DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

So I browsed through the Steam store for fun, and saw this neat looking Metroidvania game called Iconoclasts.  

If you like Metroidvania's, GET THIS GAME, by the Seven its amazing. 

28 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So I browsed through the Steam store for fun, and saw this neat looking Metroidvania game called Iconoclasts.  

See this is exactly the sort of game I need to hear feedback about because steam will spit literally 100 suggestions for "game that is like..." at you and on the surface like 90 of them will be indistinguishable, so it's always great to hear about which ones are actually worthwhile.

This is exactly how I missed Salt and Sanctuary until I heard about it through word of mouth.

WARHAMMER VERMINTIDE 2 [no rating, refunded]
I did one mission with friends. One asked me "What do you think." I said "The combat is a little samey." They said "yup." In a year where Monster Hunter World didn't come out, this game might have stood a chance with me.

HEROES OF HAMMERWATCH [no rating, refunded]
hey remember hammerwatch well what if get money build town watch more hammers

MARIO & LUIGI REMAKE [3]
Bought this after quitting DQ8. I've been meaning to replay this game for years, and I'm loving large parts of it, but they made a confounding choice with the controls. See, in the original, the way the game worked was that Left Trigger cycled between Luigi's actions, and Right Trigger cycled between Mario's. The start button toggled who was in front. In this game, for no real reason, they've changed how that works entirely: there's now a set menu of available actions that you cycle through with left and right trigger. Or, you can cycle with the touch screen, but if you do that you lose the map functionality (that's actually really useful since the map screens are not logical distances apart). This is infuriating to me. Everything else is as good as I remember.

MURI [3]
This game will appeal to a VERY limited audience. It is an attempt to make a super accurate MS-DOS era, VGA graphics, onboard speaker sound platformer. It is pretty good at accomplishing this. I like playing it just because of how like hypnotic it is to me and my own memories, but I don't know if I'd recommend it if you never dabbled with that kind of platformer back in the day, because it's not like it's great. And even if you REALLY WANTED to play something in this style, I'd recommend Kero Blaster (same basic goal but made by the Cave Story guy) before I'd recommend this.

13 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I actually downloaded the original for PS3 when it was on sale for 5 bucks and never got around to it, but all the talk about the remaster might push me to do so. I am dreading a solid half of that soundtrack, though.

The PS3 one will let you turn individual songs on and off and play music off your HDD.  I mostly played the classical parts of the soundtrack mixed with the songs I had on my drive just for Wipeout Zone Mode.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Raziel said:

Added to my wishlist.  It's that rare pixel art game that looks good as opposed to just looking lazy.

Getting deeper into Iconclasts.

It's storyline is standard JRPG stuff, which is fine.  It's fairly linear at this stage, but the areas are big enough to not feel linear.  Puzzles are challenging while not being impossible.  The game doesn't hold your hand, which is good.  Bosses take a few tries to get the patterns down, so it feels pretty classicaly old school.

My only gripe would be save points are pretty spaced out.  Retries on dying go to checkpoints, but the save points themselves lead to the old "I gotta run but lose 20 minutes of progress" problems.  Still, I'm throughly entertained and am getting my $15 out of it.

Definitely not as cool as the preview image makes it look, but watching grown men scream like children is pretty great.

Of course there's a glitch.

Apparently if you survive an encounter, it gets more aggressive the next time.

The new Steam update had one point I found interesting: 

Fixed an issue where games could no longer be launched in offline mode if Steam had previously started or scheduled an update

This has been a peeve of mine for ages and it's nice to see it shot into the sun, hopefully never to return.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Hey @Cliff Hanger I saw you were playing Elite:Dangerous the other day.  How's the PS4 version?  $12 seems like a good price point for me to fart around in space.

So far I'm so fucking bad I can't land properly and thus have only done the tutorial. It's really well put together though

Football Manager 18 was on sale on Steam for 25 bucks, so I bought it.

Just in time for me to waste my Spring Break, too!

The last one that I bought was 16, which I put 400+ hours into. If anyone is playing this latest one, did they add anything different that I should know about?

I upgraded to a 4k LED TV (LG 49") yesterday as a birthday gift. Won't be able to afford a 4k game machine or BD player for a while, but I'm more interested in HDR color anyway and generally future proofing against a 7-year-old Insignia set. And man. Housemarque's shooters really pop with HDR. I had just started a new playthru of Tomb Raider 2013, but since I also have an unopened Horizon Zero Dawn I may do that instead.

Grim Dawn was on sale for less than $7 yesterday, so I bought it.

Holy shit this is SO MUCH FUN. I started as a Demolitionist (shoot zombies in the head, then burn everything), and eventually added soldier for the armor buffs. I'm level 12, done a couple parts of the main quest, but mainly I'm roaming the early maps and getting the hang of the mechanics. Depending on how much money I have left over today, I will try to pick up the DLCs.

I ran through the new content with a Death Knight (Necromancer/Soldier). Two handed weapons + life steal every time I hit stuff certainly works. Not a fancy character but I had fun getting in the middle of everything and smashing away. I have barely done the Inquisitor who is the other DLC class but that one looks like it has some wild synergies with just about everyone. I burned out (for now) after about 100 hours but the thing that was nice in Grim Dawn was how the crafting system is clearly geared towards this being a single player game so you don't have to spend 400 hours grinding some late game boss for a bullshit material, that I ever ran into.

The Constellation system will probably seem really overwhelming when you first look at it but luckily the wiki covers it well and there are a couple nice guides.

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Scouting is a little different and there's team chemistry now. Pretty much the same game. I gave up after it started to do random crashes to desktop.

I only had a couple crashes in '16. I hope that issue isn't worse. 

I was hoping that they updated GAM/TAM rules in MLS since I usually start as the Sounders manager for at least the first decade of my career. In '16, they didn't make any distinction, but it's a pretty important distinction for actual MLS GMs. 

I rented Monster Hunter World and put a couple hours into it, was having a lot of fun, and then I saw that Injustice is celebrating the Krypton premiere with TV gear for Brainiac, Supergirl, Flash, Green Arrow and Firestorm.  Wish I'd seen that on Tuesday when it started. (Focusing on Supergirl because I fucking hate her IJ2 costume options).

nowhere else to put this, so here goes.

i play and collect a bunch of NES games. not a fan of the Tengen black cartridges, but wanted a Ms. Pac-Man cart, so i frankensteined my own (swapped boards, made a custom label based on the Tengen one). Turned out pretty good as far as i'm concerned.

NH0mWm5.jpg

fMx9grg.jpg

• Like 3

Those Tengen carts are bastards.  When I got into cleaning my cartridges and had my nintendo screwdriver I went to open up my old Pac Man cart and they hide a screw behind the back sticker.  Mahfuck.  The unlicensed shit uses regular screws tho.

• Like 1

The only Tengen cart I remember owning offhand was the notoriously bizarre and unpopular Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

It's a terrible game, really bad. But it had so many unique things that were totally unlike any other NES game I have seen in how they approached it, that I still feel there was a good idea buried in that sludge. Deeply buried. Somewhere.

On 3/23/2018 at 5:50 AM, JLSigman said:

Grim Dawn was on sale for less than $7 yesterday, so I bought it.

Holy shit this is SO MUCH FUN. I started as a Demolitionist (shoot zombies in the head, then burn everything), and eventually added soldier for the armor buffs. I'm level 12, done a couple parts of the main quest, but mainly I'm roaming the early maps and getting the hang of the mechanics. Depending on how much money I have left over today, I will try to pick up the DLCs.

If you dig that, than I highly recommend you keep an eye out for The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing; it's pulpy and gothic and all kindsa fun. It regularly goes on sale and often is included in Humble Bundles.