DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Kiryu is trying to chat up hostesses talking about the Dreamcast in Yakuza 6 so the master system is probably way more accurate.

They're not doing Kiwami 3, though, apparently.  It's just going to be remaster re-releases for 3-5.

The game is changed a bit from the original.  You can select from different fighting styles and there's new side missions/events, like Majima will randomly pop out (most times in different costumes/disguises) to challenge Kiryu to a fight.  If you fight and win enough times, you unlock special moves.

Does anyone  remember if Castlevania: Curse of Darkness got a US Xbox release?  For some reason, I thought the Xbox release was a Japan exclusive, but a little research indicates it was either released in the US and Europe or released In all three regions.  Not sure what's right.  FWIW, the box just says "NTSC" on the front and videos on Youtube appear to show English audio and menus, so I'm assuming it was released in the US.  Just want to be sure before I buy a copy from eBay.

Thanks.

I think I finally hit an Ironclad build in Slay the Spire I don't totally hate: Combust (lose 1 HP per turn deal 5 damage to everything) and Rupture (gain a strength every time you get damage from a card). All you really need for attacks is a Heavy Blade. Thunderclap actually gets good. Cleave works too. Blood For Blood actually becomes usable. You're also laughing if you get lucky and get Immolate. Pretty much the rest of your deck can be anything with block you can get hold of. Going to have to try running it a few more times but it was fun.

On 6/13/2018 at 2:44 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

Oh yeah, the final boss. The WORST boss fight I've ever experienced. I don't know how to make sense of the fact that human hands coded that nightmare.

Dude. Fuck that boss fight. I beat it once and haven't been able to since.

Anyone want to recommend some 2D shmups that are good for beginners?   Not a huge fan of the genre, but I've picked up a couple good ones lately and want to pick up a couple of the better ones.  Rather enjoyed Slipheed, but thought DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou was insanely hard.  That said, DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou is somewhat rare and was never released in the US, so I'm happy to have it on the shelf.  I'll probably  pick up a few of the best shooters (mostly import) just to have for the collection, but I'd like to play a few easy-ish ones and see how much I want to dive into the genre.  Most of these "bullet hell" shooters look insanely difficult.

Imports are fine. 

Also, got Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future in the mail yesterday.  Had a lot of fun with JRSF last night.

I'm pretty shit at shmups so they're all hard to me but I still enjoyed Ikaruga and Deathsmiles.  The latter at least has some difficulty options.  Jamestown on PC is also pretty good and not too difficult.

5 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Anyone want to recommend some 2D shmups that are good for beginners?   Not a huge fan of the genre, but I've picked up a couple good ones lately and want to pick up a couple of the better ones.  Rather enjoyed Slipheed, but thought DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou was insanely hard.  That said, DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou is somewhat rare and was never released in the US, so I'm happy to have it on the shelf.  I'll probably  pick up a few of the best shooters (mostly import) just to have for the collection, but I'd like to play a few easy-ish ones and see how much I want to dive into the genre.  Most of these "bullet hell" shooters look insanely difficult.

I'm a big fan of Life Force for the NES, Mars Matrix, and the goofy-as-hell Parodius series.

I've been playing the Defect in Slay the Spire and he seems really variance based.  Like, if you try to spec into multiple types of orbs, you have to channel them in the correct order or you won't get the correct effects proc'd at the right time (looking at you, dark).  And if you don't draw your channel effects early, you're probably fighting from behind, especially in the second and third acts where common encounters will annihilate you while you draw dead card after dead card.

And don't even get me started on getting a random rare card as my run-starting gift... and getting Meteor Strike.  Oh goody, a five energy card I can't play.  Thanks.

My favorite build that I've had so far is a lightning build with Electrodynamics, making your lightning orbs hit all enemies instead of a random enemy.  I really want to try a 0 cost build but my card discoveries never seem to line up in that direction.

Damn, this game is fun.  Addictive, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm having the typical Yakuza experience where, after the first 45 minutes of gameplay is very narrative-heavy to set up the main narrative, that narrative gets back-benched for an assortment of side-quests and minigames. 

One thing that I'll say about Yakuza 0 is that Rockstar should play it before they add mini-games to GTA VI next generation. Yakuza's mini-games feel very good in a way that GTA's never really do. The pool and bowling mini-games feel a lot better here than they did in GTA IV, for example (though bowling is killing me somewhat as it's almost impossible to generate snap or power when throwing a hook; backup balls do a bit better at this, but not quite as much as they need to). I burned a lot of time and yen in the bowling alley and the batting cages. 

I also have to agree with whoever said that Yakuza is Shenmue done correctly. I have tried to play Shenmue about eight times in my life, but each time I would get to the point where I could access the arcade and play a bunch of Space Harrier, then stop playing the game entirely after having my fill of Space Harrier. In Yakuza 0, I played a bunch of Space Harrier and then actually went about playing the rest of the game when I was done. 

Anyway, I love that this compact little area has so many interesting things going on inside it. I do think that the enemy encounter rate is a bit high for my tastes, especially when I'm trying to complete a quest that has me stop at various places on the map (like getting the homeless men their alcohol from three different stores at different places on the map), but I love how lively it is. There is always something interesting around every corner with the random encounters that end up sparking side-quests, the enemy encounters, and the shops and games that litter the map.

I'm pretty sure that I read something about Outrun being in this game, and as someone whose favorite driving game is somehow still Outrun of all fucking games, I'm looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Imports are fine. 

Also, got Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future in the mail yesterday.  Had a lot of fun with JRSF last night.

Any of the Raiden games. 

18 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm having the typical Yakuza experience where, after the first 45 minutes of gameplay is very narrative-heavy to set up the main narrative, that narrative gets back-benched for an assortment of side-quests and minigames. 

One thing that I'll say about Yakuza 0 is that Rockstar should play it before they add mini-games to GTA VI next generation. Yakuza's mini-games feel very good in a way that GTA's never really do. The pool and bowling mini-games feel a lot better here than they did in GTA IV, for example (though bowling is killing me somewhat as it's almost impossible to generate snap or power when throwing a hook; backup balls do a bit better at this, but not quite as much as they need to). I burned a lot of time and yen in the bowling alley and the batting cages. 

I also have to agree with whoever said that Yakuza is Shenmue done correctly. I have tried to play Shenmue about eight times in my life, but each time I would get to the point where I could access the arcade and play a bunch of Space Harrier, then stop playing the game entirely after having my fill of Space Harrier. In Yakuza 0, I played a bunch of Space Harrier and then actually went about playing the rest of the game when I was done. 

Anyway, I love that this compact little area has so many interesting things going on inside it. I do think that the enemy encounter rate is a bit high for my tastes, especially when I'm trying to complete a quest that has me stop at various places on the map (like getting the homeless men their alcohol from three different stores at different places on the map), but I love how lively it is. There is always something interesting around every corner with the random encounters that end up sparking side-quests, the enemy encounters, and the shops and games that litter the map.

I'm pretty sure that I read something about Outrun being in this game, and as someone whose favorite driving game is somehow still Outrun of all fucking games, I'm looking forward to it. 

I picked up a PS4 the other day mainly for the Yakuza series.  I ended up picking up the Kiwami steelbook, and Yakuza 0 is on sale in the PS store so I picked it up for $17.  I am currently doing the 1 month deal with PS Now and they have Yakuza 4 and 5.  I am looking to get Yakuza 6 and will be caught up. I spend a good part of today playing The Last of Us Remastered.  Amazing game and hard to stop playing.  Loving it so far.

19 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Wait until you get the king of all mini games, the hostess bar management.  That and the real estate management have enough content to be fairly satisfying games on their own and both have full storylines.

Got my 111th Platinum trophy with Starhawk. The servers for it are shutting down on June 30th, 2018. I used a glitch where you have to only download patch 1.01, play the mission on Easy then switch before the end of the mission/last enemies of the mission to Mercenary and it will count as completion towards Mercenary. The online is really grindy and may be possible to do in 2 weeks. You have to win 100 CTF, 100 TDM, 100 Zones matches and kill 1,000 enemies. As well as win 50 Prospector (co op Horde mode) matches.

Meanwhile, I finally started Yakuza Kiwami in earnest and have reached the point Smelly describes.  I'm tempted to buy 0 while it's cheap, but kind of want to play the series in order since multiple friends (as well as a podcast or two) have said it's really difficult to go back to the first couple games, even in Kiwami form, after playing the modern ones.  Meanwhile, having gotten about halfway thru Yakuza 1 PS2 before losing it in a move, I keep hearing Michael Rosenbaum and Mark Hamill in my head when Nishiki and Majima speak.

Not gonna thread necro for 2 observations on Arkham Knight:

For what everyone was complaining about the Bat-tank, I thought the controls were gonna be shit.  It's not that bad, although I really think they should've went for a toggle instead of a hold down the button method.  And, yeah, 30% in and this game seems like it really wanted to overcompensate for lack of Batmobile in the previous 3 games.  It really feels like some of the Batmobile stuff was forced in.

Also not a fan of the button realignment and no more gadget quick change.

As an aside, I discovered Remote Play the same day I got my PS4, and holy shit is it going to up my playing time as it doesn't matter if the kids want to monopolize the TV or the wife wants me to hang out upstairs with her, I can play my PS4 on my laptop, and that works (the 720p doesn't bother me that much, I'm not a graphics snob and don't care long as I can play.)

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, odessasteps said:

Finally hooked up Xbone to my TV. Liked that the first thing it did was notice it was 4K and ask if I wanted to run in that mode.

Currently 20 minutes into updates since the last time I turned it on (which JT said was 5 months). 

The longest I ever lasted without gaming was about a month.

I am bummed.  I have been hankering to play an old school classic turn based RPG on my XBone and thought I had one in Arslan:  The Warriors of Legend but turns out it is more like Dynasty Warriors.  Fuck..

And no. I am not falling into the Dragon Age: Inquisition trap.

I may have to pick up Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, or Pier Solar on the cheap.