2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

1 hour ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

all the SquareSoft/Square Enix rpg's I've never had time to finish

1 hour ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Y'know, intelligent games.  

Does not compute. 

• Haha 1

I played Jurassic World Evolution for an hour and a half and I genuinely can't tell if it lacks park building options or if the tutorials are just terrible. (The tutorials are terrible, and tend to only pop up after you go digging into menus on your own instead of "hey, you should see this".)

Also, I gotta be honest, I dislike how much of the game is waiting for timers to count down like a mobile game. The core loop of acquiring and extracting DNA from fossils is a wasted opportunity to do something, anything interesting.

On the other hand they really nailed the music and visuals. I have a feeling this is the kind of game that's going to really light it up with younger gamers but some of the older ones are going to find a hundred things to (mostly fairly) nitpick.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Lol, I had no idea until I heard it on a podcast this morning that Shenmue was originally planned to be an 11-game series.  Might have overreached a bit on that one.

Overreach is the entire point of the series! The highest of high concepts, the spending of entirely too much money in an attempt to tell the deepest and truest human story they possibly can only for the real successes to end up entirely different - memorably bad voice acting, Trying a Game of Lucky Hit, sailors, forklifts, remembering how much we like to play Hang-On, etc. That's why I have so much hope for Shenmue III. They raised entirely too much money. They talked people into giving them $10,000 to be a combat NPC. It's been delayed and I'm pretty sure I haven't even seen anything close to gameplay footage. If they don't fuck this up, it won't be a Shenmue and I won't like it.

My only positive memory of Shenmue II is spending way more time than I was supposed to being a plinko street vendor. That and when I bought it from the used game store, the Very Attractive Pink Haired Lady that works in every such store complimented me on my good taste.

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I played Jurassic World Evolution for an hour and a half and I genuinely can't tell if it lacks park building options or if the tutorials are just terrible. (The tutorials are terrible, and tend to only pop up after you go digging into menus on your own instead of "hey, you should see this".)

Also, I gotta be honest, I dislike how much of the game is waiting for timers to count down like a mobile game. The core loop of acquiring and extracting DNA from fossils is a wasted opportunity to do something, anything interesting.

On the other hand they really nailed the music and visuals. I have a feeling this is the kind of game that's going to really light it up with younger gamers but some of the older ones are going to find a hundred things to (mostly fairly) nitpick.

How does it run on your set-up?

I feel mostly the same. I only put like an hour tops into it so far but, yeah, the interface is a little clunky (you can really tell they wanted this to be played by console users and not primarily PC users) and the tutorials are way too vague. However, I do like the depth, the visuals, the balance between the three teams, and the general idea. I am going to be very forgiving with this game, though they really should give us the chance to build the iconic JP gate (I haven't seen it yet).

54 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

How does it run on your set-up?

I feel mostly the same. I only put like an hour tops into it so far but, yeah, the interface is a little clunky (you can really tell they wanted this to be played by console users and not primarily PC users) and the tutorials are way too vague. However, I do like the depth, the visuals, the balance between the three teams, and the general idea. I am going to be very forgiving with this game, though they really should give us the chance to build the iconic JP gate (I haven't seen it yet).

Honestly it's pretty rough, but I knew it was a gamble going in. Even on low settings in a tiny resolution it runs uncomfortably hot on my laptop. All that animated grass and foliage is just a killer. Also this game is so heavy on lighting and shadow effects that when you strip that off with the low settings almost everything but the dinosaurs looks pretty ass, if I'm honest. I figured if it was flat out broken for me I can just refund it. I'm really at the point where to play any major title I need to start thinking about dropping real money on a new PC or a console (which I don't like the idea of with my dumbass giant steam catalogue).

Decent gaming PC is basically a two-fer because you get the exclusive MS games for Xbox One on PC. Madden's back on PC too, so then it would just be NHL and MLB you'd really be missing out and the few PS4 exclusives worthwhile. Completely unsolicited ranking of gaming machines: PC then Switch then PS4 then Xbone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Black Angel said:

Quick question. Is Mafia 3 a good buy at 23 bucks?

I liked the game, but it is pretty easy, short, and gets repetitive.  On PS4 (not sure about other systems) there's a pretty big demo that lets you play the first set of missions and go around the city.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Honestly it's pretty rough, but I knew it was a gamble going in. Even on low settings in a tiny resolution it runs uncomfortably hot on my laptop. All that animated grass and foliage is just a killer. Also this game is so heavy on lighting and shadow effects that when you strip that off with the low settings almost everything but the dinosaurs looks pretty ass, if I'm honest. I figured if it was flat out broken for me I can just refund it. I'm really at the point where to play any major title I need to start thinking about dropping real money on a new PC or a console (which I don't like the idea of with my dumbass giant steam catalogue).

Not surprising, since the recommended settings for JWE look fairly close to my PC since dropping a high-end GPU into it. Hell, I even had to dial back the settings on Rise of the Tomb Raider because I wasn't thrilled with how much my machine was heating up.  At least you're not in no-man's-land of wanting/preferring a better (or at least less wattage-hungry) CPU & mobo but not being able to justify it, since the bump upward is only one tier. GPUs are beginning to come down (and I think will continue to do so), so it could be a good time to build something new.

That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.

Beat Sonic Generations yesterday. It came in that Humble Bundle a month or two back and it's the first of those games I took on. There's something optimistic about that one, something that makes you want to like it even if it's got issues. I think I preferred the old school levels 8 out of 9 times but there are tiny little moments of the 3D segments that make you wonder if it all couldn't have worked out decently with different developers. Perfect example of a 7/10 game that's worth 5 bucks and a week's worth of play if you have a nostalgic connection to the series. EDIT: Oh yeah, the final boss. The WORST boss fight I've ever experienced. I don't know how to make sense of the fact that human hands coded that nightmare.

Beat Bayonetta about twenty minutes ago. Holy Gameplay, that was something. The sequel is better? Funny thing, I tried to play it a year ago and I didn't like anything about it - aesthetically or gameplay-wise, but I tried again after sharpening my dodge trigger beating NieR: Automata and everything fell into place.

• Like 2

Been playing State of Decay 2. I would not say that I’m good at the management aspect. Just quit playing after inadvertently recruiting two new survivors that I have neither the beds nor food for. The latter, I can fix. The former is a problem.

I’m going to have to think through who I want to exile. I can’t afford any of the bases that would be large enough to house everyone, so that may be my only option. 

This game is rad overall, despite being a buggy mess at times...

Started playing Fallout Shelter. It's fine, but it's just an average sim game even by mobile standards. It still has a pretty good hook of quest ---> build using funding from quests, so that gameplay loop is worth my time off and on over the next months. 

Started also playing Yakuza 0. I haven't played a Yakuza game since I played maybe 2 or 3 on a friend's import PS2 for like an hour or two, and I remembered liking what I played, and basically Yakuza 0 is the shit. The devs really nailed that "Reagan '80s" vibe except in Japan (I don''t know who the Japanese PM was at the time, but I'm assuming he was the hero of Japanese yuppies who desired acquisition of wealth by any means necessary like Reagan was based on the setting and tone of the game so far). Also, the game likes giving you dumb shit to do that is just really varied and enjoyable even at this point in the game. I'm only a couple of hours in, but I'm liking this enough to play Yakuza Kiwami immediately after I'm done with 0.

Also, I heard that Kiwami has a full working Virtua Fighter 2 in the game, and since that is a) my favorite Virtua Fighter and b) my Saturn isn't hooked up right now, I want it. I hope Sega puts Fighters Megamix in Yakuza 7 or whatever the next Yakuza is. 

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Also, I heard that Kiwami has a full working Virtua Fighter 2 in the game, and since that is a) my favorite Virtua Fighter and b) my Saturn isn't hooked up right now, I want it. I hope Sega puts Fighters Megamix in Yakuza 7 or whatever the next Yakuza is. 

Kiwami has VF2 machines in the arcades, but you can't play them.  You will be able to in Kiwami 2.  Still a fun game, though.  You may want to check at Target for it.  I got the steelbook version from there a couple of months back for $9 on clearance.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Neil Koch said:

Kiwami has VF2 machines in the arcades, but you can't play them.  You will be able to in Kiwami 2.  Still a fun game, though.  You may want to check at Target for it.  I got the steelbook version from there a couple of months back for $9 on clearance.

I'll still probably play Kiwami, but Kiwami 2 is getting bought on sight just for having VF2. 

Is Kiwami an offshoot of the Yakuza games? I know that the mainline games follow Kiryu. Do the Kiwami games also have him as the main protag? 

16 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'll still probably play Kiwami, but Kiwami 2 is getting bought on sight just for having VF2. 

Is Kiwami an offshoot of the Yakuza games? I know that the mainline games follow Kiryu. Do the Kiwami games also have him as the main protag? 

Kiwami games are remakes of the PS2 Yakuza titles on modern engines

• Thanks 1

but with a lot more content in Kiwami 2's case.

Don't expect Fighter's Megamix in anything since they put in time period appropriate games when they do this and Shin Yakuza, the next sequel, will be modern.

Even if they did a Kiwami 3 that might work time period wise, Fighter's Megamix never got an arcade release and all the video games you can play in the series are arcade games.

• Thanks 1