DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Every couple years I break that out because Transformers is one of my favorite things and I legit enjoyed most of it, and every single time the episodes where you play as Seekers and Aerialbots break me.  I am astonished that you found people to play Escalation with.

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

Got my 106th Platinum trophy with Transformers: War For Cybertron on PS3.

On 4/7/2018 at 7:53 AM, JLSigman said:

The only one I can remember that did it well was Planescape: Torment, but you had to know which areas to go to and which to avoid.

Good thing, too, since the one time I tried playing it, the combat was godawful. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Good thing, too, since the one time I tried playing it, the combat was godawful. 

That's pretty much every isometric CRPG from the '90s ever. 

This is behind my "Fallout: New Vegas is the best Fallout game" argument. Same elaborate questlines and freedom toward completing the story without the dull combat of Fallout or Fallout 2. 

Yeah, I'm going to go back tonight and give it another try. I think I played for all of 25 minutes the first time and found the controls so clunky that I just gave up. Same with the one time I played Fallout 1. 

I don't even remember what I was trying to fight or what I was trying to do - probably a Dustman encounter, from what other sites are saying? - but I mostly just stood there and got the shit kicked out of me. Really just telling me I should put my big-boy pants back on, innit.

I finished Rise of the Tomb Raider over the weekend (which I enjoyed more than the first one but it has also been awhile since I played the first one) so I was looking for something simple so I tried The Witness since it was an XBOX Game with Gold

After a hour of just doing line puzzles I realized I didn't hate myself THAT much

Now trying to decide what I play next

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I thought I heard Elite Dangerous Core calling my name, but I may wait until the No Man's Sky port comes out.

I'm trying to decide just how much I hate myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I thought I heard Elite Dangerous Core calling my name, but I may wait until the No Man's Sky port comes out.

I'm trying to decide just how much I hate myself.

I'm on holiday at the moment and keep being tempted to throw it on, yet I don't think it is necessarily conducive to some relaxing game play during my down time.

It's doubtful, but I hope that OG Star Wars Battlefront 2 news will mean that some of the Xbox Live components will be turned on with the game, but I don't think that has been the case to this point for these backwards compatible releases.

I trimmed my Friends List a couple of days ago and to my dismay, I have discovered that I still have a a shitton of followers that used to be on the List along with dozens of casual contacts I rolled with in Mass Effect: Andromeda and Gears Of War multplayer.

Is there an easier way to get rid of the followers I don't want following me other than the old Block / Unblock / Hope They Don't Resubscribe route?  It could easily take a day or two to tidy up my Follower shit.

On 11/04/2018 at 1:07 PM, RIPPA said:

I finished Rise of the Tomb Raider over the weekend (which I enjoyed more than the first one but it has also been awhile since I played the first one) so I was looking for something simple so I tried The Witness since it was an XBOX Game with Gold

After a hour of just doing line puzzles I realized I didn't hate myself THAT much

I realised that as I got to the final section. Goddamn I hated that towards the end. Wasnt intuitive at all.

I could yell about The Witness for hours, but like really the only thing that The Witness is really about is that scene from Indie Game: The Movie where he's all super dramatic over that Soulja Boy video about Braid.

Anyways.

PART-TIME UFO [4]
This game is so adorable that it is almost actually painful. You play as a UFO, and someone says you need a job so you get a job using your claw to move stuff around. Sometimes you're fishing. Sometimes you're building columns. Sometimes you're stacking cheerleaders. It is all painfully cute. It is a $4 phone game. Maybe take a look.

SPYPARTY [4]
This is the first game that's helped me explain why I play fighting games to people who hate fighting games. It is an EXTREMELY difficult game to explain, but it has a super good tutorial. As someone who is into doing Heist Shit, I am Competely Into SpyParty. If you like fighting games, or stealing shit, you should look at Spy Party.

Jon Blow can design the hell out of a puzzle, but he thinks that having that one specific skill means that he's an intelligent person who knows lots about everything and has deep things to say.

He's like Ben Carson. Has one unique skill that he does exceedingly well, not the brightest in any other capacity, thinks he's way smarter than he is because of his one unique skill.

Bombslinger is basically "What if Bomberman, but roguelike?" Which is to say, it's pretty awesome. I've only made it a level or two into the game, but the boss battles are fun, and the strategy-style gameplay is good because it's almost impossible to fuck it up. Not totally impossible, as last month's PS+ game for Vita Bombing Busters would be evidence of, but almost impossible.

I like the sprite work in the game, too. It's nice and colorful and chunky. 

I said to myself I wasn't going to play much of Dead Cells before it left early access and had its soon-forthcoming "official release". There's just one problem, the game is really fucking good. I keep coming back and dumping in a couple hours here and there. If you're the kind of person that wants to wait until it's "done", I get it, but it's perfectly fine already. Really easy game to pick up and play, very fast moving, always something to do. Really good art style and the animation quality isn't done justice in still shots either. 

Heat Signature looks like a game I *really* want to try, but am waiting for someone to say if it's really good or not (or for it to end up in one of my Humble Bundles)

• Like 1

Hello! I wrote an extremely specific thing about the tweet that Alestair Black posted about Far Cry 5 that is both full of spoiler and EXTREMELY morbid and dark. I don't feel good about posting it in the open. If you would like to see the thing I wrote, PM me and I will gladly send it to you. For everyone else, have a nice day! :D !

I think that if you know the ending of Far Cray 5 is really fucking weird no matter what you do (and IT IS), and you can accept that, it's not something that should really tip the scales.

I say this as a man still mad that Mass Effect 3 made me feel like no matter what I chose your friends start dying, so clearly I do not hold grudges at all.

• Haha 1

I got my 4th Platinum trophy with Batman: The Telltail Series on PS4.

OK, so that's not as impressive as 106 platinums, and it's a tell tail game so it basically just gives it away. But it still counts damn it!

It's actually the first Telltail game I've played despite owning a bunch thanks to PS+/GWG/Humble Bundles. I've played other 'walking sims' before, Life is Strange is one of my favourite games on the PS4, but there wasn't a whole lot of walking in Batman. Are other Telltail games as light on the walking as Batman? It was pretty much just watching an 8 hour Batman movie with the occasional quick time event. Not that i'm complaining, the platinum trophy told me i'm Batman, so i'm Batman now! It had some interesting takes on characters and backgrounds. I did enjoy it though, i'm tempted to pick up season 2 the next time it goes on sale which will probably guarantee it going free the next month. I think Telltail and Assassins Creed are in competition to see who can give away the most games in their franchises.

I also played through Ratchet and Clank last week since it was free on PS+ last month. I'd never played any of the original games but it was a lot of fun and either i suck at it or there is a massive difficulty jump for the final boss because i struggled with that more than i'd like to admit. Who would have though out of the 2 PS+ titles in march that i'd have more trouble beating a Ratchet and Clank boss than Bloodborne. Granted I've played Bloodborne to the point where i can just casually knock out a run now. I love that game.

Speaking of Bloodborne, i played through pretty much the entire game last month again in co-op form with a friend of mine. I always find watching other people play Dark Souls/Bloodborne games interesting because everyone seems to struggle with different things and has their own approach.

I played a lot of games over the past month, and barley touched Destiny, this is unusual for me.