DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

So this is a really niche post that like 2 people will get, but I only need to loop with one more character to unlock Fish's B-skin in Nuclear Throne and I really want it simply as proof I am better than at least someone at this game. Too bad it's Melting that is left so my life is going to be an endless river of shit and pain.

Fuck Chicken, fuck her stupid throwing weapons power, thank God I don't have to do that anymore. I actually prefer playing as Melting to Chicken because at least Melting's right click power actually does something and is fun to use. I am really back on this game, hard, playing every day after a few months away, and it's honestly one of my favourite games at this point. Accepting that I am probably never going to crack the first couple pages of the leaderboard on the daily runs and just playing it for raw enjoyment was 100% the right idea.

IT SEEMS LIKE MOST OF MY YEAR IS GONNA BE ON THREE GAMES
Crossed 170 hours on Monster Hunter last night. Regret very little of it (losing fights feels uniquely awful). MHW has replaced my will to play fighting games and also Nioh. But what about shooting stuff?

I bought the Year 3 Pass to Rainbow Six Siege last week. I do not know how to properly explain how much I adore this game.

also, square reconfirmed DQ11 is making it to the US this September, so that'll be my winter game taken care of.

TYPESHIFT [4]
It is a mobile game who's website is the best combination tutorial/pitch to a video game I might have ever seen. Personal opinion: my whole family has a deep, strong, powerful love of crossword puzzles. This game is catnip for that love.

GOROGOA [4]
I bet I will be the only person on this board to ever play this. It is a 4D Pop-Up Book, and it's done in an hour, and it's just fuckin great. I finished it in a sitting and was just enamored with how ingenious it was all throughout. I've played plenty of puzzle games that have like twenty good ideas and sixty fine ones. This game is all good ideas with no filler. It is a punk album. I love it.

FORTNITE BATTLE ROYALE [3]
This is going to sound EXTREMELY DERISIVE, but please know I mean this with all affection: this is easily the best PS2 game of 2018. It has that same "best we can do" feeling that a lot of those old PS2 shooters have, where they replace decent mechanics with joyful execution. It is a wonderful throwback to that era of game. Also, playing PUBG before playing this has ruined my ability to interact with my friends that are way into Fortnite because I want to Fight Constantly and that's not them.

• Like 1

I thought that I had posted about it, but I didn't actually, upon a quick check. You basically nailed the review though, so I don't have to after all!

I was so fucking excited for Tempest 4000. Then I saw that it is a $30 game for something that does not seem to have anything TxK didn't have except "on something other than Vita and without a cease-and-desist" so I guess I'll just play TxK until T4K goes on sale for under $20. I'll overpay a little on retro remakes if the craft is good enough, but not THAT much.

On 3/22/2018 at 2:23 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

So far I'm so fucking bad I can't land properly and thus have only done the tutorial. It's really well put together though

My dude, you were not lying, it took me like 20 minutes to properly land my ship the first time.  This is going to take some work.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 4:12 PM, Zimbra said:

My dude, you were not lying, it took me like 20 minutes to properly land my ship the first time.  This is going to take some work.

What I played of it was quite fun, even if it was just trying to get my ship landed.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

What I played of it was quite fun, even if it was just trying to get my ship landed.

Yeah, it seems to be extremely well put together and I hope I can get gud enough to see more of it.

I do wish I was playing with a HOTAS or at least a joystick instead of a controller.

17 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Yeah, it seems to be extremely well put together and I hope I can get gud enough to see more of it.

I do wish I was playing with a HOTAS or at least a joystick instead of a controller.

I deleted it as I didn't have enough HD space with new games in my collection. Picked up an external HD last week and re-downloaded it so will have to try and sink some time into it this Easter Holidays.

Do agree that it must be better with something more like a joystick.

A few games that I've recently played to some degree:

Gorogoa is, as mentioned above, a tightly-designed, fantastic puzzle game. It took me maybe two, two-and-a-half hours to complete because I was just a bit slow to see the panels in the right way. The beauty of the game is that a) it gives you straight clues about each of the puzzles, at least through the first three chapters, without those clues being overbearing, and b) once you see the illustrations in the way that the game wants you to see them, the whole thing just opens up. My only complaint is that the game ended right after I started to see the objects in pictures not as objects, but as parts of patterns that were duplicated in other panels. It reminds me of The Witness in that once you catch on to how the game wants you to see patterns in itself, you can't possibly unsee it. It's worth it at $15, IMO, but it's only like $5 on mobile if you're unsure about a weird little puzzle game that you'll finish in 1-2 hours. 

I had some free Switch money because I cashed in most of my Switch retail games at once, so I bought Mad Carnage on a whim. I didn't expect much, but even as a simple SRPG, the encounters aren't very interesting and don't force much strategic thinking. I am jonesing for the Mario and Rabbids DK DLC to come out already, and this didn't do anything to scratch that itch. 

Football Manager 18 is more football manager with slightly better, slightly clunkier presentation, which means I'll be four hundred hours deep into it before I buy FM20 or FM21. 

I bought Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition because I can't help myself. It was twenty bucks for Switch, and even though I've platinumed it on PS4 already, it's at worst a top-four platformer of this generation. Or of last generation, for that matter. There are quite a few parents here asking about good Switch games for their kids, and this definitely comes with my recommendation. It's full of content and the 2P competitive Kung Foot game is actually quite fun, too. 

I am replaying Parasite Eve for the first time in years. It's about as tightly plotted and properly paced as any JRPG that I've ever played (even though there are some really poorly-paced parts where you spend scene after scene walking around and talking to people as they dump plot points on you - hello, beginning of Day 2). The ARPG elements are super interesting, actually, and New York being desolate as fuck partly because it's Christmas and partly because people are probably staying in their houses for fear of being immolated makes sense and adds to the unsettling nature of the game. I loved this thing as a teenager, and it's actually aged quite well in a way that most of those Squaresoft PS1 games did not. 

16 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Lode Runner Legacy hit Switch this week with no warning. It's awesome.

Yeah, that was a Day 1 purchase for me on PC and it freaking rocks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tabe said:

Yeah, that was a Day 1 purchase for me on PC and it freaking rocks.

I was in on Day 1 too, and was a little disappointed it didn't take off better.  The fact that I'm as far on Switch as I am on PC in Adventure Mode but have a ranking in the 1300s on Switch but top 300 on Steam for total score and stars is a good sign, though--now if only some of them will put together Bomberman models for the enemies as happened within 24 hrs of the PC version releasing.

I also finally figured out why I never got as into the Japanese-developed versions of the game as I did the Apple original (going back to the Turbo, Xbox and Android versions kind of confirmed this): the Japanese games feel like they build each level around one big puzzle, actions you need to take in (for the most part) a specific order to solve.  The Doug Smith levels feel much more like an action game with a dozen tiny puzzles to solve individually.  They use the same game mechanics in very different ways.  I want to go back to the Win95/PS1 "Lode Runner: The Legend Returns" (which was made mostly by Smith) to confirm but that's how it feels right now.  I have still enjoyed basically every non-mobile version of the game that I've played, but always wondered why none of the JP games ever quite felt 'right' to me.

That's not totally inaccurate.  However, that era would show Squeenix to be ahead of the curve in releasing unfinished games into the wild.  At least with Xenogears.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Related image

Sorry, man, but if it makes you feel better, quite a lot of that PS1-era polygonal stuff didn't age very well. I'm not meaning to pick on Square specifically. 

I would say that there are four games from that era of Squaresoft that I think hold up strongly today: 

• Parasite Eve
  • Bushido Blade
  • Bushido Blade 2
  • Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring (the arcade version, I mean. I played it a year ago, and it was still dope)

I kind of agree that a lot of games in that era aged very poorly. We went from a period of really great 16-bit art and design, into the age of "let's experiment in 3D" with art that can best be described as "polygonal hell".

Of course there are some great titles there, but it was a transitional time for the industry on the whole and there are plenty of games from around that period I have absolutely zero interest in ever revisiting.

• Like 1

If anyone else here played Deus Ex Mankind Divided, would you know how doable a 100% nonlethal run is? I like doing sneaky heisty things and I'm generally down on the murder of human beings in non-competitive environments, and the last time I tried to play an action game nonviolently was an Assassin's Creed game that seemed to have more options than it actually did, so, Hey, How Doable Is Pacifist Mankind Divided?