DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Not really feeling Falke in SF5. I appreciate them trying to do something really different with an SF char, but she isn't working for me. Not terribly surprising since Ed didn't work for me either. I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel very different though, I'm just old and set in my ways.

5 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

UHH

OKAY SO I GOT TO THE POINT IN GOD OF WAR WHERE IT ACTUALLY OPENS UP

AND LIKE

EITHER THIS GAME IS CARTOONISHLY HUGE OR THE GREATEST BALL AND CUP TRICK EVER PULLED

I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED

I think its a little bit of both.  The game is massive, but you never really have access to all of it at one time.  It is as big as a very large open world game while still being pretty linear and guiding you from place to place through the narrative.  

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Anyone played Burly Men at Sea or Jotun yet? 

I have both because I have no self-control. I'll let you know when I begin the Platinum hunt on them.

EDIT: I don't really get the criticism on God of War other than the gameplay is slightly unbalanced. What seems to happen on here is people hate on Sony first party games for whatever reason (TLOU now the new God of War) when a lot of other people look past it and have no problems with it.

So, those Yakuza games? I've never played one but 0 and 1 are pretty cheap on the PS store here in the UK at the moment. I'm tempted. £19 for 0 and £10 for the first game i think. So dumb question, should i start with the first game or play the prequel first? Does playing Yakuza Zero ruin anything that might be in the first game?

The Final Update:

GOD OF WAR 2018 [3]
A pretty impressive ball and cup trick. Here is a concise list of games I would recommend before God of War.

1. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  2. God Hand
  3. Mother 3
  4. Bayonetta 2
  5. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  6. Gone Home while on an exercise bike
  7. Mother 3 two times

If you've beaten all of these, then yeah you'd probably enjoy God of War for a little bit. Otherwise maybe don't.

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2018 at 10:03 PM, Michael Sweetser said:

I've nearly beaten the storyline on Yakuza 6, and honestly, I thought Yakuza 0 was better, but it might just be because 0 was my first Yakuza game.   But 6 is still really, really good.

0 is a lot better because it has so much more content, but Yakuza 6 is fucking great.  Onomichiokun is the greatest video game character of all time.

Then I gave the motherfuckers the ushigoroshi

GOTY

• Like 1

There's a mission where you dress up as a mascot.  You have to do a lot of hilarious shit and then you have to fuck up some motherfuckers.

When you upgrade the movesets one of the moves that you do when a ton of people are coming at you is the ushigoroshi.

Which is really fucked up because you can literally do the move on Tenzan in the game, who gave the move its name when he was legit injured by it

You can also get a clan creator code to unlock Onomichi as a fighter - he has a fantastic healing power.  He stayed in my strike team for the remainder of the game.

Clan creator is fun just for the NJPW guys - but if you can get some of the guys with Muscle Party like Date, it's almost too easy.  Healing + two guys with 10-sec invulnerability for everyone = wiping the floor with everyone from Okada on down.

I love that not only do the NJPW guys do their big moves (I got lariated by Kojima more times than I could count, and the Tenzan Tombstone was ugly, as was the Destino and Rainmaker) but Okada's theme actually plays during his fight.  So awesome.

I haven't even scratched the surface on any of the mini games besides clan creator.  Apparently there's a freaking' BASEBALL MANAGEMENT MINIGAME that I haven't even seen a hint of yet.  Not to mention all the cats I have to grab.

The story is layers upon layers going into the end of it, and I did not see at least half of the twists coming.  The only one that bothered me was buying back the killing of Kiyomi near the end - it felt cheap to bring her back (blanks at that distance are still fatal) and added nothing to the story; I thought the story had more gravitas and meaning with her initial death.  But holy shit was that last fight setup fucking awesome.

Sadly I didn't use OnomichioKun because Tanahashi has a pretty great healing power that also resurrects dead members (you still have to resummon them).

Eventually I got to the Amon (that's what they call this house) fights and my team wasn't cutting it so I got some of the DLC dudes and HOLY SHIT THEY'RE POWERFUL.  You still lose to the Amon higher level 10 star battles until you level up but Daigo Dojima has an ability that adds like 150 or so summon points to your bar so you can basically summon all your heavy hitter boss dudes at once.  I just wanted Majima because the one you get with the code sucks and Majima is the best character in these games, but I went crazy and bought everyone.

I like most of the twists so far in the story, but I called the baby daddy just by everyone else being too ugly to get all up in them guts

I tried out Warframe on a whim. It seems not shit for a free-to-play game. Hardest thing in it by far is the Menu Boss, which is way harder than the actual game content. Game has a lot of stuff it doesn't really bother to explain. Other than that it's fine if you're looking for some grim horse shit (copyright Broken Lamp) in space.

• Haha 3

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

I had to take a break from Bloodborne as it's busting my balls fierce.

So I went to Best Buy and picked up Everybody's Golf since it's on sale this week.

Loving it so far.

I have been a Hot Shots Golf guy since the PS1, I fucking love them all so much. This newest version is just fantastic.

4 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Super Mega Baseball 2 is just the Co-ed Fantasy Baseball game I never knew I needed.

It was released today and it's FREE on Xbox Live.

I D/L'ed it this morning and have been having a blast.

I haven't copped the sequel yet, but I have owned the original for like 3 years now, and still play it quite a bit, to the point where MLB The Show gets ignored so I can play Super Mega. Really excellent arcade baseball game. I have read that the sequel is a bit more true to life, but I have absolute faith that I will love it just as much.

Beat NieR, Majora's Mask, Yakuza 1 (not Kiwami) and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance last month. On the docket for May:

Definitely - Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. Shit is my perfect exercise machine zone-out game.

Started - Brutal Legend (enjoying it, but I'm fearing the supposedly clunky RTS segments), Pikmin (Wii version, something I've been meaning to beat forever), Shenmue II (oh man i don't know why i do this shit to myself HOW ABOUT A GAME OF LUCKY HIT)

Unplayed - The World Ends With You (Making it a priority to beef up my DS library but I worry this one might be TOO good) 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand (co-op with girlfriend, duh)

Picking Away At- Dragon Quest Builders (I like the DQ part, it's the building that's rough), DOOM (if I ever get to use the fucking Switch)

5 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Super Mega Baseball 2 is just the Co-ed Fantasy Baseball game I never knew I needed.

It was released today and it's FREE on Xbox Live.

I D/L'ed it this morning and have been having a blast.

Yup, this game is a solid iteration on an all-time great arcade sports game, in the pantheon with TSB, Punch-Out!!, NBA Jam, etc. Maybe just a level below those in terms of balancing simplicity with fun, on par with something like SEGA Soccer Slam.

Arcade sports in general is a subgenre that deserves more love. 

This month's PS Now adds lean heavy on PS2 ports. I already had Ape Escape 2 and Metal Slug 3, which means Dark Cloud 2 is the only real interesting one to me.  Once again, that service is worth every penny if you pick it up during the holidays when they do $99 annual subs, but a total joke at the monthly rate.

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I tried out Warframe on a whim. It seems not shit for a free-to-play game. Hardest thing in it by far is the Menu Boss, which is way harder than the actual game content. Game has a lot of stuff it doesn't really bother to explain. Other than that it's fine if you're looking for some grim horse shit (copyright Broken Lamp) in space.

Wow, so that game hasn't changed at all in the last 3 or 4 years. I remember thinking the same thing as you. When Destiny 1 came out I thought I'd give Warframe a shot. Those menus then were pretty fucked and yes, NOTHING is explained. I gave up after a few tries with playing it.

I don't get how anyone plays that thing longer than a couple hours, but maybe if you stick with it you can figure it out. I bet those people would fucking love EVE Online.