DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Put a few hours into Far Cry 5. Strong starter, but the narrative fizzles almost immediately. In part, it’s the curse of an open world. Sure, I’ll get to that cult thing...5 hours from now, after I explore. And do that other thing that leads to that other thing. Oh, shit, now I’m being mauled by a bear. What was I doing again?

It definitely feels like they backed off of really saying anything, too. The gameplay loop is still booking me. I was ready for another Far Cry, so I can’t say that I’m not having a blast, because I am. Could have been more, though. 

Grim Dawn is a lot of fun. However, it will also cheerfully kick your ass over and over again.

Got a Commando (Demolitionist/Soldier) through the base story with as much luck and spamming heal pots as any real skill. That showed up to bite me in the ass when I started the "Ashes of Malmouth" expansion. Then even trying to go back and clean up some bounties got frustrating, because my toon was level 46/47 and everything seemed to scale up to 50+, even quests that I had picked up 10 levels before. So I finally said fuck it and started a couple of new toons. One is a melee Shaman/Arcanist (Druid), and one is a ranged Inquisitor/Demolitionist (Purifier). Not sure which I prefer yet. 

• Like 1

I decided to fire up my PS3 for the first time in what turned out to be 3 years (boy was it angry with me with all the updates it had to do)

Trying to knock out whichever fucking Ratchet & Clank game this is in my system. So far behind...

My current feeling on Far Cry - Fuck that wing suit, and double fuck Trot Nixon, or whatever that stuntman guy's name is.  10 tries on his challenge, and I didn't make it to the first checkpoint without dying.  Best part is I can't figure out give up on it.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I decided to fire up my PS3 for the first time in what turned out to be 3 years (boy was it angry with me with all the updates it had to do)

Trying to knock out whichever fucking Ratchet & Clank game this is in my system. So far behind...

This is kinda what keeps me from buying a PS3 and/or 4.  I don't have much interest in playing online, so I don't have a lot of interest in tying a video game system to my wireless network.  It's not an issue - I have a fast internet connection and a wireless network is already set up in the house.  I just don't feel like fooling with it.  Also, connecting consoles to the wireless network has led to the "Just release the game and fix it later with patches" mentality, which I already hate.  Plenty of 5th and sixth generation games I have yet to play or want to replay

Also: 

Spoiler

I've pretty much modded every console I've ever owned which would cause me problems sooner or later with a current gen system.  I'm not exactly a software pirate.  I don't recall ever downloading a game I didn't own.  But I do like playing imports and fan-modded games.  Played Fire Pro R with IamJoe's English patch.  Currently playing Final Fantasy XII International with the English patch.  Have a good-sized collection of Japanese and European games which were never released in the US (Wanting to play though Syberia II soon.  Why was that only released in Europe?), etc.

I don't mind Sony or whoever giving me grief if I'm too cheap to actually pay for Far Cry 5.  But I'm probably not wanting to give up on imports and English translation patches to keep Sony and Microsoft happy.  And, honestly, I much prefer owning a physical copy of - say, Final Fantasy X - to downloading it from the PSNetwork. 

I just need someone to let me sign in on their PS3 so that I can transfer Def Jam: Fight For New York: The Takeover onto my Vita. I bought that shit months ago and I'd like to not have to pull out my OG Xbox to play through it again like I did about a year ago.

Also, I confirmed that Def Jam: Fight For New York is still the best fighting game of all time about a year ago. 

21 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The thing is, I just can't imagine playing a Far Cry game for narrative. I would play it so I can make shit explode and watch a bear maul people.

This is me.  I loved Far Cry 4, but I only did mission to unlock areas with crazier animals to try to hunt on a 4-wheeler.  

I haven't played a turn-based RPG in quite a while but Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition is 70% off on Steam this weekend so fuck it, I guess I will try that now. I can tell right away I am totally gonna use a walkthrough on the puzzles but whatever I have put in a hundred thousand gaming hours I am entitled to bitch out on those by now.

• Like 1

After taking two years off from The Show, I impulse bought this years new edition. Man, this game has been improved tenfold. There’s so much cool shit in it (rain delays!). I was afraid it’d take me a while to get back into the swing of things, but no. I wrote down my old control settings and set that up.

Luckily this time around, after checking the Operation Sports forums, the custom rosters that are always uploaded in their community were ready to go. Usually you’d have to wait until mid-May for proper ones. 

So yeah, got my franchise going pretty good. A nice 14-5 start for the Phils. 

I am stupid and bought myself Far Cry 5 for my birthday.  I'm a few hours in and it is certainly more Far Cry.  You can get animal friends, so obviously I love it, but it also feels like I've done this before in more interesting places.

13 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Grim Dawn is a lot of fun. However, it will also cheerfully kick your ass over and over again.

Got a Commando (Demolitionist/Soldier) through the base story with as much luck and spamming heal pots as any real skill. That showed up to bite me in the ass when I started the "Ashes of Malmouth" expansion. Then even trying to go back and clean up some bounties got frustrating, because my toon was level 46/47 and everything seemed to scale up to 50+, even quests that I had picked up 10 levels before. So I finally said fuck it and started a couple of new toons. One is a melee Shaman/Arcanist (Druid), and one is a ranged Inquisitor/Demolitionist (Purifier). Not sure which I prefer yet. 

I had a lot of fun with my fire strike Purifier just exploding everything with double pistols.

• Like 1

RAINBOW SIX SIEGE UPDATE
My crew has won seven straight matches. I have turned into a clutch member of our team, able to do real fucked up things on defense to fuck with people's heads. To explain, the role I play on our team is as a Roamer, meaning that once defenses go up I wander around untrafficked areas of the map trying to catch people out of place and murder them.

Example 1 (Oregon, Secure Area): Into the upstairs objective spawn, there's this weird attic that looks like a shipping container or something. We did not reinforce (render breachproof) the wall out of oversight, but in my explorations I ended up blowing a hole in it with a grenade. After making noise I scurried way. Later in the match, my team calls out that there's one left, near the breach, so- in what most have looked like hacking on the killcam- I stop what I'm doing, move over to that breach, and end up flanking the last player, firing as soon as I can to make sure the other team sees that I have apparent psychic powers.
Example 2 (Chalet, hostage): Near the front door, there's an ankle height vent that you can shoot through without being seen. As soon as they begin their assault, I rush across the basement of the chalet as fast as possible and watch. They all pile up there. I ruin their coordinated push by knocking down- but not killing- two of them through that little vent. They start rotating to different entry points. I run back through the basement, and pop up on another staircase, taking an obvious potshot at the one person left there holding that spot. While I do this, my team knocks down two. I run back to my ankle shooty hole, and there's two people, creeping, back to the staircase moving in on a room they think my team is camping. I open up on both of them and they don't get a shot off. I run back downstairs, on purpose, to fool their killcams. I run back up. I look through my ankle hole. I get the final kill of the game through that vent, in a kill cam that very clearly shows the bodies of his two friends who have failed to alert him that I was still there.

Look. Rainbow Six Siege is a game where you play against teams of people who are capable of this. But, Rainbow Six Siege is also a game that will teach you, through bloody trial and error, how to capable right back at them. It is beautiful. It is probably the best thing Ubisoft has put out that does not say "Rayman" on it.
if anyone cares, example 1 was with caveira, example 2 was with jager

TRIED STELLARIS AGAIN [3]
So as it turns out, playing Stellaris with friends helps that game make a lot more sense a lot faster than they have any interest in showing. It's also showed me some weird sides of my friends and their approaches to success and empire. I could have done without learning that. Otherwise, it's good!

BAYONETTA 2 [4]
"ok so what if bayonetta but literally every part of it was better and more fun"
"ok but is it still weird about the idea of 'sexy'"
"absolutely"
"ok"

i just cleared the story mode and i am going to put like another 40 hours into this game because damnit I have missed this kind of thing

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, twiztor said:

nowhere else to put this, so here goes.

i play and collect a bunch of NES games. not a fan of the Tengen black cartridges, but wanted a Ms. Pac-Man cart, so i frankensteined my own (swapped boards, made a custom label based on the Tengen one). Turned out pretty good as far as i'm concerned.

NH0mWm5.jpg

fMx9grg.jpg

That's hella dope. I just went through all my old carts with the intent of cataloging them and setting up the game room in a way more conducive to playing all of the fresh old shit that I have. I have to ask you, as a collector, do you find yourself frustrated by the continual upswing of prices for games? I don't give a fuck about mint in box, I just want working cartridges to add to my library of games to play, but apparently everyone in the used market seems to think that because something is from an older generation, it's worth a million dollars.

I go to swap meets and dirt malls in the hopes to grab something on the inexpensive side, and I end up coming home empty handed because the person selling it thinks that Double Dragon II (cart only) is a $45 dollar game. I don't expect everything to be dirt cheap like it was in the Funcoland days, but I do expect people to not try to gouge me at every turn for something that isn't rare in any way, shape, or from. I like going out and buying games, and I don't want to buy everything online, but it seems to be the best way to save some dough these days.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2018 at 6:07 PM, Death From Above said:

I haven't played a turn-based RPG in quite a while but Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition is 70% off on Steam this weekend so fuck it, I guess I will try that now. I can tell right away I am totally gonna use a walkthrough on the puzzles but whatever I have put in a hundred thousand gaming hours I am entitled to bitch out on those by now.

So far it's good! I have played for a few hours and barely done any combat, but still gained a couple levels. I am very much in favor of any roleplaying system where there are gains to be made that aren't just "hit stuff until it dies" (some irony for a A-RPG player, I know). A lot of dialogue and story, and looking in crates and bookcases for THINGS. It's very much scratching the itch I had to play something in that vein of Baldur's Gate/D&D style of universe. It does have some unwieldy inventory nonsense (trading with a trader only counts the stuff on your person not in the whole party, TONS of junk items that might or might not be good for crafting). It's also definitley a very open ended game that some may just want a guide to point them in the right direction. But overall I think it was a good pick up.

I really like the way you roll two characters at the start because it seems like it would open up some really funky things you can experiment with. You also get these dialogue options between your two characters, which effect personality traits (which then influence sills), where it's not actually necessary for everyone to be on the same page. What a concept. I went with a Cleric and a Ranger which seems pretty safe. I am trying to play the cleric as more stern and orderly and the ranger as more open to doing whatever she feels like.

I feel like I actually haven't accomplished a ton in several hours, but I've had a good time.

The girlfriend just started Stardew Valley.  The game has a name-generator for the animals in the game. The game's first suggestion was "Back". Whoa, weird name.

It's second recommendation was "Kony". Jesus! Not cool.

The third was "Fukers".

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The girlfriend just started Stardew Valley.  The game has a name-generator for the animals in the game. The game's first suggestion was "Back". Whoa, weird name.

It's second recommendation was "Kony". Jesus! Not cool.

The third was "Fukers".

One time I asked my friend to name a newborn chicken. they suggested something along the lines of "Dickhead," and the name generator suggested "No."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

That's hella dope. I just went through all my old carts with the intent of cataloging them and setting up the game room in a way more conducive to playing all of the fresh old shit that I have. I have to ask you, as a collector, do you find yourself frustrated by the continual upswing of prices for games? I don't give a fuck about mint in box, I just want working cartridges to add to my library of games to play, but apparently everyone in the used market seems to think that because something is from an older generation, it's worth a million dollars.

I go to swap meets and dirt malls in the hopes to grab something on the inexpensive side, and I end up coming home empty handed because the person selling it thinks that Double Dragon II (cart only) is a $45 dollar game. I don't expect everything to be dirt cheap like it was in the Funcoland days, but I do expect people to not try to gouge me at every turn for something that isn't rare in any way, shape, or from. I like going out and buying games, and I don't want to buy everything online, but it seems to be the best way to save some dough these days.

long story short, yes, the rising prices are a constant thorn in my side.

luckily, i've been collecting NES games since i was a kid, so i have most of the rare (i.e. expensive) games that i want. got really lucky with some of them, because the prices are insane! I also only go after the cartridges, i couldn't care less about boxes or manuals (until we get to disc games- then i need the whole package). I end up scoping eBay for most of my games. so much on there is overpriced (even compared to the already inflated prices) but i try to not impulse buy and watch for deals.

What systems are you interested in? the NES is my first love, but i'm currently trying to get all the games for the Sega 32x.

23 minutes ago, twiztor said:

long story short, yes, the rising prices are a constant thorn in my side.

luckily, i've been collecting NES games since i was a kid, so i have most of the rare (i.e. expensive) games that i want. got really lucky with some of them, because the prices are insane! I also only go after the cartridges, i couldn't care less about boxes or manuals (until we get to disc games- then i need the whole package). I end up scoping eBay for most of my games. so much on there is overpriced (even compared to the already inflated prices) but i try to not impulse buy and watch for deals.

What systems are you interested in? the NES is my first love, but i'm currently trying to get all the games for the Sega 32x.

I am sticking with the systems I owned as a young man, so 2600 to current gen. I never owned a TurboGrafx 16, but if one fell into my lap for the right price, I would definitely pop for it. I have never even seen a Neo Geo AES in person, so that is the one console that I allow emulation or rereleases (Hamster Arcade Archives are gangster as fuck)  to be the way I play.

My main focus is SNES and Genesis, as that was really the bright light for me as far as my love of games goes. I am still insane about gaming, and still play everything that strikes my fancy, but because of the genres I am most deeply invested in (platformers\RPGs), those two consoles really hit home for me. Much like you, I only get finicky about packaging when we get into disc based systems. That's cool that you have a goal in mind for the 32X, I don't really have an endgame, I just have an ever evolving list of stuff that I want to have in my collection so that I can play it again and so my sons can play it as well. No young man should ever miss the chance to play Aladdin for SNES just because he was born 25 years after it was released.

• Like 2

God of War kinda sucks so far, especially the combat. Sticking with it for three or four more hours at least. I hear that it gets better after a few hours.

Yeah right at the start as soon as they let you move I'm all going in the opposite direction and the kid is bitching about the main path and I'm all "Fuck off I'm lookin' for secrets and doin' video game shit!" 

Shit load of "cinematic" automatic slow walking so far.  I couldn't beat the first fucking enemies on the higher difficulty.  Soon as I turn it to normal they die in 4 hits.  Before I even started I turned off hud and tutorials.  But now anytime I'm picking up treasure it gives no information.  Game came with some code that gave 3 different colored shields that look the same.  No stats so I don't really understand what the purpose is.

It's one of those new 3rd person games where your dude is way off to the left and you can't always walk backwards.

After you get out of the first couple tutorial encounters I have enjoyed watching the game on twitch. The hardest difficulty is almost a meme it's so far into the absurd though. Second hardest is just fine for, like, normal people.

It's nothing like the old God of War games, which means the camera is no longer the main boss, so I'm fine.

OK I get to this first revenant and with no tutorial messages on I have no idea that square makes the kid use the bow.  Holy shit this is fucking killing me.  It's one of those deals where you can just infinitely block and I really don't give a fucking shitititityhithrdehuj