DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

The further I get into Agents of MAYHEM, the more depressing it is.  The writing is fun, the gimmick is good and the fundamentals of gameplay are solid but not great.  It's not nearly so janky as the original Saints' Row, but it has the same "you can do better" vibe and I am convinced that if it hadn't bombed, a sequel would be one of those games people keep talking about for years.

Last night, I got my first gold hero in Hearthstone with druid.  I've been playing since open beta so it only took me... four years?  Geez.

I'm having more success on ladder this month than I have in a while, sitting at rank seven in standard playing spiteful druid and nine in wild playing burn mage.  I think the latest round of nerfs really freshened the game up.

Monster Hunter World is the rare case of a game that I was going to get until I heard more people talk about playing it, especially the guys on Bombcast. It sounds like endless grinding in a game full of Capcom action-adventure game jank. 

I miss when Capcom made good action-adventure games back in the SNES days, but I don't think that I've ever liked a Capcom action-adventure game in 3D. Those old 2D games hold up, though. Final Fight, X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, Demon's Crest, Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems: All still very good games in 2018.

I think I actually finally hit a wall where my body cannot process more of that, but it took: Diablo 1, a decade of Diablo II, Torchlight, Path of Exile, Bastion, and Grim Dawn to get me there. And even then with my Grim Dawn playtime sitting at 100 hours I would never say that I am done forever because someday The Itch will return.

• Like 1

There's also the part where it plays like a perfected swordsmanship fantasy, where everything you can do interacts in ways that are both surprising and obvious. I have sank 100 hours into MHW, I sank over 100 into MH3, and probably about 80 into MH4, and I am STILL LEARNING ABOUT HOW THE COMBAT WORKS. And the large majority of that time is with a single weapon. Other weapons (with two exceptions) control entirely differently from each other. There are 20 minute long tutorial videos on specific weapons that have to leave stuff out so they can move on to other elements.

The only games that play kind of like the MH games are the Souls Games, and the Souls games feel like those dreams where you're trying to beat someone up but can't actually punch hard enough to do any damage. In Monster Hunter, a flaming T-rex lept up a cliff to get at me, so I dove off that same cliff and hit him directly in the nose with an enormous steel bagpipe which smashed him back down to earth like Roger Federer was trying to serve a Tennis Ball through the whole planet. I was too busy screaming to think about the loot table.

as someone that has played both Destiny 2 and literally eight Dragon Quests in the last calendar year, to call Monster Hunter a grindfest is to call an airplane a big rickshaw. I mean, yeah, I guess so, because they can both carry you and someone else, but it's the nature and the scale of the endeavor. My character is wearing completely amazing armor, and I did a host of completely amazing things to get that armor, so that I can fight even tougher and scarier monsters to get even cooler things. I have spent the last ten hours of gameplay preparing to get my revenge on this one monster because the last time I fought him he DEMOLISHED me. I want to humiliate him. That to me feels a world apart from "oops these enemies in this area hit harder, guess it's time to random battle for two hours."

It's actually really, really easy to get high damage in dark souls 1 if you know how to game the crafting system. With magic it's not even necessary. I don't know if I've ever played a game that gave players more ways to get OP as hell and so many of them just flat out refused to take it because they wanted one more point of health or something. The later games nerfed the shit out of magic, relatively, though.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

The problem with that criticism is that "an endless grind full of CAPCOM jank" is exactly why the people who like it, like it, from what I can gather. It's not that it is even incorrect, it's just not going to dissuade people.

Kind of like Destiny 2, but with anime cat chefs.

I think this is true. Some people like grindy play, and these sorts of games need to exist. They're just not for me. 

Same thing with the sort of awkward movement in combat that Capcom games (not counting their 2D fighters, obviously) seem to have. I think this is something that plagues every Japanese action-adventure game that isn't made by FROM Software, to be honest, but people love that shit in Capcom and Platinum games. 

I think really, I just don't prefer Japanese game design in general at this point in my life. That's not the fault of the games, though. 

18 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Many words about Monster Hunter, edited down for reader convienence

I ended up watching a TON of Monster Hunter world streams/videos (because frankly it's cheaper for me than buying a PC that could actually run the game when it came out), and it's a really fascinating game in that I see a lot of flaws that would bug the shit out of me in most games yet I still enjoyed watching the game very much, and I can't even explain why. Virtually every monster seems to basically be a reskin of the same idea (vulnerable part, attack tail and/or horn, jump on the back and smash through armor, etc), the way combat animations lock in and have to be allowed to finish before you can move would drive me nuts in a lot of games, the story is so dumb they shouldn't have really bothered, and yet... it's really an entertaining world. It's fun. People clearly have fun playing it. People like me clearly have fun watching it. It's somehow interesting to watch anyway. There is something about the combat that feels like it has weight to it. Heavy weapons feel heavy. I want to try out the heavy bowgun so much and just run around shouting into a mic "Daddy is gonna power up the bass cannon" to random kids in foreign countries. Everything about it is so goddamn purely CAPCOM, so Japanese in its pure happiness that we're going to stab the shit out of some monsters. It's so cute I almost want to puke at points. That animation with the cooking cats I must have seen a hundred times and I'm still not sick of it. Somehow it all works. It really works. I can't even say why, because I literally had no idea what Monster Hunter was before World so it's all new to me. It seems like a game I'd say "fuck this, this sucks" about once every two days then play for a year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

It's actually really, really easy to get high damage in dark souls 1 if you know how to game the crafting system. With magic it's not even necessary. I don't know if I've ever played a game that gave players more ways to get OP as hell and so many of them just flat out refused to take it because they wanted one more point of health or something. The later games nerfed the shit out of magic, relatively, though.

my point there was more about the difference between how this feels
super_boom_by_alo81-d6ervns.gif

and how this feels

EssentialOffbeatFeline.gif

I sort of understand, but at the same time, I don't know (based on several dozen hours of video that I've watched) if I could name a game where enemies appear to be bigger damage sponges than MHW. Yeah you hit them and it looks cool, then you do it another 100 times. In that sense, I think the combat actually reminds me a lot more of a Diablo-style game than anything else. But it feels so much weightier because it's not a click-spam game at all.

It's a very hard game to describe, really. But at least it's *interesting*.

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

Wait what the hell, how have I not heard anything about this? I hope it's not a colossal turd like the utter sprite hackjob someone pulled on Final Fantasy VI. That thing is a CRIME AGAINST NATURE.

WAIT WHAT????  HOW THE FUCK???  *runs to Steam*

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:33 PM, Raziel403 said:

WAIT WHAT????  HOW THE FUCK???  *runs to Steam*

I sold one of my copies of Chrono Trigger online for three hundred dollars.

If Steam availability devalues my last cartridge, I'm going to be pissed off.