DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It really was an amazing score. Like, one of those "wow the SNES can sound like THAT?" moments.

Actraiser was the game that convinced me to hook my SNES to my stereo. It was incredible. Amazing game, too. And, yeah, we need a new one. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

And to clarify, it needs to be like the first one, not the sequel that dropped all the simulation being God parts.

That goes without saying. 

On 4/22/2018 at 1:19 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, I'm out on God of War. It's an actively bad game with a dopey attempt at a parent-child relationship that just suuuuucks and has none of the nuance or tenderness of something like Lee and Clementine in The Walking Dead, and it's not fun to play as you fight a bunch of bland enemies with super-long health bars with your two-moves-and-a-rune offense while the annoying little kid yells in the background about the eight enemies creeping up behind you that you can't pay attention to because you're busy juggling two enemies for five minutes to whittle down their health bars. It's not worth hanging around anymore to see if it gets better, something that I increasingly doubt. Awful game, and I'm not sure where the consensus that it's a GotY contender among the game reviewers comes from. It's pretty, I guess. But yeah, it's a total swing-and-a-miss of a game, one of the worst that I've had the displeasure to play in awhile. 

I just got to where you meet Brok's brother, and I believe the game is supposed to start opening up around here. I'm enjoying what I've played thus far, and my biggest gripe is that I'm tired of every modern game thinking it needs crafting, inventory management and complex upgrade trees. I want to be immersed in the world, not worried about "did I choose the right stat upgrade?"

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Chaos said:

I just got to where you meet Brok's brother, and I believe the game is supposed to start opening up around here. I'm enjoying what I've played thus far, and my biggest gripe is that I'm tired of every modern game thinking it needs crafting, inventory management and complex upgrade trees. I want to be immersed in the world, not worried about "did I choose the right stat upgrade?"

Seriously, nothing takes you out of a game than having to micromanage shit right when you are getting into it.

That's not to say those things should never be used, I mean inventory and crafting is such a huge part of Fallout for instance.

Literally every God of War game has had effort-gating "get loot pinata resource to upgrade your bullshit punch magic", have you people even played GOW before?

It now takes less time to analyze and upgrade your whole inventory than it used to take to watch that bullshit red juice meter tick down just to upgrade one thing.

thanks to the internet I no longer trust anything that anyone is saying about god of war, and will be starting it on thursday courtesy of my friend's gamefly account.

I took a licensed handheld system apart and touched some things, and here is a list of games I have been playing in bed that may or may not be related to that first thing I talked about doing.
Fatal Labyrinth (super badass genesis roguelike)
Puyo Puyo (I like puzzle games hella much)
Mother 3 (just wanted to see if this worked, will probably do this in the fall)
Dragon Quest 3 (last game in the series I have left to play)
Final Fire Pro Management of Ring (goddamnit I will make Michinoku Pro the biggest promotion of the world even if it kills me)

Have a kinda unusual question.  I'm putting together a spreadsheet of various systems and all the games I own or want to buy/play for each system.  Basically, I'm old and will never remember all of this on my own.  Anyway, being an accountant, I'm a little OCD about including all relevant information.  So my question is, is it worth the effort keeping track of writers/directors (producers?) for various games?  I mean, do they have a lot of influence over the final product that it would be worthwhile keeping track of who directed, say, Radiata Stories and tracking down the other games the guy directed?  Or, at the end of the day, is it such a team effort that it's not worth the effort to follow certain creators?

Thanks.

In the game industry it's weird because like, It Doesn't Matter Til It Does. Neil Druckmann contributed seriously to Generations Lost. I love that game, but that is 100% not the game you recognize from him. And on the flipside, Yoshio Sakamoto has been the producer on a lot of games that I love, like WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven. He also created Metroid! He also very loudly demanded that Metroid Other M be How It Is, so, if I saw he was directing a new Metroid, I'd run screaming in the other direction. It's tough to say.

I do think that the advent of indie stuff has made that way more important of a kept record than it was before. Otherwise you'd miss that one of the key creatives behind Super Meat Boy is not involved in the upcoming sequel that looks sketchy as heck.

8 hours ago, turk128 said:

Seriously, nothing takes you out of a game than having to micromanage shit right when you are getting into it.

That's not to say those things should never be used, I mean inventory and crafting is such a huge part of Fallout for instance.

Yeah, I'm not saying I don't want it in games. I just don't want it in any games.

7 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Literally every God of War game has had effort-gating "get loot pinata resource to upgrade your bullshit punch magic", have you people even played GOW before?

It now takes less time to analyze and upgrade your whole inventory than it used to take to watch that bullshit red juice meter tick down just to upgrade one thing.

Past God of War Games were basically just an upgrade tree for more abilities for your blades of chaos (admittedly it's been a long time since I've played one). The inventory management stuff is new to this game. Is it super layered like it is in a more robust RPG, no, but it's still there, and it seems like pretty much every big open world game of late has had it.

On 4/22/2018 at 2:19 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, I'm out on God of War. It's an actively bad game with a dopey attempt at a parent-child relationship that just suuuuucks and has none of the nuance or tenderness of something like Lee and Clementine in The Walking Dead, and it's not fun to play as you fight a bunch of bland enemies with super-long health bars with your two-moves-and-a-rune offense while the annoying little kid yells in the background about the eight enemies creeping up behind you that you can't pay attention to because you're busy juggling two enemies for five minutes to whittle down their health bars. It's not worth hanging around anymore to see if it gets better, something that I increasingly doubt. Awful game, and I'm not sure where the consensus that it's a GotY contender among the game reviewers comes from. It's pretty, I guess. But yeah, it's a total swing-and-a-miss of a game, one of the worst that I've had the displeasure to play in awhile. 

Thank goodness for GCU at Best Buy, as I will trade this in for pretty much what I paid for it and then just use that money on DKC Tropical Freeze next month. 

I honestly couldn't disagree with this more.  Did you really expect Kratos to be a kind, caring parent, especially in the early parts of a 25+ hour game?  I'm pretty deep into the game and the relationship is progressing in a way that makes sense and feels genuine to a character like Kratos.  How far are you into the game?  My experience with the combat system is pretty good.  It is simple on the surface, but I've found that it is much deeper as the enemies become more difficult.  Eventually the timing of the blocks, rolls, light attacks, heavy attacks, axe attacks, unarmed attacks, ranged attacks and support from Atreaus all matter, but never feels unintuitive.  I got to a part where I was fighting enemies that can explode when you hit them with basic melee attacks.  It took me 3 deaths to figure out how to keep my distance, time my attacks and dispatch them quickly and easily.  Then the very next room there were a whole different group of enemies with other skills that made you figure out a entirely different strategy.  The best part is that the battles move at a lightning quick pace, and can be brutally difficult, but never to the point where I ever felt like I couldn't win.  If you are just smashing buttons to kill enemies, I'm sure it can get frustrating, but if you use all of the resources you have available nothing other than bosses should take more than a combo or two once you figure out how to kill them.  The challenge comes from numbers, and the combination of different enemy types.  I don't think this is Horizon Zero Dawn good, but this game has been super fun for me so far, and I played a good long while over the weekend.

• Thanks 1

I expect them not to bother with giving Kratos a child to bond with, I guess. 

Anyway, I admit to stopping after about five or six hours, just like I stop about fifty pages into a book if I'm not feeling it. If I had unlimited time, I might give it more time, but I don't, so...

• Like 1

Kratos actually trying to parent a child - instead of chucking him into a volcano or monster's mouth or whatever - is a weird character beat.

Giving up Star Ocean for now.  Don't hate the twist, but keep thinking of better games I could be playing.  Star Ocean is on my short list of games to finish before year's end.  

Debating whether to dive into another Square Enix game or..... pick up one of the old Zelda games.  Realized tonight that, not only have I never finished one of the Zelda games, I don't currently own any of the Zelda games.  Heading to the retro games store tomorrow to rectify this.  They almost always have a couple copies of Ocarina of Time around.  Hoping to pick up Ocarina, Majora's Mask, and the Gamecube games tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Kratos actually trying to parent a child - instead of chucking him into a volcano or monster's mouth or whatever - is a weird character beat.

i mean, no

kratos is a family man

the thing that inspires him to kill the Entire Pantheon Of Greek Gods One By One is that Ares tricked him into killing his own family for a laugh

he's pale because he's smeared the ashes of his family onto himself and will not let them go

Anyways, I put my first three hours into the game tonight, and I'm finding it mechanically proficient, tonally unpleasant, and owner of some of the worst UI this side of the Mordor games. It cannot decide if it wants to be a Platinum game or a Last Of Us-alike. I would definitely prefer a Platinum game. I will post a second opinion once i either Finish it, or decide I am Finished.

I don't think the ashes were his choice. They were a curse from that witch I don't remember the name of in the first game. But after that he was motivated by Athena lying to him about being able to erase the memory of his family's death and that probably sent him even further into his deep need for therapy.

I got Swords of Ditto and I'm digging it so far.  It's Rogue Legacy meets Legend of Zelda with an adorable hand-drawn art style.  My only real beef with it so far is that it's slow.  Like, the main character walks really slowly and getting through dialogue takes forever.  A game that's based on iteration like this really needs to be a little peppier to aboid feeling like a slog.

11 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Debating whether to dive into another Square Enix game or..... pick up one of the old Zelda games.  Realized tonight that, not only have I never finished one of the Zelda games, I don't currently own any of the Zelda games.  Heading to the retro games store tomorrow to rectify this.  They almost always have a couple copies of Ocarina of Time around.  Hoping to pick up Ocarina, Majora's Mask, and the Gamecube games tomorrow.

I'll always recommend Link to the Past, but that's because I'm set as SNES being my favorite console of all time and LttP is probably the overall easiest to get into (Has more guide stuff but not outright hand holding than OG, not as fucking huge as Ocarina).  My affinity for LttP Rando has nothing to do with my pimping LttP.

I will move to the other thread soon enough but I wanted to say that I started Breath of the Wild and Zelda is already bitching at me that I am not going to the waypoint and I am fucking around collecting shrooms and apples

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I will move to the other thread soon enough but I wanted to say that I started Breath of the Wild and Zelda is already bitching at me that I am not going to the waypoint and I am fucking around collecting shrooms and apples

Don't expect that to continue. In fact, I don't even remember that ever happening. The game is 99% hunt and gather. My gameplay sessions usually start with me hunting for prime meat, gourmet meat, apples, mushrooms, and radishes until I stumble on a quest, a memory, a shrine, or a temple. It's kind of a, "oh hey, I wasn't trying to get to this point, but now that I'm here, why not" type of thing.

BTW, don't use any of your prime meat or gourmet meat for yourself. Turn 5 prime or gourmet meat into skewers, sell those for tons of rupees, and cook 4 apples and 1 radish into health regen meals.