DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I plan on purchasing it on the PS Store when I play it either way but when I finally go to play, should I stick with the cheese English voice work or play the PSX patched version with English text and Japanese voice work?

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I plan on purchasing it on the PS Store when I play it either way but when I finally go to play, should I stick with the cheese English voice work or play the PSX patched version with English text and Japanese voice work?

"Die Monster!  You don't belong in this world!"

Use the English cheese.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think the upside down castle sectioin is a great example of something that could be a terrible handicap (size limitation of CD Rom) and figuring out a way to actually make something really good out of it. Kind of like Mario 64 managing to make something out of the era of Garbage Camera Is A Feature Not A Bug.

It wounds me really deeply to say this, but at 36 years old I am ready to concede DEFEAT to Nuclear Throne. I am simply too old and slow to actually get good at this game. Picked it up again the last couple weeks and I still love it, probably the most fun I have ever had with a bullet hell game. But Jesus, I just can't get back in a groove for shit. It's not just that I die a lot but I have a lot of times I die and don't even know what hit me. I just can't keep up with this game.

I still give it the highest of recommendations but I have to concede I will simply never be within a country mile of the first page of the daily leaderboard anywhere but my wildest imagination.

1 minute ago, Tromatagon said:

First step to exclusively playing Farmville on Facebook

Marvel Puzzle Quest match 3 for 15 hours a day here I come, it's all over.

I sometimes am just doing normal shit, and just randomly hear the Nuclear Throne title music in my head. I love this game. It really bugs me I am complete ass at it.

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

It wounds me really deeply to say this, but at 36 years old I am ready to concede DEFEAT to Nuclear Throne. I am simply too old and slow to actually get good at this game. Picked it up again the last couple weeks and I still love it, probably the most fun I have ever had with a bullet hell game. But Jesus, I just can't get back in a groove for shit. It's not just that I die a lot but I have a lot of times I die and don't even know what hit me. I just can't keep up with this game.

I still give it the highest of recommendations but I have to concede I will simply never be within a country mile of the first page of the daily leaderboard anywhere but my wildest imagination.

If it makes you feel better, the developers of Nuclear Throne are also bad at Nuclear Throne.

Honestly, I haven't played it that much since it left Early Access for a really, deeply stupid reason: back before they put the menus in you could like click three times in under a second to start the game, so I would just jump into it by turning the speakers up and mashing through their logo/disclaimer/title screen by clicking where the play button was and it felt like the game fucking exploded into life. It takes too long to start now that there's an actual menu and it's sank my ability to play it. I recognize this is a problem entirely of my own creation. I am, after all, the One Who Complicates Things.

but yeah the soundtrack in nuclear throne is aces. the third secret level theme is fucking amazing

5 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

My name is Travis and I'm a Gameaholic.

Instead of chipping away at my games backlog, I have now purchased a PS Vita and am 5 games into that device.

You made the right decision, sir. Vita was great. 

Even after it stopped getting those impressive-for-their-time 360/PS3 ports, it was the best indie machine out there. Switch is taking that role now, but Vita was so good in that role. I have game-of-the-generation contender Downwell on four devices somehow, but only one was portable-in-my-jeans-pocket sized and also had physical rather than optical controls. 

Even now, it's still getting a decent stream of indie releases. Good machine, just redundant since I got a Switch. I mean, not totally redundant because Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 isn't on Switch, but mostly redundant. 

52 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

If it makes you feel better, the developers of Nuclear Throne are also bad at Nuclear Throne.

Honestly, I haven't played it that much since it left Early Access for a really, deeply stupid reason: back before they put the menus in you could like click three times in under a second to start the game, so I would just jump into it by turning the speakers up and mashing through their logo/disclaimer/title screen by clicking where the play button was and it felt like the game fucking exploded into life. It takes too long to start now that there's an actual menu and it's sank my ability to play it. I recognize this is a problem entirely of my own creation. I am, after all, the One Who Complicates Things.

but yeah the soundtrack in nuclear throne is aces. the third secret level theme is fucking amazing

Have you ever heard the original YV theme from the game they made before this? It's... the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. It's so good.

Guns that straight festive

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

You made the right decision, sir. Vita was great. 

Even after it stopped getting those impressive-for-their-time 360/PS3 ports, it was the best indie machine out there. Switch is taking that role now, but Vita was so good in that role. I have game-of-the-generation contender Downwell on four devices somehow, but only one was portable-in-my-jeans-pocket sized and also had physical rather than optical controls. 

Even now, it's still getting a decent stream of indie releases. Good machine, just redundant since I got a Switch. I mean, not totally redundant because Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 isn't on Switch, but mostly redundant. 

I'm loving it so far.

My "library" consists of Hots Shots Golf, Dragon's Crown, Batman Blackgate, Soul Sacrifice, and Plague Road.

If I get a PS4 I hope the remote play feature is as cool as it looks.

15 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I'm loving it so far.

My "library" consists of Hots Shots Golf, Dragon's Crown, Batman Blackgate, Soul Sacrifice, and Plague Road.

If I get a PS4 I hope the remote play feature is as cool as it looks.

I had a hard time with it because I just don't think that the touchpad on the back is a good substitute for L2/R2, but people who are able to get over that hump absolutely love it. 

We don't really have a specific thread for "video game related memorabilia" that I know of (maybe we should?), but I did some impulse shopping today and I have the McFarlane Series Borderlands Figures for Handsome Jack, Claptrap, Lilith, and Krieg on the way after today. A pretty dumb use of money? Maybe, but man, I am sick to death of saying "that looks fun" and walking away from stuff. Just one time.

Jack I will have soon, the other three are pre-orders. Claptrap is out soon. Lilith and Krieg not until July-August. There's also a Zer0 and a Tiny Tina but I'm not as enthused for those characters. Maybe at some point if they keep putting out more (and with no Roland, Moxxi, Brick, Maya, Sir Hammerlock etc I can't imagine they are done yet) I might buy them to round out a set. Who knows. If Scooter ever gets his own figure I will mark out so hard.

The further I get into Agents of MAYHEM, the more depressing it is.  The writing is fun, the gimmick is good and the fundamentals of gameplay are solid but not great.  It's not nearly so janky as the original Saints' Row, but it has the same "you can do better" vibe and I am convinced that if it hadn't bombed, a sequel would be one of those games people keep talking about for years.