DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

32 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

I dunno man.  Kung Fu master that takes no shit for 100 hours always goes before stuff furries masturbate to in my game pecking order

It has excellent 3d platforming, very good 3p shooting and a bleak-ass sense of humor.  That's enough to get 15 hours out of me no questions asked.

• Like 1

Shit, between beating Yakuza 6 already, and having Kiwami 2 and Fist of the North Star coming soon and the Kiwami 2 demo dropping today, I think I'm going to be 80% 100+ hour street fighting and 20% Firepro and cowboys in 2018.

I've been playing The Crew 2 lately to avoid going on real drives when it's 114 degrees outside (seriously) and go on fake ones instead.

I did not like Sleeping Dogs and quit five or six hours into it, but maybe I should give it another try. It does strike me as a bit of a Yakuza-like.

Out of curiosity, what's the most people have ever paid for a game.

I seem to be throwing down increasingly large amounts for retro games, in part because I want clean copies so I buy "sealed" (lol, more like re-sealed) copies or "like new" games from a few eBay sellers I trust and one of the local retro stores.  Finding out that Dreamcast games tend to be very expensive due to low print runs.

Anyway, paid a few hundred last night for a rare factory sealed PS2 game and am curious what the most others have paid is.

My "record" at the moment, is $260.

I paid $250 to play Panzer Dragoon Saga a few years ago and then sold it back and recouped my costs. 

I paid $179 to get Steel Battalion for OG Xbox along with the special controller. Worth it.

Other than that, I haven't paid more than $60 for a game, I don't think. 

The depths of my depravity was Fire N Ice on NES with the manual for 200 bucks on ebay.  The only other nintendo game I bought that was even close was Whomp 'em for 40.  Moai Kun was 30.  All my other good stuff I either had as a kid or was from before this most recent boom.  Like shatterhand for 15, Jackie Chan for 10 and all other sorts of shit that'll make you cry.  I only go for the actual good shit and not the dumb rare shit like Swamp Thing.

Demon's Crest, Chrono Trigger + Tactics Ogre all ran me around 80 or 90 a few years ago, just bought Einhander for a cool $100.

I would love to sink an absurd amount of money into Steel Battalion but I have no idea what it's *supposed* to sell for. Ebay has it at $300.

36 minutes ago, Player One said:

Out of curiosity, what's the most people have ever paid for a game.

I seem to be throwing down increasingly large amounts for retro games, in part because I want clean copies so I buy "sealed" (lol, more like re-sealed) copies or "like new" games from a few eBay sellers I trust and one of the local retro stores.  Finding out that Dreamcast games tend to be very expensive due to low print runs.

Anyway, paid a few hundred last night for a rare factory sealed PS2 game and am curious what the most others have paid is.

My "record" at the moment, is $260.

I've hit $90 a few times on imports (Macross games for PSP, Fire Pro G) and have bought a few $100 LEs with the Amazon 20% discount (Persona 5 and Injustice 2 being the two from last year), but I haven't ever seen an older game I wanted badly enough to cross that $100 threshold.

lol, the Canadian dollar sucks. I paid $120 to buy Final Fantasy VI back when it was called Final Fantasy III, when it was the hottest new shit on the SNES. Don't think I've crossed three digits to buy a game since. I also dropped another $20 on the Nintendo Power produced FF III guide, which is actually a pretty awesome collectable in hindsight and I'm happy to say I still have it in one piece.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

I picked up a copy of Super Robot Wars X, think I'll be able to do everything but the DLC. Should be fun

DLC's not needed; the scenarios only give you extra parts and you just get Cybaster later on than if you got the pre-order DLC.

SRWX is rather easy unless it's your first time playing a SRW game or you're trying Expert mode on the first run through.

Heh, forking over $90 for Fallout 4 & the Season Pass is the sort of thing I'll never do again. Prior to that, I don't recall the last time I paid full price for a game - even the things I got for Switch were 2-for-1s or on sale.

Before the DLC boom, I think the most I paid was the $80 total for Arkham City + Season Pass.  Far as current AAA stuff, GTA V for PS3 was the last thing I paid "Full Price" for.   Retro, I keep waiting to find a Chrono Trigger to drop below $100 but that ain't happening I'm afraid.  $100 is about as far as i'd go for a physical copy, but out of what I actually play retro, they're all reasonable (except Mega Man X, I'm never paying a physical copy of that game ever again it seems).

On 7/6/2018 at 12:55 PM, Zimbra said:

Aww, the latest Slay the Spire patch added a 2 energy cost to Mind Blast.  So much for hoarding and upgrading those to melt everything in the first round.

Trying to decide whether to get Wolfenstein, Doom, or Prey from the PSN sale.  I've heard good things about all three so I don't think I can go wrong.

I may be wrong but I believe they are selling a Doom/Wolfenstein 2 pack for less than $30

I think the most I've ever paid for a brand new game before DLC was $200+ for the limited edition of Macross 30.  I've been trying to reduce the number of imports I get just because spending $80+ on brand new games.

Of course, there was the brief period where I got sucked in by the Im@s franchise and I was getting DLC songs every month...

I think I paid $89 for the Mass Effect 3 Special Edition or Collector's Edition or whatever it was called. That is the only time I remember paying more than $60 for the actual game.

I think my total cost for ME3 after DLC was a little more than $150. It is one of my all time favorite games so I didn't mind that.

I spent more than that on Destiny when all was said and done and that was without buying the last DLC expansion. I still hate myself for that.

Of course, since I am a fool, I will probably pass that total again with Destiny 2

I shouldn't be allowed to breathe

Generally I've paid in the $40-60 range for games. I never went after rare shit. I think the most I've paid for a game was the special edition of FF15 which I amazingly still haven't played through yet. That was in the $70-80 range.

I paid around $80 plus shipping from Japan for Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 on N64 and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I think the only games I've ever paid above retail for were puro games.