DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Anyone played Typoman? It's on sale on the Switch.

Yes. It has a neat premise, but the word-based platformer puzzles are pretty simple, and the platforming is just fine. I would pay five or six bucks for it again.

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Anyone played Typoman? It's on sale on the Switch.

I watched my wife play through it, it's a pretty cool idea, but it wasn't terribly challenging for her. I think we bought it for like $3-$5, so if it was somewhere in that neighborhood, I would say to go for it.

EDIT - I should read all the way through threads before replying, as now there are two basically identical posts back to back.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

Farsight announced today that they couldn't come to an agreement with the rights-holders for Williams and Bally tables (not Warner, something called Planetary Pinball got the rights from the slot company that bought WMS' non-Midway holdings) and so those Pinball Arcade tables will vanish from stores on 6/30. People who already bought them will be able to re-download, no word on whether it'll be possible to buy Pro upgrades (I asked, haven't heard back), Season 8 will be all Stern and Season 9 forward will focus on Stern and Gottlieb.  This sucks; it may also be why the Switch version was pulled immediately after dropping.

finished Epic Mickey 2 (wii) last night.

i played through the first one last year. part 2 is inferior in every conceivable way. shorter, more linear, easier, completely pointless side quests, and a 2 player mechanic that is clunky and annoying (esp in 1p mode).

i'd recommend skipping this unless you absolutely love the first one. or if you're one of the 6 people who have an affinity for Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

started up the original Spyro game (ps1) shortly later. still pretty easy, but a lot better. camera control can be a hindrance, but that comes with the 1998 territory.

55 minutes ago, twiztor said:

started up the original Spyro game (ps1) shortly later. still pretty easy, but a lot better. camera control can be a hindrance, but that comes with the 1998 territory.

I love the first handful of Spyro games more than anyone has any right to, and I am really hoping that the quasi-horseshit camera system is one of the things they took care of. Like you say, absolutely a product of its time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Farsight announced today that they couldn't come to an agreement with the rights-holders for Williams and Bally tables (not Warner, something called Planetary Pinball got the rights from the slot company that bought WMS' non-Midway holdings) and so those Pinball Arcade tables will vanish from stores on 6/30. People who already bought them will be able to re-download, no word on whether it'll be possible to buy Pro upgrades (I asked, haven't heard back), Season 8 will be all Stern and Season 9 forward will focus on Stern and Gottlieb.  This sucks; it may also be why the Switch version was pulled immediately after dropping.

While on the one hand, I am disappointed, I am hopeful that the rights go to someone who actually knows what they're doing.  Farsight, for years, has been...incompetent...in so many ways that it baffles the mind.  I already have all, or almost all, of the tables I'd want from those two companies, so I'm OK there.  I just need to check and see if I still need to buy Eight Ball Deluxe.  The fact that I don't know should tell you how often I play the game anymore.

I bought the first five seasons on switch on that one day it was out.  Now I'm pissed I won't be able to have Fathom, Doctor Who and Eightball Deluxe portable.

I don't venture over to this section of the board very often; casual gamer at best. The GF and I won an XB1X back when it launched from TACO BELL. I got Gears 4, Forza 7 included. I generally suck at shooting games, but I played through GoW4 (on easy); prob the first game I've completed since the original Jak and Daxter. 

Next was COD: Ghosts and then Advanced Warfare on the 'slightly harder, but still easy' level. I liked Advanced Warfare more than Ghosts. I could see myself replaying, upping the difficulty and looking for more of the easter egg stuff. After those I asked some other friends and found an article ranking the COD games. There seemed to be consensus that COD4 Modern Warfare is/was near the top. Got the Infinite Warfare/ Modern War remastered bundle. Enjoyed Modern, haven't started Infinite yet. 

Currently playing through Wolfenstein New Order. I've got fond memories of the old Wolfenstein 3D on my family's first PC and during 7th grade lunch break. I'm about 3/4th way through. Ultra violent and intense, but I also dig the story as well as all the easter eggs in the game. I think I scare easily, so I tend to prefer to shoot humans or robots/cyborgs opposed to zombies and monsters who tend to come with the survival horror side. I'm not into the Resident Evils or Deadrisings. 

I've also got a soft spot for the Lego games, (almost) mindless fun and almost all look great. GF can play co-op on them too. I picked up some of the older, less expensive ones like Avengers, Indiana Jones, and Force Awakens. I found a $5 copy of the first Star Wars Battlefront. I knew it was a star wars shooter, but didn't realize there's no campaign to play through. Clerk gave me fair warning and I can still play some of the battles and missions on local 2 player mode which is fun. 

I haven't made the jump to online/XB Live Gold. Probably because I just don't consider myself good enough at these shooter games and don't feel like getting killed every 2 seconds. Everything is all Fortnite and PUBG right now, so maybe I'll jump in soon.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, assfax said:

PSX MGS 1 then HD collection for the 2 and 3. Then Ghost Babel. Then don't play 4. 

Metal Gear Solid 4 is not that bad...if you don't mind long, and I mean LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG, cutscenes.  

Some people knock Twin Snakes's MGS2 engine/first person view for making the game too easy,  but a lot of those people weren't playing the game for the first time. There is something special about the old PS1 graphics but it doesn't entirely prepare you for the rest of the series like Twin Snakes would.

Definitely grab the PS3 or PS4 collections if you can - big screen Peace Walker is *such* a wonderful thing - but if you can't, make sure you get the Substance/Subsistence versions of 2 and 3. I have no idea how anybody played 3 without the right stick moving the camera.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Metal Gear Solid 4 is not that bad...if you don't mind long, and I mean LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG, cutscenes.  

I was going to ask if the cutscenes were longer than Xenosaga's.  Then I googled the game and discovered MGS 4 holds some sort of official Guinness-recognized world record for longest cutscene(s).  Lol.

3 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I was going to ask if the cutscenes were longer than Xenosaga's.  Then I googled the game and discovered MGS 4 holds some sort of official Guinness-recognized world record for longest cutscene(s).  Lol.

None are over 30 minutes, but there is a sequence of cutscenes that combines to over an hour.  For me it was excessive, but I think Metal Gear Solid always leans towards excessive so it fit.

MG2 is beyond great and MG is a-ok with a guide, but it is a little easier to love them if you've worked through a good deal of the MGS games.

It was mentioned previously but Ghost Babel is spot-on. Avoid PoOps.  The AC!D games are your call.

Got my 107th & 108th Platinums this morning with the UK/European version of Sound Shapes and Slyde. I just cloud sync'ed my save for Sound Shapes and Slyde is a terrible sliding puzzle game where if you follow some instructions online for a puzzle, it'll unlock in less than a minute. Yay (?).

• Like 1

Honestly, there's an HD collection for PS3 that has a Download code for MGS for PSX, then Disc 1 has MGS2, MGS3 Substinence edition which has the MSX games (and the better camera), and Peace Walker, then Disc 2 is MGS4.  

You want to play them in Release order rather than chronological, because going from 3 to any others than 4 is pretty jarring.

• Like 1

Pinball arcade is back on switch.  They fixed 99 percent of the slowdown on Funhouse and Cirqus Voltaire.  It still chugs on when it zooms on the toys but not during active gameplay.  Took out all the Bally Williams challenge modes that I never play.  Made new table packs that require me to rebuy tables.  I want Centigrade and Jacks Open but already have the other tables.  The Alvin G pack is the only one that seems worth getting.  All the stern pinball arcade games are in this now but I've already got the cartridge version. 

I would've been beyond pissed if I didn't get in on this shit back on April 6th.