DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Prison Architect just put out a new update that adds a bunch of new "Mutator" options for extra challenge. Stuff like "every prisoner belongs to a gang" or for real sickos "all prisoners are Legendaries".

I am seriously hitting the ultimate of first world problems: There are simply too many good games on my plate to play everything right now.

• Like 5

My original plan was to buy a PS4 this weekend.  Instead, I'm picking up some X-Box shooters and a couple PS2 games that were never released in the US.

It's kinda dawning on me that I've only scratched the surface with some of these old systems.  There are plenty of SNES/N64 platformers that I haven't beat.  And I'm really only starting to explore the PS2 catalog despite owning a PS2 since the early 2000's,  Till last year, I mostly just used it for Fire Pro Returns and Final Fantasy titles.  Really getting into the PSX/PS2 RPG's.

Think PS2 is my favorite system evah!  Not that interested in PS3 or PS4 other than Fire Pro World and a handful of rpg's.

Also just picked up an X-box for the first time and am thinking of getting the Gamecube.  Fire Pro World might persuade me to pick up a PS4 later this year, tho.

Just got my first Platinum trophy (though I’ve 1000/1000 a few games on Xbox). Finished 100% of Cat Quest in a dozen hours or so. Fun, little 3/4 view Zelda-like. Not difficult. Not particularly deep. Fun all the same. 

I finished the story at level 90 or so, so I just ran the hardest dungeon over and over to grind out the last 9 levels. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

My original plan was to buy a PS4 this weekend.  Instead, I'm picking up some X-Box shooters and a couple PS2 games that were never released in the US.

It's kinda dawning on me that I've only scratched the surface with some of these old systems.  There are plenty of SNES/N64 platformers that I haven't beat.  And I'm really only starting to explore the PS2 catalog despite owning a PS2 since the early 2000's,  Till last year, I mostly just used it for Fire Pro Returns and Final Fantasy titles.  Really getting into the PSX/PS2 RPG's.

Think PS2 is my favorite system evah!  Not that interested in PS3 or PS4 other than Fire Pro World and a handful of rpg's.

Also just picked up an X-box for the first time and am thinking of getting the Gamecube.  Fire Pro World might persuade me to pick up a PS4 later this year, tho.

This is my lifestyle these days. I got through most of the SNES catalogue, niw the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation is a gift that keeps on giving - and i'll argue the Wii catalogue is underrated. Remember that the Wii plays GC games, it may be a better investment.

This has been a bad few days for me and games.

I beat Monster Hunter World's story, and was like ready for the quest up to the end of the ranking system, but what the game did instead was just instantly promote me from rank 14 to 29. Like, I put in 130 hours of work climbing from 1 to 14, and so when I unceremoniously jumped to twice that rank it felt like they'd just made their own in game number meaningless. Instead there was just a bar next to Rank 29 to signify the new grind ahead. It's a tremendous misstep and it's kind of taken the wind out of my sales.

I quit Dragon Quest 8. The last boss I fought was a corny (probably white) dude voicing a mole making non-stop James Brown jokes. When I beat him, I won a boat. The boat moves extremely slow. The ocean is full of enemies that one-shot my casters. So I would have to restart my progress over and over when one of them died, in my slow fucking boat, attempting to cross the ocean. I closed my 3DS. The battery died overnight. My last save is front of the mole. I'm fuckin' good. That makes three Dragon Quest games I've quit in my process of playing all of them- 2, 8, and 9.

Playing through Life Is Strange: Before The Storm (digital deluxe even though physical copy just came out). Episode 2 just wrecked me. Not as bad as Episode 3/beginning of Episode 4 from LIS but pretty close.

EDIT: Got my 104th Platinum with Life Is Strange: Before The Storm! Episode 3 was HEAVY.

• Like 1

I really really need to be talked about doing another playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins instead the countless other games I never played in my pile of shame

48 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I really really need to be talked about doing another playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins instead the countless other games I never played in my pile of shame

Play ME 3 again instead

2 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

I knew you would be the person most excited about it.

Basically my hesitation is that IF I do it that means I will finally have to face down Dragon Age 2 again... and I don't know if I am in a position in my life to do so

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Please don't because you'll weaken an buy it and try to convince me that I should play too and so will JL and then I will buy a copy for my Xbox One and start grinding again and be angry for months and months and months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am loving Assassin's Creed Origins way more than I thought I would.  By far the best AC game since Black Flag.  The new combat is kinda 'eh' but everything else is really clicking for me.  Plus I'm a sucker for any game that lets you pet cats.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Please don't because you'll weaken an buy it and try to convince me that I should play too and so will JL and then I will buy a copy for my Xbox One and start grinding again and be angry for months and months and months.

I downloaded it when it was a GWG - that is the only reason I am considering it

I even forgot I had it until I noticed it on my hard drive when I was looking for something else yesterday

9 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

You can pet pumas in Far Cry 5.  Just so you know.  I'm getting really hyped for that game.

Seeming as the last few Far Cry games felt very similar, I watched a video showing off new features. Wasn't impressed but Far Cry is usually good, so I'll pick it up when it's 50% off in like 2 months. The location and less hand-holding are nice features, as is the improved AI but I'm good for now. Still need to play AC Origins.

Origins is pretty great and I don't want to steer you away from that in any way.  

For me, a lot of my enjoyment is going to be coming from the Farcry Arcade portion and possibly the multiplayer co-op stuff.  3 and 4 were VERY similar.  Shit, Primal used the same map as 4 and just made everyone cavemen.  I REALLY didn't enjoy Primal.

The post launch DLC looks cool too - it's a Vietnam story, a story that takes place on Mars where you fight Starship Troopers bugs, and a zombie story where you're participating in a b movie being filmed.  Plus Far Cry 3 remastered which better fucking have Blood Dragon remastered with it since they're HEAVY on teasing Blood Dragon shit in this game and it has a bunch of references I've seen just in the limited footage out now.

The little things they're tweaking look like kind of big changes without me being able to really explain them because the previous games really do all run together for me, because like you said, they're pretty "samey" - but they were games I really enjoyed so I didn't mind that.

I think this feels less hand-holdy like you said and I like that- like you just do a bunch of shit (whatever you want) to raise the chaos level in a region until the bosses take notice of you and you have to go fuck them up - a mechanic pretty close to what the Just Cause series uses.  

I like the Far Cry games but they are always $20 or less purchases from me because I will inevitably run out of steam before I finish them due to my general shittiness at FPSes.

• Like 1

I probably should put this in that Best Open Worlds thread, but Burnout Paradise Remastered had a very good pre-remastered rep for all these years, and I can see why. This game has a nicely-sized open world that you can travel around in pretty seamlessly. It's very, very impressive for 2008 and mostly holds up well in 2018. I love the arcade-style cars and the driving, where it's easy to launch into the air and do barrel rolls and flips and stick a landing. Hit a ramp with some speed and you shoot off into the sky like you were launched with rockets. That's my kinda driving game. 

BPR also does what people praise BotW for doing (and that praise is deserved): It places things on the map in a way that you're always pushed toward doing something. Hit one ramp and crash into a billboard, and just to your right is a fence to break down or another ramp to hit. I spent the first hour of the game careening from ramp to shortcut to billboard and back before I even got into a race or another mission. It reminds me of playing BotW and seeing some weird landmark, scaling or reaching that landmark, getting something for it (Korok seed, chest, and from that new vantage point seeing one or two other weird landmarks that I would be compelled to go check out. 

I only have two minor issues with the game. The first is that if you fail a mission, you have to drive all the way back to the specific intersection where you trigger that mission to do it again. Since you spend your time racing across one end of the map to the other, this can be pretty irritating when you finish second in a race that places you at the Naval Yard or Ballpark, which is all the way across the map from the place that you started the race. 

The other one is the music selection, which is probably my least favorite selection of music in a game ever, or at least in a game where you spend a ton of time in a car. This game cries out for the custom soundtracks option that OG Xbox had. What an underrated option that was. I miss it. 

• Like 1

It was great of EA to add so many new crashes to the game.

They're all the game crashing to the fucking dashboard though.

It's only happened 2-3 times for me but other people are having a lot of problems on PS4

You are literally the only person I've ever seen complain about the soundtrack.

10 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I probably should put this in that Best Open Worlds thread, but Burnout Paradise Remastered had a very good pre-remastered rep for all these years, and I can see why. This game has a nicely-sized open world that you can travel around in pretty seamlessly. It's very, very impressive for 2008 and mostly holds up well in 2018. I love the arcade-style cars and the driving, where it's easy to launch into the air and do barrel rolls and flips and stick a landing. Hit a ramp with some speed and you shoot off into the sky like you were launched with rockets. That's my kinda driving game. 

BPR also does what people praise BotW for doing (and that praise is deserved): It places things on the map in a way that you're always pushed toward doing something. Hit one ramp and crash into a billboard, and just to your right is a fence to break down or another ramp to hit. I spent the first hour of the game careening from ramp to shortcut to billboard and back before I even got into a race or another mission. It reminds me of playing BotW and seeing some weird landmark, scaling or reaching that landmark, getting something for it (Korok seed, chest, and from that new vantage point seeing one or two other weird landmarks that I would be compelled to go check out. 

I only have two minor issues with the game. The first is that if you fail a mission, you have to drive all the way back to the specific intersection where you trigger that mission to do it again. Since you spend your time racing across one end of the map to the other, this can be pretty irritating when you finish second in a race that places you at the Naval Yard or Ballpark, which is all the way across the map from the place that you started the race. 

The other one is the music selection, which is probably my least favorite selection of music in a game ever, or at least in a game where you spend a ton of time in a car. This game cries out for the custom soundtracks option that OG Xbox had. What an underrated option that was. I miss it. 

I don't know what system you're on, but both Xbox and PS4 have Spotify integration.  

I have Spotify, but whenever I use it, it plays over the sound effects of the game, which I don't like. If I can integrate it properly, I'll be glad to use it.

The song list started with some shitty Guns 'n Roses song (oops, I was redundant there), and somehow that wasn't the nadir. Maybe you know a lot of people who like that type of music. I'm more of a '90s hip-hop/R&B dude when cruising in a virtual car. 

No crashes to the dash in about five hours, though. Not yet, anyway. Game is spectacular outside of those issues for me. 

• Like 1