DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Wow, so that game hasn't changed at all in the last 3 or 4 years. I remember thinking the same thing as you. When Destiny 1 came out I thought I'd give Warframe a shot. Those menus then were pretty fucked and yes, NOTHING is explained. I gave up after a few tries with playing it.

I don't get how anyone plays that thing longer than a couple hours, but maybe if you stick with it you can figure it out. I bet those people would fucking love EVE Online.

The actual gameplay seems fine, there's a lot of (sort of explained) movement tech you can do that makes you a cross of Zer0 from Borderlands and Neo from the Matrix, and I can see why people get pretty into that. The gameplay itself feels pretty smooth for a free to play game, really. The first time they dump you in that "mod your warframe" menu is just fucking terrible though, took me quite a while to figure out how to use it. Judging by achievement percentages it definitely costs them a fair % of casual play attempts.

I have zero interest in getting in too deep to a game where I am just grinding to get to the next grind, but it's the kind of thing I can see myself firing up now and again when I just want some mindless space violence.

Who would ever accuse you of being a normal person? :)

Also, every wrestling fan is probably thinking about clubbering someone with the plundah!!!! when they play that game.

• Like 1

The only Yakuza game I ever tried was 2 and I was pretty 'meh' on it until I backdrop drivered some poor asshole into a park bench.  Now that there are actual wrestlers in it I might have to try a new one.

I'd like to play a newish (last 5 years) Sierra/LucasArts style Point and Click Adventure game that I haven't played before. The tech can be better. It can even be 3D if it has to be. I'd like for it to have a bunch of witty dialogue and inventory based puzzles. I'm not looking for the Telltale style which, to me, feels more like an interactive story with minor time-based clicking, dialogue and a small number of inventory puzzles. 

Do people still make these things? Are any good?

51 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'd like to play a newish (last 5 years) Sierra/LucasArts style Point and Click Adventure game that I haven't played before. The tech can be better. It can even be 3D if it has to be. I'd like for it to have a bunch of witty dialogue and inventory based puzzles. I'm not looking for the Telltale style which, to me, feels more like an interactive story with minor time-based clicking, dialogue and a small number of inventory puzzles. 

It seems like Burly Men at Sea is that. I still haven't gotten it yet though.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Try Broken Age.

• Like 1

Started playing my Gamecube heavily.  Never owned a Gamecube or paid any attention to it when it was current gen.  Didn't even realize there were new Zelda, Metroid, Mario, and DK games until on it until a few months ago.  KInda digging it.  Has a lot of bright, colorful fun games.  I don't feel like the catalog is that deep, but there's quite a few games I either love or am eager to try.

Currently playing Jungle Beat (DK).  It's a lot of fun, but I can't figure out if the bongo controller is a work of genius or evidence someone at Nintendo secretly hates game players. Made the mistake of trying to play with the wife in the room.  Won't be doing that again.

• Haha 1

The verdict is in on the Switch version of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

It's (still, I guess) really fucking good. Also, it might have the best OST since the Mario Galaxy games. 

It seems like the Yakuza devs love pro wrestling, understand it, and could make an awesome wrestling game. Have they ever talked about doing something like that?

12 minutes ago, assfax said:

They are comprised of developers from the Giant Gram series.  I also just made that up.  Sounded real though.

Haven't mentioned lately that Giant Gram 2000 is still my all time favorite wrestling game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

It seems like the Yakuza devs love pro wrestling, understand it, and could make an awesome wrestling game. Have they ever talked about doing something like that?

I'd say not knowing the difference between a stunner and a diamond cutter automatically disqualifies them from this.

Like, even Acclaim knew that

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Haven't mentioned lately that Giant Gram 2000 is still my all time favorite wrestling game. 

GG 2000 is the one wrestling game I never played. 

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

GG 2000 is the one wrestling game I never played. 

My two favorite things

1.starting as a young boy with no moves and slowly getting better and aquiring moves

2. Historical recreation of matches. 

On 5/5/2018 at 4:18 AM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Currently playing Jungle Beat (DK).  It's a lot of fun, but I can't figure out if the bongo controller is a work of genius or evidence someone at Nintendo secretly hates game players. Made the mistake of trying to play with the wife in the room.  Won't be doing that again.

Frantically pounding on bongos to fury-smack a giant ape around on screen is the kind of gratification I dream of whenever I'm button mashing for a torture attack in Bayonetta. I've no interest in the New Play Control version.

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

My two favorite things

1.starting as a young boy with no moves and slowly getting better and aquiring moves

2. Historical recreation of matches. 

makes me want to hook up the dreamcast. I had bought a dreamcast with both Giant Glam games, the njpw game, a firepro game, and a WWF game. I only played GG 2000, and the NJPW and they are both great.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:18 PM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

this is one of those games i've been trying to talk myself into/out of for the last few years. still undecided. will definitely get the bongos if/when i pick it up.

5 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Wondering if I should jump on DK: Tropical Freeze now or hold off for Hyrule Warriors. They're gonna get my Wii U Rehash Money, but not twice in a month.

I played and beat them both on the Wii-U. Both of them are lots of fun, i guess it just boils down to which kind of game you want to play. DKC is a platformer, Hyrule Warriors is a hack-and-slash type.  i sunk more hours into HW, but i think DKC was the more rewarding of the two.