DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I am bummed.  I have been hankering to play an old school classic turn based RPG on my XBone and thought I had one in Arslan:  The Warriors of Legend but turns out it is more like Dynasty Warriors.  Fuck..

And no. I am not falling into the Dragon Age: Inquisition trap.

I may have to pick up Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, or Pier Solar on the cheap.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

The longest I ever lasted without gaming was about a month.

Well, I have all the stuff on my phone and iPad to play. Plus, the Switch, so it's like I have gone gold turkey.

Btw, AC Origins having the RB as the attack button is very weird. 

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am bummed.  I have been hankering to play an old school classic turn based RPG on my XBone and thought I had one in Arslan:  The Warriors of Legend but turns out it is more like Dynasty Warriors.  Fuck..

And no. I am not falling into the Dragon Age: Inquisition trap.

I may have to pick up Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, or Pier Solar on the cheap.

Have  you seen Battlechasers?

I've got it in my XB1 backlog.

IGN Review

• Like 1

Slay the Spire ascension 5 beaten with the Silent. Looks like stuff is gonna get ultra-stupid from this point on as ascension 6 is:

- More elites

- Elites hit harder

- Normal enemies hit harder

- Bosses hit harder

- Less healing after beating bosses

- Start runs damaged

Do I even want to look up ascension 15?

• Like 1

I want to play the Marvel Ultimate Alliance series again.

I'm just not into going to storage and trying to find a working PS2 and controller.

So I look online and find that Activision released a "Remastered" collection  for XB1 & PS4 a couple of years ago.

Big problem is that collection still goes for $60 for the bundle or $40 each.

The reviews are shit and the price is unacceptable for two games that were (re)released over 2 years ago.

I thought about picking up the PC version on eBay since there still seems to be a mod scene for the games, but I'd prefer to play on console.

Guess I could pick up the PS3 versions, at least I still have that console semi-active in the house.

Thanks for letting me vent my spleen.

3 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I'm just not into going to storage and trying to find a working PS2 and controller.

So I look online and find that Activision released a "Remastered" collection  for XB1 & PS4 a couple of years ago.

The reviews are shit and the price is unacceptable for two games that were (re)released over 2 years ago.

They go on sale for $15 for one or $24 for the pair pretty regularly, at least on Playstation. Wait for that to buy them.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Just wait for the "Avengers Project", which is supposedly a reboot of the Ultimate Alliance series.

X-Men:  Legends was fun but I kinda hated the Ultimate Alliance games.

I wish that Ghost Story Games TAFKA Irrational Games / Take 2 Boston would make a Freedom Force game for X-Box One Arcade.

4 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I thought about picking up the PC version on eBay since there still seems to be a mod scene for the games, but I'd prefer to play on console.

Guess I could pick up the PS3 versions, at least I still have that console semi-active in the house.

Thanks for letting me vent my spleen.

Stay FAR AWAY from the PC version.  Broken doesn't describe it.

17 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Have  you seen Battlechasers?

I've got it in my XB1 backlog.

IGN Review

God, I would lose hours of my life to that game and my Destiny clan would hate me.

I'm getting a copy ASAP.

• Haha 1

How much do choices carry over from one Witcher game to the next (specifically from 2 to 3)?

I have attempted to play 2 a few times and haven't finished it for a variety of reasons but if I keep waiting to play 2 to get to 3 - I will never play 3.

So I am just wondering how much I will be missing out on if I don't play 2

I tried starting with 3, and then I realized, "Oh, right, the goddamned entirety of the plot of 2 is stuff I am totally ignorant of and am now being grilled over so I can 'design' my version of Geralt." At which point I found the nearest ledge to jump off and kill myself (it doesn't take much, 5 meters seems to be plenty for him). Who knows if I will ever play any game in the series, what with the awful controls in 1 and people telling me the controls don't get better enough in 2.

But, if you've played some of 2, then maybe you at least know what choices you'd make and can just fill in those blanks for yourself well enough to fake it.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:24 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm a big fan of Life Force for the NES, Mars Matrix, and the goofy-as-hell Parodius series.

Which Parodius games?  I'm looking at Sexy Parodius (on Saturn) and... I dunno.... Parodius Da!... but I'm open to recommendations.

Just now, Player One said:

Which Parodius games?  I'm looking at Sexy Parodius (on Saturn) and... I dunno.... Parodius Da!... but I'm open to recommendations.

I think Da! is the one I spent the most time with, but there's another one (that I think is also on Super Famicom) with 16 playable characters + play-by-play commentary that's an absolute hoot.

I thought I was kinda done with Darkest Dungeon after 150+ hours but the new DLC is pretty cheap and the minute I started watching streams of it there is Wayne June's fucking voice taunting me to come back. Might have to do it. I have to admit part of me wants to try and get the achievement for beating Stygian mode just to put myself into The Meaningless Video Game Eilte.

I'm realizing for about the 53rd time (particularly after trying to answer Rippa's question about Witcher) that Bethesda video games make me bad at video games, and bad at actually getting through my backlog of stuff I've never even played. So I thought I'd throw this out there. 

What should I play?

My PC selection of relatively untouched games is vast:

GTA IV; the entire Mass Effect series; the entire Dragon Age series; Sleeping Dogs; Far Cry (through 3/Blood Dragon); the Just Cause series; Witcher 2 & 3; Saints Row 3 & 4; the two recent Deus Ex entries; etc.

I like my games with RPG elements. I like my games with some fighting. I like my games with some freedom. But I think the biggest reason I find myself going back to something like Skyrim or New Vegas is that the tutorials are solid and make you feel like, "Yeah, I can just wander off and go do some neat stuff." Granted, part of why I just consoled/blasted my way through Oblivion is that the controls were so clunky that it was a chore in comparison to the games they've done in the decade-plus since.

I tried playing through about the first 45-120 minutes of Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age 1 and didn't have that sense of control; maybe they get better, maybe I need to quit whining. Feel free to tell me as much. I also played through roughly the first mission of Saints Row 3 and wasn't in love with the tiny shooting reticles or the controls. I played quite a bit more of L.A. Noire (why, I'm not sure) and found myself thinking, "Wow, the Saints Row games really must be trying to parody GTA, right down to the oddball controls," so I'm not super-eager to dive into something made by Rockstar, if it handles like I recall L.A. Noire handling. I think Deus Ex Human Revolution had some of the same problems, and its tutorial level was...not great, from what I remember. 

So, tl,dr; What is going to be the simplest thing to pick up without feeling like I have to unlearn a thousand hours of bad habits from other games, particularly when odious controller setup is one of the things practically guaranteed to get me to avoid a game? Sleeping Dogs seems tempting, for some odd reason. I suppose I should go back to Mass Effect and give it another spin, though I had forgotten that it wasn't even available in HD. Something totally out of my normal wheelhouse like Far Cry 3 is tempting, too. And yes, after listening to the lot of you talk CONSTANTLY about it, I pre-ordered Yakuza 0, so this is just to tide me over until that launches.

8 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I'm realizing for about the 53rd time (particularly after trying to answer Rippa's question about Witcher) that Bethesda video games make me bad at video games, and bad at actually getting through my backlog of stuff I've never even played. So I thought I'd throw this out there. 

This is so true, I was between games and looking for something to play.  I chose to play Fallout 4 again, because I heard of a mod that allows you to put a companion in charge of settlements and they will automate the building of settlements.  They build some really interesting settlements and the settlements level up as you play so eventually the settlements turn into little towns that feel like a more organic part of the world.  This is my 3rd playthrough of a game that not only disappointed the hell out of me, but it crashes all of the time.

I think I'm going to reinstall The Witcher 3 and actually try to get through it this time.

44 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

What should I play?

My PC selection of relatively untouched games is vast:

GTA IV; the entire Mass Effect series; the entire Dragon Age series; Sleeping Dogs; Far Cry (through 3/Blood Dragon); the Just Cause series; Witcher 2 & 3; Saints Row 3 & 4; the two recent Deus Ex entries; etc.

I like my games with RPG elements. I like my games with some fighting. I like my games with some freedom. But I think the biggest reason I find myself going back to something like Skyrim or New Vegas is that the tutorials are solid and make you feel like, "Yeah, I can just wander off and go do some neat stuff." Granted, part of why I just consoled/blasted my way through Oblivion is that the controls were so clunky that it was a chore in comparison to the games they've done in the decade-plus since.

I tried playing through about the first 45-120 minutes of Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age 1 and didn't have that sense of control; maybe they get better, maybe I need to quit whining. Feel free to tell me as much. I also played through roughly the first mission of Saints Row 3 and wasn't in love with the tiny shooting reticles or the controls. I played quite a bit more of L.A. Noire (why, I'm not sure) and found myself thinking, "Wow, the Saints Row games really must be trying to parody GTA, right down to the oddball controls," so I'm not super-eager to dive into something made by Rockstar, if it handles like I recall L.A. Noire handling. I think Deus Ex Human Revolution had some of the same problems, and its tutorial level was...not great, from what I remember. 

So, tl,dr; What is going to be the simplest thing to pick up without feeling like I have to unlearn a thousand hours of bad habits from other games, particularly when odious controller setup is one of the things practically guaranteed to get me to avoid a game? Sleeping Dogs seems tempting, for some odd reason. I suppose I should go back to Mass Effect and give it another spin, though I had forgotten that it wasn't even available in HD. Something totally out of my normal wheelhouse like Far Cry 3 is tempting, too. And yes, after listening to the lot of you talk CONSTANTLY about it, I pre-ordered Yakuza 0, so this is just to tide me over until that launches.

Sleeping Dogs.  I'm not even reading your criteria.  Just play Sleeping Dogs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is so true, I was between games and looking for something to play.  I chose to play Fallout 4 again, because I heard of a mod that allows you to put a companion in charge of settlements and they will automate the building of settlements.  They build some really interesting settlements and the settlements level up as you play so eventually the settlements turn into little towns that feel like a more organic part of the world.  This is my 3rd playthrough of a game that not only disappointed the hell out of me, but it crashes all of the time.

I think I'm going to reinstall The Witcher 3 and actually try to get through it this time.

After giving up on it about a year ago, I blasted through it earlier this spring and it's great. Sometimes the dialog is unnecessarily long, sometimes quests become too grindy, but I really did enjoy it. I haven't touched much of the DLC, so I'll probably do that first after I get off work.

Unrelated: Jurassic World Evolution is fucking GREAT when you're not having to wait around for funds to accrue. I love how easily agitated the raptors and T-Rex are during stuff like tropical storms. This is pretty close to what I wanted. I wish there was a bit more to do, that we got water dinos (hoping it's in a future dlc pack), and maybe a few more modes but I haven't even touched sandbox mode yet. I love how you are put in positions where it's okay to backtrack to a previous island, use some of the huge amounts of money you've built up to research and finance expeditions and so on to make life easier on the start-up islands you're still building up. Goldblum is unsurprisingly magnificent too. Didn't mail it in as I thought he would.

Also - for most people, Mass Effect 1 is notoriously bad for its controls that get so so much better in ME2

The issue though is getting through ME1 so you can set up your universe the way you want it because the default that Bioware chose sucks

Oh and yeah - play Sleeping Dogs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also - for most people, Mass Effect 1 is notoriously bad for its controls that get so so much better in ME2

The issue though is getting through ME1 so you can set up your universe the way you want it because the default that Bioware chose sucks

Oh and yeah - play Sleeping Dogs

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that prefers the combat in ME1 to ME2.  I think I'm just biased against cover based shooters.  It didn't help that I'd wander into a new area in ME2, spot some low walls, and tell myself "well, time for another fight."  ME3 was a big improvement there.