DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

If anyone else here played Deus Ex Mankind Divided, would you know how doable a 100% nonlethal run is? I like doing sneaky heisty things and I'm generally down on the murder of human beings in non-competitive environments, and the last time I tried to play an action game nonviolently was an Assassin's Creed game that seemed to have more options than it actually did, so, Hey, How Doable Is Pacifist Mankind Divided?

It's a deus ex game - there's always a non-lethal way of doing things. but the enemy AI is hawklike. you need to bone up on tech in order to be able to do it. 

I'm having too much fun being a murderbot with a shotgun. He may not have asked for any of this - but it's fun as fuck.

8 hours ago, Control said:

How Sierra and a Disgraced Cop Made the Most Reactionary Game of the 90s

I was trying to remember which Police Quest game had you solve the mystery by ignoring your police work and lassoing a stray dog that drags you to the killer’s hideout, and ended up reading this informative little article.

Then setting the killer on fire with a lighter and some hairspray.  Good times.

YO SOY DARYL F GATES EL MEJOR RUDO VIPERS EXTREME DE LAPD

• Like 1

I got PQ4 as a Christmas gift as a kid and even then I realized that it was kinda messed up.

It was also the last game I got on floppies and there were like 24 of those bastards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought GOROGOA after the comments here. I probably should give it another playthrough or two. But I just feel like I'm missing something about it. I'm sure, in a rational sense, that I'm not missing anything at all since I completed the game, but it's probably my slavish need for something like a real narrative that makes me feel like I could have skipped it. Hell, I even play dumbass, boring games like Skyrim and I'm on-board with whatever moronic crap it's telling me to do from moment to moment. I like puzzles, and I like *these* puzzles, but I sat there after finishing it, thinking, "What does it all mean?"

Maybe that's what it wanted me to do, though.

I mean, there was absolutely a narrative. there just wasn't dialogue.

My take is, every human in that game is the same person. You start as the child and progress through his life. The creature represents a childhood dream, a creature of myth from a favorite book, and the game progresses through these different moments in that child's homeland, from idyllic youth to studious adolescence to wartorn adulthood, and the completion of the reconstruction of his home in old age. It's a tone poem about what you hold onto in between the hard times.

• Like 1

While detail #1 is very clearly the case in the game, I think the fly in the ointment with the rest of the interpretation is that 

Spoiler

the Gorogoa is very much a driver of these events; the way it's structured leads one to the conclusion that the reason why there is any sort of destruction at all is due to something the monster inflicted.

Of course, the way you're describing it would suggest that the 'world' is nothing and nowhere past the 5 inch space between the boy's ears, and therefore there's no 'macro' sense of anything, merely its intended symbolism. 

I’m loving the little of Far Cry 5 that I’ve played. I’m really terrible at it - partly because it’s my first Far Cry game and partly because I’m terrible at shooters in general. My best skill is accidentally gunning down civilians.  

Right now I just want to spend my time hunting and fishing. And shooting cultists on jet skis when they disturb my attempt to reel a trout in. My hunting technique involves running over stuff in jeeps. Sure it’s cheap but it’s bettet than getting mauled by mountain lions 

• Haha 1

DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED [2]
I should have added an addendum to my "is a pacifist run possible" question: "is it skin-peelingly stupid?" Because I needed to know that going in. I've spent a long time away from the western big story shooter thing and my return to it was just a return to everything that chased me away. No characters are interesting. The story has the subtlety of a ham shaped like a fist. I did not want to help anyone the pbjective marker suggested helping.

"At least," I said during the five hours I played it, "I am doing cool spy things like planting traces and electrocuting cops. I'm into all of that." That all fell apart after a mission when I had to retrieve evidence before it got destroyed. I electrocuted three cops and punched another. During this mission I accidentally dragged an unconscious body too hard and it died. When I saw that, I scrunched my face, then reloaded the save and tried it again, more patiently.

When I got back to the terminal after that mission, they started screaming at me, and my character informed both his boss and me that all he had done was kill some cops. "Like hell you did," I thought. "I was there the whole time." After returning to the base where my character multiple times calmly asserted how murder is how he winds his watch I closed the game and uninstalled it. Parts of it are extremely cool. Parts of it are extremely not cool. At least I only paid Monthly Bundle pricing for it, as I'd be considerably more depressed if I paid full retail.

Plus side: Now I have a good excuse to go try out that Hitman Patient Zero stuff!

KAMI [3]
it's that origami folding game on 3DS that's always on sale

it's fine

it's weightless

10 hours ago, Robert C said:

I’m loving the little of Far Cry 5 that I’ve played. I’m really terrible at it - partly because it’s my first Far Cry game and partly because I’m terrible at shooters in general. My best skill is accidentally gunning down civilians.  

Right now I just want to spend my time hunting and fishing. And shooting cultists on jet skis when they disturb my attempt to reel a trout in. My hunting technique involves running over stuff in jeeps. Sure it’s cheap but it’s bettet than getting mauled by mountain lions 

You're almost as terrible at shooters as I am.  Almost.

4 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

"At least," I said during the five hours I played it, "I am doing cool spy things like planting traces and electrocuting cops. I'm into all of that." That all fell apart after a mission when I had to retrieve evidence before it got destroyed. I electrocuted three cops and punched another. During this mission I accidentally dragged an unconscious body too hard and it died. When I saw that, I scrunched my face, then reloaded the save and tried it again, more patiently.

Lol, I can't think of too many games that reward pacifism or just being a nice guy.  If there are many games like that, I'm guessing most of them sold horribly and I never heard of them (more likely, they got scrapped during development).

I laughed way too much about Lamp's dude trying hard to practice pacifism then accidentally dragging a dude to his death.

The Summer Games Done Quick games list was released.

Considering the spirited discussions had in the past incarnations of the forum about how hard Ninja Gaiden Xbox was, I’m sure that speedrun will bring back painful memories for some of us.

Also, Rockman no Constancy (one of the better Mega Man 2 ROMhacks) should be a treat.

Man, puwexil is a goddamn machine. He specializes in 16 bit era JRPG's mainly and a 7 hour glitchless FF VI run, I can't imagine I will watch the whole thing but his knowledge of all that era's games is amazing.

Dark Souls all bosses will be interesting to me because there's been some recent discoveries that slightly change the route. That is a very competitive record right now. This won't be a record time but I am curious to see if he tries the new shit.

The Mario Maker blocks are always good for entertainment. Some of the stuff people have built in that thing is just pure evil.

I don't understand the appeal of the TASbot segments at all and every time I watch one I go "I don't get it".

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Some head scratchers with that list.  

Are they doing another Awful Games Done Quick block? Because those have actually been some of the most entertaining stuff, usually because the guys willing to run those games require a pretty good sense of humour to torture themselves like that for our perverse amusement.

The original TASbot stuff was interesting in setting an AI to learn how to speedrun on its own, but it turned into how cute the programmers can get hacking into the games and fucking with the code and less about TASbot speedrunning games.

Although I have to say, I was throughly impressed with them getting Portal running on daisy-chained NES and SNES boards using thousands of inputs a second.

5 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Lol, I can't think of too many games that reward pacifism or just being a nice guy.  If there are many games like that, I'm guessing most of them sold horribly and I never heard of them (more likely, they got scrapped during development).

Everybody praises Undertale for this very thing. 

Should I play Undertale, by the way? Haven't tried it yet. 

(Also, there are a ton of 4X games that you can win by essentially playing in a pacifist manner.)

16 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Everybody praises Undertale for this very thing. 

Should I play Undertale, by the way? Haven't tried it yet. 

(Also, there are a ton of 4X games that you can win by essentially playing in a pacifist manner.)

The easiest way to check is to ask yourself, "Do I like Earthbound?".

Just now, John E. Dynamite said:

The easiest way to check is to ask yourself, "Do I like Earthbound?".

Oh, fuck no. I hate Earthbound. 

Hard pass, then. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Are they doing another Awful Games Done Quick block? Because those have actually been some of the most entertaining stuff, usually because the guys willing to run those games require a pretty good sense of humour to torture themselves like that for our perverse amusement.

I don’t know much about the obscure games, but one of my favorite 2017 runs was Sega Bass Fishing of all fucking games. It’s really at it’s best when it displays games well off the beaten path.

19 hours ago, Death From Above said:

It's technically possible to beat Fallout 1 as a pacifist. Maybe 2? I don't remember but 1 definitely had a "talk out the final boss fight" option.

Not a thing I can remember being done very often since.

The only one I can remember that did it well was Planescape: Torment, but you had to know which areas to go to and which to avoid.