DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Got an off-the-wall question.  Been thinking of buying a PS4.  Mostly for Fire Pro World and newish Final Fantasy games (haven't played past XII).  Do PS4 games - particularly JRPG's - give you the option to select audio and subtitles separately?  What I mean is, can you play through, say, the FF X/X-2 remaster with Japanese audio and English subtitles and menus?  I dig the PSX/PS2 rpg catalog and they usually force you to pick one language option for both audio and subtitles/menus.

Oddly, I find that I enjoy playing RPGs with Japanese audio and English subtitles/menu.  My Japanese is very basic, so some English is usually a must to master menus and comprehend the story.  Not sure why I enjoy RPG's with Japanese audio.  I don't particularly like subtitled movies and animes that aren't dubbed are usually a non-starter for me.

Yeah, thankfully the majority of the JRPG translators have realized that many people like to have the original Japanese voices.    I honestly can't remember the last translated game that doesn't give you the option for Japanese voices (whether built in or through a download pack).

I loved the original Ghost Recon for Xbox, so when Microsoft had a sale a couple of weeks back I downloaded Ghost Recon Wildlands. It's a mad fun game, once I figured out how to play. That was my main problem, after the first mission, I was left to my own devices and I had no fucking clue what to do. I only figured things out thanks to watching a YouTube tutorial. 

New God of war is Sid Haig by way of Angus Scrim with the zelda boomerang by way of all the new videogame bullshit like nebulous upgrades and slow walking "low caves" loading zones and the kid is a scanning visor and gradius missles.  The camera DOES suck.  And it ain't that progressive.  There'll be switches you can't hit 'til you lower some pungi sticks.  BUT if this was nintendo you'd be able to angle that shit and catch it on the return.  The kid is there becuase they ran into the Judge Dredd problem where you can't have your super badass slowing down to do all your bullshit exposition you're trying to cram in.  You also have to have naughty dog style "give me a boost"  bullshit even though Kratos can leap fifty meters and cleave stone.  Ye got yer regular wimp mooks, teleporting annoyances, big giants and suicide bombers and medusa heads floatin' around.   Apparently midgard is actually Kentucky.

assfax is fantastic, but also there is no way that he'd ever be able to co-exist with Jeff Gerstmann. Plus, they're almost all video and audio.

Kotaku, on the other hand, is basically Jason Schreier and then a bunch of garbage. They could use dude/ette. Or Polygon, which is pretty much what Kotaku would be if Jason Schreier didn't work there. 

Has anyone played Hitman season one on the disk for the PS4? I noticed in a review that you had to be online to play it, then in other sites where you didn't, so I was wondering what the deal was. I don't want to invest in something I have to be online all the time for because I play offline games and have fair, but not great internet. Thanks. . . .

Been playing Star Ocean: Till the End of Time on my PS2.  I know the game has been out for almost 15 years, but I somehow had never heard about the plot twist until it happened.

Spoiler

At one point, your characters find a way to step outside of their universe, at which point they learn that their reality is basically just a video game.

Maybe they'll come up with a way to sell it to me, but, at the moment, I hate the idea so much I'm not sure I'll finish the game.  So random.

Was really digging the game up to that point.

Yeah, I'm out on God of War. It's an actively bad game with a dopey attempt at a parent-child relationship that just suuuuucks and has none of the nuance or tenderness of something like Lee and Clementine in The Walking Dead, and it's not fun to play as you fight a bunch of bland enemies with super-long health bars with your two-moves-and-a-rune offense while the annoying little kid yells in the background about the eight enemies creeping up behind you that you can't pay attention to because you're busy juggling two enemies for five minutes to whittle down their health bars. It's not worth hanging around anymore to see if it gets better, something that I increasingly doubt. Awful game, and I'm not sure where the consensus that it's a GotY contender among the game reviewers comes from. It's pretty, I guess. But yeah, it's a total swing-and-a-miss of a game, one of the worst that I've had the displeasure to play in awhile. 

Thank goodness for GCU at Best Buy, as I will trade this in for pretty much what I paid for it and then just use that money on DKC Tropical Freeze next month. 

2 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Been playing Star Ocean: Till the End of Time on my PS2.  I know the game has been out for almost 15 years, but I somehow had never heard about the plot twist until it happened.

Hide contents

At one point, your characters find a way to step outside of their universe, at which point they learn that their reality is basically just a video game.

Maybe they'll come up with a way to sell it to me, but, at the moment, I hate the idea so much I'm not sure I'll finish the game.  So random.

I know I've mentioned that twist taking me out of game on here at least a few times on here over the years. I don't think I've touched the game in over a decade since then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ugh, that game. I hated almost all of the characters, that plot twist, and it's just sooo fucking long. 

18 hours ago, turk128 said:

Campo Santo confirmed that it is happening.

Value is not absorbing the team - it will stay on its own - but it will relocate to Seattle

From what I understand, ActRaiser was made by the guy who made the first three Ys games. I only know this because I downloaded Ys: Books 1 & 2 for the Turbo Grafx-CD when the Wii Shop closed down. They're fabulous. Play them. Anyways. He started his own company, Quintet, which made Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terrinigma (again, fabulous), helped develop Shenmue, and then totally fucked off out of existence. I can't find a single credit involving the guy since he did work for the script of a 2004 Inuyasha game.

41 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

From what I understand, ActRaiser was made by the guy who made the first three Ys games. I only know this because I downloaded Ys: Books 1 & 2 for the Turbo Grafx-CD when the Wii Shop closed down. They're fabulous. Play them. Anyways. He started his own company, Quintet, which made Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terrinigma (again, fabulous), helped develop Shenmue, and then totally fucked off out of existence. I can't find a single credit involving the guy since he did work for the script of a 2004 Inuyasha game.

Fascinating. 

But even if he's not involved, how is God Of War meets Sim City not a slam dunk idea?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Fascinating. 

But even if he's not involved, how is God Of War meets Sim City not a slam dunk idea?

The rights to the game are possibly owned by SquareEnix. But ActRaiser ain't shit without chiptune composing deity Yuzo Koshiro. The dude who did Streets of Rage, man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuzo_Koshiro

It looks like he's been working with every OTHER major Japanese developer but he does have a credit on the Secret of Mana remake?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

With the new God of War out and getting great reviews, I again ask: how the fuck do we not have a modem Act Raiser?

I'm curious... what has GoW to do with Actraiser?

I would love to see Actraiser brought back with the exploration mode turn into a Metroidvania.