DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On 5/22/2018 at 6:29 PM, Death From Above said:

I am a giant Alien fanboy so I was well overdue to try Alien Isolation and I have to say... I pretty much fucking hate it. It's SO CLUNKY AND SLOW. Everything feels like you're The Weakest Person, even with other persons. The crafting system arbitrarily limits you in really weird ways. All the maps have that "we are pretending you could go anywhere but there is a Clear Right and Wrong Path" thing going on. Also through the first 4 and a half hours I played, the Alien was on screen for maaaaybe 60 seconds, and half of that is cutscenes. He hasn't killed me once and I've never interacted with it. I should not have to play a game called ALIEN: ISOLATION for more than 4 and a half hours to have an actual interaction with the Alien. So much of the story is revealed through Conveniently Available Personal Logs Laying Around. The environments are just swimming with asset-re-use overload and are full of shit it seems you could interact with but can't. Every other human tries to murder you on sight for No Clear Reason. It feels like a game that was designed for 3rd person field of vision then they changed to first person halfway into development but didn't actually adjust any of the gameplay to go with that. About the only thing it does really well is use the soundtrack to build tension effectively. I'm honestly not sure it does anything else to a passable level.

Boring and frustrating as shit. I tapped out on the fourth mission where you are playing tag with a bunch of murder-androids. I genuinely don't understand the love for this thing at all. I want to be hunted by the Alien in a really good video game but this isn't it.

The developers took more inspiration from games like Outlast and Amnesia when making the game, so there is that. I have it on PS4 and I will inevitably try to Platinum it.

I think I just came to the crushing realization that I’m not going to be able to platinum God of War last night.

As if having to beat all the Valkyries wasn’t enough: farming mist echoes?  NO THANKS.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EVA said:

I think I just came to the crushing realization that I’m not going to be able to platinum God of War last night.

As if having to beat all the Valkyries wasn’t enough: farming mist echoes?  NO THANKS.

I'll do it for you. I will suffer in your stead.

Finished my four-day binge of Celeste's main story.. 125/175 Strawberries, 2343 deaths, 10:29:44 gameplay time. This was made a little easier since I just got through Cotton Alley + most of the Dark World stuff on Super Meat Boy a month ago. It was hindered by THIS being the game my Joycons decided to act up and start drifting/randomly disconnecting.

Phenomenal little game. I might actually attempt to 100% this one, unless my thumbs rupture during the attempt/

A little off-topic, but does anyone have any books on the history or business of gaming that they want to recommend?  I read Blake Russell's Console Wars (on the history of the Sega-Nintendo wars) and liked it quite a bit.  Only other book I've ever read on gaming is David Sheff's Game Over and it's probably been 20 years since I even owned a copy of that.

I'm basically looking for mainstream nonfiction/business journalism on some aspect of the history of the industry, preferably written by someone outside the industry (not a dude who plays Far Cry and hosts a podcast).  I tried browsing Amazon, but didn't see much and it looked like I'd end up looking at 100 pages of strategy guides and art books.

Would you include Significant Zero and Blood, Sweat, and Pixels in that list of stuff you saw on Amazon? They both look a bit interesting to me, but the first one is definitely an insider book (and I'd guess the second is, too). Though not "I have a Twitch feed, therefore you should care about my opinion" insider, more "I helped write Bioshock" insider. 

9 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Would you include Significant Zero and Blood, Sweat, and Pixels in that list of stuff you saw on Amazon? They both look a bit interesting to me, but the first one is definitely an insider book (and I'd guess the second is, too). Though not "I have a Twitch feed, therefore you should care about my opinion" insider, more "I helped write Bioshock" insider. 

Both look sorta interesting to me, but not quite what I'm looking for.  I can imagine reading them down the line a bit but after I reread the David Sheff book I mentioned and a few others on the history of Nintendo and the like.  'Significant Zero' looks  a bit too "insidery" for my tastes.  "Blood, Sweat, and Pixels" looks interesting, but it  also looks narrowly focused and I've never played any of the games covered (and not heard of most of them).

Basically, just looking for something decent to read.  I thought "Console Wars" was very good and I remember loving the Sheff book back in the day.  Kinda looking about for something different to read and team sports and mysteries aren't doing it for me.  I read a lot, but for the past 10-20 years, I've mostly read sports books  about endurance sports and athletes (runners, cyclists, triahletes, open-water swimming, etc.).  Had to give up endurance sports due to a long-term injury that is probably permanent, so I don't really want to read about those sports.  

It's almost 20 years out of date now (the original title The First Quarter was better) but nobody has written a more recent history that is half as good as the Kent book

14 minutes ago, Liam said:

I read 'The Ultimate History of Video Games: From Pong to Pokemon' - worth a read from what I remember.

18 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Not sure were as to put this, but Rest in Peace John Bain, aka TotalBiscut, who passed away from Cancer today.

Yeah I saw that yesterday too. He was way too young. Broke my heart to see that. Also made me think of Ryan Davis, someone else who was way too young and just died out of the blue because of sleep apnea.

I have watched a little bit of it on stream today and it seems like whether you like it or not is 100% down to "do you like the story" because there's next to no actual gameplay beyond that, really. It does look fantastic but I feel like I'd get bored with it.

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my graphics card from a Geforce 780 to a 1080 (hooray gainful employment!). Now my goddamned TV is my biggest bottleneck for quality. And even if the random crashing issue I've been having isn't fixed by the replacement (though it probably is fixed), I have this to carry forward whenever I can drop the next big wad of sweaty money on a new mobo/CPU/memory combo. 

Also, Arkham Knight is HUGE. I'm on hour 2 of downloading it. Woof. They should have advertised it as being bundled with a laundry and book-reading simulator demo. Because I am crushing those.

• Like 1

Got my 109th Platinum trophy with Deformers for PS4. The servers for the game are shutting down in August and the game is terrible. It's from Ready At Dawn (The Order 1886 people) and was sold by Gamestop, who gave it to you for free for being a PowerUp Reward member.

Do not get this game. Let my Platinum be a monument to your sins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's all about PvP, though the megalodon is fucking awesome looking. I have never had as much fun playing an online game than i have with this one. The stories we've created are hilarious. My favourites are us rolling up on another ship and as we come into mic and cannon fire range we hear them speaking in pirate talk. "3, 2, 1 yaaaarrrrr fire!... Oh, God! They're more experienced than we thought!" as the pirate role play is immediately dropped. One of them even said "I offer you my butthole!" to my friend, who responded with "you weren't ready for this dad dick." 

Another was when we saw two ships planning to split a recently defeated raid's loot. My friend gets on the island, walks into the loot stronghold and pretends to be somebody from one of the ships, asks which ship do the spices go on (one of the game's more valuable pieces), and they actually bought it. He returns with it of course to our ship and we eventually sink both ships with just a sloop. It ended with us chasing the other sloop across the map for like 20 minutes and them cursing us out as their ship sinks and we get the most valuable piece of loot. Game is the best.

Now that they're adding in content on a regular basis, there should be more ways to have fun though I would be hard-pressed to believe anything will displace PvP as the crown jewel of the game. 

It's also pretty amazing how it runs on newer lower tier laptops and yet still is beautiful on high end machines. 

• Haha 1