DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I sold one of my copies of Chrono Trigger online for three hundred dollars.

If Steam availability devalues my last cartridge, I'm going to be pissed off.

I wouldn't worry about that.

5 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

So someone fucked up at SEGA and instead of a free demo for Yakuza 6 a bunch of people got FREE YAKUZA 6, as in the full fucking game.  Oops.  So now you can't download the demo.

Someone is so fired, you guys.

Ah, I am having fond flashbacks to the accidental 99.9% off sale for Tropico 4 complete edition a couple years back, where a few thousand people grabbed it for pennies. I am sure that went over well.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I sold one of my copies of Chrono Trigger online for three hundred dollars.

If Steam availability devalues my last cartridge, I'm going to be pissed off.

I'm hearing it's the bad mobile port of the game. Apparently the steam reviews have been cruel too, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I have the PS1 copy of the game somewhere that I still have never played.

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'm hearing it's the bad mobile port of the game. Apparently the steam reviews have been cruel too, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I have the PS1 copy of the game somewhere that I still have never played.

You're lucky, the PS1 version was plagued by load times preceding EVERY battle and cutscene, making it a chore to play.  The DS version remains the superior version because it has the extra dungeons and cutscenes without the load time, but they changed up the script and names of the Mystics to sanitize it for the US.  Still, it's better than the mobile port.

So I've put 6 hours so far with Into the Breach and I have to be honest, my concerns are mounting pretty rapidly. The more I play it the more I start to wonder if it's actually a much more shallow game than it initially appears. I'm finding it really frustrating, not really making much progress, and the entire community seems to be split between people who can't seem to figure it out at all and people that find it insanely simple.

I hope it's just me missing something really obvious. But if I absolutely had to make a choice 6 hours in, I'd say I'm honestly not enjoying myself.

first, look at my monster hunter.

GjgcLT7.jpg

beautiful.

anyways.

BAYONETTA 1 ON THE SWITCH [3]

Couple of notes here.

1) I bought this because I had Zero Faith that they would keep Bayonetta 2 in print for very long. I also am a Platinum fan and have been meaning to replay Bayonetta- which I beat twice at release- for quite a while.

2) On the note of Platinum, replaying Bayonetta 1 has finally helped me see a legitimate complaint with NieR: Automata (aside from the braying asshole fanbase who did not notice that N:A is trying to Actually Kill Them Specifically). That complaint is *drumroll* Nier made me fuckin' SOFT at these games. I am getting my ass kicked pillar to post in every stage. I got level-wide platinums on most of that game, and was working on Pure Platinum in a few others before the bottom dropped out for me. So coming back to it after Nier? I have lost all of the Platinum Muscle Memory and I am having to rebuild it like fuckin' Physical Therapy.

3) On the elephant in the room- when it came out, I remember being uneasy about the portrayal of Bayonetta. Now before I go any further, let me be clear- That Shit Is Still A Problem. What perspective has given me though is that the character Bayonetta is no more or less grotesque than literally everything else happening in the video game Bayonetta. Rodin has Street Fighter proportions- his hands are as big as his head. He is emotionless and "cool." Enzo is similarly grotesque to all of his stereotypes. Like, it is hard for me to be thinking about the myriad ways the game is fucked up as I'm playing it, because it's almost literally fucked up in All The Ways. If I saw anyone from Bayonetta in real life I would run the other direction. i mean for christ's sakes, bayonetta's legs are as long as Her Whole Torso Twice. It is an actual nightmare.

4) The Switch Joycons are maybe not the ideal controller for a game asking you to do the kinds of things that a Platinum game asks you to do. You don't really notice how tall those buttons are until you have to mash them and end up with a dent in your thumb. It takes moments like that to make you really appreciate the Dual Shock 4.

odds are you know where you stand with bayonetta by now so I'm not gonna try to argue anything for or against it. I'm just having an interesting time with revisiting it and I wanted to share.

Finished up Salt and Sanctuary for the first time just now. Playtime to first victory 18 hours. Feelings are the same as before, a really solid game that I am glad I found out about and didn't slip under my radar. Didn't clear a couple of the optional bosses which, correctly for optionals, felt like some of the hardest content in the game. There were also a couple other optionals I didn't even find, which is cool. Will almost certainly play this one again. Was a Paladin on the first try, want to try either a mage, thief, or hunter for a different style. Also super-tempted to try the cook even if the cook's weapon is a stupid pot.

50 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I completely forgot Red Dead Redemption has a third act.  My memory was that it ended once you resolved Mexico.

One of the many things I love about the game is evoking the different eras of the Western, including the End of The Era 20th century stuff with motor cars and such. 

• Like 1

I'm ten years late to the Super Meat Boy party. It was on sale for something like two dollars on the Sony store a few weeks ago. One of those game that I knew I'd get around to and was just waiting for the right time to pick up. Getting through it pretty well - A+ing all the regular stages through the first five worlds, busting up the warp zones, yadda yadda.

I just unlocked The Kid, secret character and main protag from famed indie platform-hell I Wanna Be The Guy. Beating the three levels necessary to unlock him is the hardest gaming-related thing I have done in a really, REALLY long time. My right thumb is sore as hell, right under the nail. My neck muscles are all jacked up. I think I broke my eyes.

8 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm ten years late to the Super Meat Boy party. It was on sale for something like two dollars on the Sony store a few weeks ago. One of those game that I knew I'd get around to and was just waiting for the right time to pick up. Getting through it pretty well - A+ing all the regular stages through the first five worlds, busting up the warp zones, yadda yadda.

I just unlocked The Kid, secret character and main protag from famed indie platform-hell I Wanna Be The Guy. Beating the three levels necessary to unlock him is the hardest gaming-related thing I have done in a really, REALLY long time. My right thumb is sore as hell, right under the nail. My neck muscles are all jacked up. I think I broke my eyes.

I have such a love/hate relationship with those types of platformers.  I've played Super Meatboy, I Wanna Be The Guy and some of its fangames (Boshy, Kill the Camilla, Run the Marathon); but I haven't beaten a single one of them.  I get my enjoyment out of them, but at some point it always enters controller thrower territory.  But when you see videos of people speedrunning those games it just blows my mind.

• Like 1

I bought the Mutant Mudds game collection because it's half-price on Switch. I couldn't help myself. I played most of the first Mutant Mudds on Vita and it is so good.

I started playing it again last night. Still so good. It demands that you think about how and when and where you hover jump in ways that I find interesting. I can't wait to get to the sequel. 

Also there's a match-two (-three? -four?) puzzle game added on as part of the pack, which is like the most universally enjoyable "play when you're sort of bored and sitting in front of the TV on a lazy day and you don't feel like too much of a challenge" genre that video gaming has. 

I also (finally) got a physical copy of Skullgirls for Vita and have been playing that a bit trying to figure out the systems. I'm just getting my head wrapped around launchers and the best ways to follow your opponent into the air to continue a combo. 

2 hours ago, GojiColin said:

I have such a love/hate relationship with those types of platformers.  I've played Super Meatboy, I Wanna Be The Guy and some of its fangames (Boshy, Kill the Camilla, Run the Marathon); but I haven't beaten a single one of them.  I get my enjoyment out of them, but at some point it always enters controller thrower territory.  But when you see videos of people speedrunning those games it just blows my mind.

The Super Meat Boy 106% world record has a legit case as "most impressive speedrun I have watched", that shit is outrageous.

I am REALLY struggling with Dragon Quest 8.

PROS
-They establish a villain immediately, which is something that the other games have been inconsistent about. 6 in particular is awful about it, not even showing you the Big Bad until the final boss fight. In DQ8 you see him pretty much immediately, and he's immediately doing awful contemptable shit.
-The first characters they introduce- Yangus and King Trode- are classic. I want to hang out with Yangus. I want to help King Trode and Madea.
-The first four towns have the Episodic Feel that other games were fantastic for, because it gives you goals and natural points at which to stop.

CONS
-Everything about how this game treats Jessica bothers me. The first party member I picked up after her can't stop trying to get with her. The first large armor upgrade I got for her put her in even skimpier clothes than her default outfit which is like Classic Anime "How Are Your Boobs Not Out" attire. She is SEVENTEEN. Fuck's sake, man. Like, I'm playing Bayonetta at the same time as this, and DQ8 makes me WAY more uncomfortable. I figure it's because Bayonetta is out there being like "HEY LOOK IT'S GENDER PERFORMANCE WOOHOO" and Dragon Quest is taking time out of being a broad charming fantasy to be all AROOOOOGAAA over the teenager.
-Related to the previous con: I want to throw Angelo against the ground until his body parts fly off like a cheap GI Joe. I deeply resent that I cannot just automatically waste Angelo and still have a chance in the dungeons. I am mercifully playing it on 3DS where I know for a fact I will get other party members later. I'm not sure I'm going to make it. Angelo is the worst party member in any Dragon Quest game.
-Speaking of the 3DS version, load times. They're not bad, but the problem is it's the same length load between everything. So going from city to open world is really fast. Good! Going from touching an enemy to a fight takes about five whole seconds of totally blank screen. Bad!
-The levelling system is just the worst. It was the thing I hated most about playing 9, and while it's not as amazingly cruel as 9, all that means is that I'm looking at that menu twice as often and it's still boring to think about.
-this is a minor gripe comparatively but it's what compelled me to write all this- having a boss who's gimmick is Lots Of Critical Hits while half your party has under 100 HP is a real fucked up thing to do.

I'm not even 10 hours in and I'm really weighing giving up. The idea that people think this is the high point of the DQ games blows my mind.

I think DQ8 got its fame from the story and the high quality translation job it got.  I don't remember anyone saying the gameplay was groundbreaking.

And I don't remember the PS2 version having load times like that.  Which makes it really weird that the 3DS version would have that from a cart.

I recently 100%ed two games over the weekend, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Battlefield 3.

These include 2500 kills for Uncharted 2's multiplayer and getting the x bow parts unlocked and 10 kills with each weapon in Back To Karkand and Close Quarters in Battlefield 3.

Now, I'm going to try to 100% Uncharted 3. If Sony shuts UC2 and UC3's multipalyer, hopefully I'll be done by then.

12 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

This is the only one I ever played, and the reason I'm really not interested in any of the rest of them. Just grind grind grind grind pick up an asshole more grind, oh look we got wiped out, lather, rinse repeat. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

PROS
-They establish a villain immediately, which is something that the other games have been inconsistent about. 6 in particular is awful about it, not even showing you the Big Bad until the final boss fight. In DQ8 you see him pretty much immediately, and he's immediately doing awful contemptable shit.

At least they didn't pull the FF4 betrayal of making you chase the BBEG all over the fucking world and to the damned moon on a blood trail of hatred and revenge, only to pull some "He's not evil.  He's under the mental control of an evil cosmic being and oh by the way he's your half-brother."

Fuck Golbez.

Between that and Edge not sweeping Rydia off of her feet at Cecil & Rosa's wedding, I am genuinely surprised that FF4 isn't a game that I completely despise.  It is a game I have loved since I was a kid despite being totally betrayed by the plot.

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

This is the only one I ever played, and the reason I'm really not interested in any of the rest of them. Just grind grind grind grind pick up an asshole more grind, oh look we got wiped out, lather, rinse repeat. 

I don't recall 8 being super grindy unless you were trying to do one of the extra boss fights. I know it wasn't giving me trouble when I was playing regularly last year. I actually need to get back to it.

Bloodborne is downloading. At the speed PSN gives me these days, I'll be saying the same hours from now...

My girlfriend also bought me a copy of Super Mario World this week. I had a Genesis growing up (as did all of my friends), so while I've played it, I've certainly never played through it. Looking forward to that.

Also also, I played some No Man's Sky. A year removed from the drama, for a game I hadn't hyped as much as most...I'd say that I'm enjoying myself. It's just a really chill game for me to check in on when I'm feeling stressed. No idea if I'm making progress. I'm just bebopping around the universe, scanning shit and trying to learn alien languages.

Someone asked me today if you NEED an internet connection to enjoy a PS4.  I think they're concerned about their kid having that much unmonitored access to the internet.

I'm not the person to ask.  I've never owned a PS3 or 4 and my online PC gaming experience is pretty much limited to browsing the Steam workshop for Fire Pro World edits.  I assume you can't play online buy can play games you buy in stores.  Do you really need the internet connection if you're not playing online?

2 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Someone asked me today if you NEED an internet connection to enjoy a PS4.  I think they're concerned about their kid having that much unmonitored access to the internet.

I'm not the person to ask.  I've never owned a PS3 or 4 and my online PC gaming experience is pretty much limited to browsing the Steam workshop for Fire Pro World edits.  I assume you can't play online buy can play games you buy in stores.  Do you really need the internet connection if you're not playing online?

The only thing I think you would really miss without an internet connection (apart from playing online) would be patches, which could leave you playing some kinda broke-ass games.  

I know the PS4 has parental controls, but I don't know how good or comprehensive they are.