FF VII era game, which I mean as a compliment.

You can get an item called Slippery Nut.

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

So...who's plowing through Octopath Traveler to tell the rest of us if it's worth buying or not? Not seeing a ton of reviews, but the ones that are there are generally strong.

Too busy playing Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, my friend.

Which reminds me: Everyone, you should be playing Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 3:49 PM, odessasteps said:

Cheaper than the $400 ish I think I paid for my Japanese DC. :)

One of the advantages of retro gaming.  I paid $60 for an import Dreamcast earlier this week (refurbished from an eBay seller i trust).  For the most part, consoles for the games I'm interested in - even import consoles - can be had fairly cheaply.

Almost done with story mode in Yakuza Kiwami, but a LONG way from 100 percenting it.  Bouncing back and forth between that, SF5, Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX3. I keep feeling like I should dig back into Injustice and finally push Atom to 30, but it's much easier for me to sit down and play SF5 for ten minutes.

I'm on games 3 and 4 of my backlog for PS4, and I'm really hoping when I finally get around to Horizon: Zero Dawn, it's good because right now, I'm in the throughly dissappointed area for Arkham Knight and Andromeda.  I mean, there's a lot of good groundwork there in Andromeda, but the execution was sorely lacking.  For Arkham Knight, It really seems like they wanted to make Batmobile: The Game and forgot everything else that made the Arkham series great.  

The part where the camera swings around his back for the shooting scene was a pitch-perfect recreation of how those scenes start in the game.  Made me instinctively reach for the controller that wasn't there.

I've been wanting to try Elder Scrolls Online for awhile now, but I also wanted to play Octopath Traveler. Wound up getting Elder Scrolls Online.

Wow, it is really good. Back when I would play WoW, I wanted to play an MMO that played like Diablo. I couldn't really stand combat being right-click on somethiner and sit and watch. I wanted something more active. ESO is exactly what I've wanted for a long time. All of the combat is done by left-clicking on enemies and it's all active time. You use your numbered keys for abilities too. The game also looks great for such a huge world. I'm more impressed by this than WoW because to me, making an open world look cartoony would be easier to pull off than making it look realistic. I'm quite digging ESO so far. I might even pay for ESO Plus.

I'll get to Octopath at some point though. Maybe when it goes on sale.