DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

To the surprise of no one, Evolve's dedicated servers are shutting down on September 9, 2018. After that, you won't be able to Platinum / 100% it. I just have 7 trophies left on it.

Also, Starhawk may be shutting down on June 30th, 2018. It's a halfway decent space Western shooter / RTS for PS3. I'm at 44% of trophies and trying to Platinum it.

Mario Tennis Aces is pretty good if the demo is anything to go by. The special shots don't feel too overpowered, and the variety of regular shots feel really nice and easy to direct. 

45 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Mario Tennis Aces is pretty good if the demo is anything to go by. The special shots don't feel too overpowered, and the variety of regular shots feel really nice and easy to direct. 

I'm committed to the game if they make it a big ol' RPG like those glorious GBA ones. If not I'll wait as long as I have to for Tennis Story on the e-shop.

7 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

To the surprise of no one, Evolve's dedicated servers are shutting down on September 9, 2018. After that, you won't be able to Platinum / 100% it. I just have 7 trophies left on it.

I really should find the Evolve thread. So many things that were said that people probably wish they hadn’t 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm committed to the game if they make it a big ol' RPG like those glorious GBA ones. If not I'll wait as long as I have to for Tennis Story on the e-shop.

There is a story mode, and I'm pretty sure it has RPG elements in it. Of course, the demo only gives you access to the online tournament play stuff and practice matches against the COM. 

For me, though, the RPG is whatever. I just want more sports games on Switch. Arcade, sim, whatever. 

The new character in Slay the Spire is pretty intense and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.  It seems like I either run straight to the top of the tower without much trouble or get absolutely housed about halfway through.

23 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The new character in Slay the Spire is pretty intense and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.  It seems like I either run straight to the top of the tower without much trouble or get absolutely housed about halfway through.

I didn't fool with the beta branch so it was all new to me. The first few runs for me went generally real bad as I wasn't quite grasping it at all. I wasn't really doing either high damage or building enough block. Last 2 runs I won (I am working on his 5th unlock now). Act 2 is kind of rough, but if you live through it Defect can roll act 3 pretty well if you have the right powers. Hologram+ is real good especially if you can combo it with something zero cost (Go For the Eyes and Steam Power are both worth upgrades), or even just with basic defense stuff like Leap. The relic that gives you extra orb slots every 2 turns is hilariously strong if you can keep lightning and frost orbs rolling. Defragment+ is sort of obviously top tier too.

I don't think Dark orbs are nearly as good as their general rarity makes you want to think they are, but I'm still a Defect n00b.

I feel strongest with the Silent but I'm having fun with Defect too. Ironclad can kiss my ass.

It seems like the key is being able to increase your orb slots and stack focus, but there aren't a ton of methods to do that.  Hopefully some of the cards I have yet to unlock will help.

I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of Ironclad, but nothing holds a torch to a poison Silent deck.

I got my code for Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon this past weekend. It's good! It's basically more 8-bit-era 2D Castlevania, which is what I want from Inti Creates. Miriam is a dope-ass character in this game. I dig the OST, too. 

Been putting some time into Fortnite. So much less stressful than PUBG for me. I’ve played 50-ish matches now and genuinely can’t say whether or not I enjoy it.

I’m terrible at the building aspect and the guns don’t feel great, but there’s definitely a reason that it’s the biggest game out there right now. 

Otherwise, I’m in a bit of a rut. I’ve started a few things, but nothing is sticking. I’m just biding my time for GoW, I guess. Bought it, but decided to let my niece play it first. I’m now slightly regretting being a good uncle. Ha!

As the father of a 12yo girl and 11yo boy, I can absolutely testify that one of the reasons that Fortnite is so huge is the stupid little dances you can do. Apparently meme dances are HUGE with young kids right now, and it's strange and confusing but underage pregnancy is constantly dropping so who the fuck am I to judge today's youth? 

• Haha 1

PUBG is so fucking boring. 15 minutes of walking simulator followed by 25 seconds of mediocre FPS play. It has absolutely nothing going for it but the battle royale concept and it's going to sustain itself on "hey, we were the original!" for a few years, but Fortnite is only going to be the first of many games to take the same concept and make a way more interesting game out of it.

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I got my code for Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon this past weekend. It's good! It's basically more 8-bit-era 2D Castlevania, which is what I want from Inti Creates. Miriam is a dope-ass character in this game. I dig the OST, too. 

Thanks for the heads up. I had a code waiting for me that I had missed.

• Like 1

I don't like how on that Bloodstained game if you are up against a two-block high wall you can't just jump and hold forward to get on top of it.  Feels more like a Tecmo or Natsume game.

I honestly thought after ~6 runs through Diablo, 10+ years of Diablo II, 100+ hours in Path of Exile, playing Torchlight, playing Bastion, and over 100+ hours in Grim Dawn that I was kind of done with this style of game out of sheer permanent burnout.

But man, the new Path of Exile league is pretty good shit. The incursion mechanic (although not explained super well in game, which is more of a critique of this era of "explain by FAQ gaming") seems designed specifically to refine all the kinds of heroin players of these games like and just inject it straight into your face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For the record - this is probably my favorite Evolve take

No doubt it's a bust on PC, but on consoles it is doing fairly well.

Enough that the 2K Games president said last week they consider it "a permanent franchise" (which basically means it's getting a sequel).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For the record - this is probably my favorite Evolve take

No doubt it's a bust on PC, but on consoles it is doing fairly well.

Enough that the 2K Games president said last week they consider it "a permanent franchise" (which basically means it's getting a sequel).

Evolve is like Lamar Odom.  I remember my brother in law, who played in college and trains NBA players, said that Lamar Odom was the best basketball player he's ever seen.  I was looking at him like, what about Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Larry Bird, etc?  He said, something to the effect of, all of those dudes are great, but Lamar Odom is 6'10" and can do absolutely everything.  You know what, he's wrong as hell, but also kind of right.  If Lamar Odom played in the current NBA, I think Lamar Odom has a much better career, because the NBA knows what to do with 6'10" players who can do everything.  When Lamar Odom was in the league, the NBA wanted him to fit into a box that restricted a lot of his skills.  Evolve is a game that came out at a time where the developer knew they had something, but didn't really know what to do with it.  Evolve is a great idea, but the execution of the game just wasn't fun.  So, I'm kind of OK with them making a sequel, because we might get the LeBron James or Kevin Durant of videogames...but we also may get Darius Miles or Rashard Lewis.

• Like 1

Man, Rashard Lewis was a quality forward who anchored some solid Sonics teams alongside Ray Lewis. 

You had Sebastian Telfair right there as an example and you go with Rashard Lewis? Maaaaaan, fuck that. 

EDIT: Or Shaun Livingston! I don't care if his knees exploded, he's a way better example. 

I'm heated. 

On 5/26/2018 at 12:38 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

Petition to rename "Detroit: Become Human" to "I Have A Dream of Electric Sheep".

Is it worth getting? Me and my missus enjoyed playing Heavy Rain and making the decisions together for the most part so gameplay (or lack thereof) isn't much of an issue