DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

After falling back in love with Bloodborne and finishing a BL4 run i got over confident. I tried an all bosses no death run. I died to Darkbeast Paarl twice and the Orphan of Kos once. While i'm damn happy with the outcome that shit is too stressful and not at all fun. I'm not built for those sorts of challenge runs, i'll go back to playing video games for fun thank you very much.

• Like 1

I got Salt and Sanctuary without really knowing much about it at all other than "it's a metroidvania that people like and compare to Dark Souls style games". Playing it totally blind. Only about an hour and a half in but I am quite enjoying it so far. Beat the Sodden Knight, explored briefly past the door that opened, and that's as far as I am. Reminds me a bit of Rogue Legacy too, just without the random castle part, that was a fun game.

6 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

There's already a Steam sale. The reviews have me shook. 

What do a bunch of neckbeards on IGN know about video games anyway? The fact that Arthur Gies was gainfully employed as a 'video game reviewer' has me not listening to the whole lot of 'em.

23 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Just got it today after marathoning some of Kai. So much fun! I suck at fighting games but I picked up a Mayflash stick to play SFV and eventually FighterZ, so it's helped a bit. Aside from the most difficult combos for each fighter, FighterZ is actually pretty easy and fun (so far). SFV I'm struggling with because it's way more difficult. 

Aside from being difficult, how is SFV?

I would not be a good person to ask because I'm not all that into fighters. It's pretty smooth but everything has a weight to it, which is really nice. At the higher levels, if you make one small mistake, a good player will be able to punish you severely. The arcade and story modes are easy but give you time to get some work in with different characters. Overall, I think it's pretty good but the learning curve is pretty big to get beyond "not completely trash" for me anyway.

• Like 1

as i started writing this i realized like this was gonna come off as me making fun of oyaji so let me make it expressly clear that that's not my intention

SF5 handles comparatively easily to previous SF games. There's a very generous window on execution for a lot of characters, and the new training mode just enabled a function where it will very clearly read out the frame data, both in terms of how much advantage you get and how long the active frames are. It'll even color code your character when you have advantage and read out the number of advantage you have, so you can use that to manually figure out combos without having to turn to the FGC.

I will say it is an extremely offensively focused game so if you're used to playing defense you're probably not gonna have a fantastic time.

BONUS: Lamp's Free Guide To Getting Better At Special Move Execution (Or, I Hope You Like Podcasts And Repitition)
1. Training Mode. Might want to turn the volume of the game down super low.
2. Pick either Ryu or Fang (or Alex if you have them, this will make sense in a second)
3. Push them into the corner using only fireballs. If you have Alex, you can switch from sweeping inputs to charge inputs whenever cuz he has both.
4. Do 10 sets of 10 Straight Fireballs. As in, if you can do 10 straight, count that as 1. If you don't, don't count it. Make sure you turn the directional input display on so if the move doesn't come out, you can see what you did wrong.
5. Jump over them, and walk them to the other corner with fireballs.
6. Do another 10 sets.
7. Jump over them, and switch to another special move. For Ryu, the shoryuken. For FANG, the poison punch.
8. Repeat that thing you just did.
9. Do this three times a week.

• Like 1

Yeah, I need to use training mode. I didn't bother with it and it's something I know I would end up putting a great deal of hours into, much like free kick practice with Pro Evo back in the day. So if I want to actually go all in on SFV, training mode is where the journey to not being shit starts.

13 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

What do a bunch of neckbeards on IGN know about video games anyway? The fact that Arthur Gies was gainfully employed as a 'video game reviewer' has me not listening to the whole lot of 'em.

Ok. I haven't read IGN since ever - I had some dorkly little beef with them in high school for reasons i can't and would rather not recall. But their shimmering score of 76 is on the high end of the remaster's documented reviews.

About 5 hours into Salt and Sanctuary and I haven't thought about putting it down once so we're definitely into it's good territory. I get why people call it a 2D Dark Souls which isn't wrong really, but it also reminds me a lot of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. That's a good thing. I have hit a bit of a difficulty wall around the Cyclops Kraeken and the Jester bosses, so have stopped to upgrade some gear a little. My only real frustration is I'd like to be able to remap some controls because now and again I go to hit the dark souls attack trigger and end up drinking a healing potion. Stupid ass muscle memory. Game also reminds me a bit of Rogue Legacy which I enjoyed a lot. Definitley can't complain for a game grabbed at 50% off right now.

By the way, in this era of nearly endless remasters, many of them of games that aren't even old yet, I would absolutely pay full price for a Steam remaster of Castlevania: SOTN. Somebody make a kickstarter or something.

• Like 2

finally finished up Donkey Kong Country Returns (wii) this morning. very fun, but very frustrating game. i started playing a few years back, but i rage quit and hadn't played in a few years. beating Tropical Freeze last month renewed my interest in this one, so i picked it back up. finished at 84%.

10 hours ago, twiztor said:

finally finished up Donkey Kong Country Returns (wii) this morning. very fun, but very frustrating game. i started playing a few years back, but i rage quit and hadn't played in a few years. beating Tropical Freeze last month renewed my interest in this one, so i picked it back up. finished at 84%.

Obviously a game with great level design, but waggle to roll makes it unplayable for me. 

I hope it eventually gets a Switch release with conventional control options. 

So yesterday I finished the first chapter of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.  It's kind of amusing to me that with the re-master of Secret of Mana out and Tokyo RPG Factory desperately trying to catch that retro-rpg magic in a bottle that Falcom can consistently crank out such well executed games that evoke those exact feeling that others so desperately try to emulate.   The mission system could get tiresome in other games, but the characters and their interactions compel you to beat them just to explore the world Estelle and Josh live in.

Now I haven't delved into Falcom's other franchises yet (Xanadu, Ys, Zwei), but I think it's safe to say they're one of the better RPG studios out there currently.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oyaji said:

As a kid, I never got into any Castlevania games but I absolutely would like to play Symphony of the Night.

Go to the XBox or PSN store and drop the $10 on it and put aside about 20 hours for your first blind playthrough.

I bought a year's worth of PS Now because of Yakuza 4, Yakuza 5 and Red Dead Redemption.  Started playing RDR again and this game is just as amazing as I remember it being.  It does such a fantastic job of properly setting a tone with its visuals and music.  I love the slower pace compared to a standard GTA game - you can just lose yourself in the setting.

I don't remember this bug where lassoing someone can cause them to just go limp and not be able to hogtie them, which is fucking me over more than a few times.  Suggestions from anyone?

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I bought a year's worth of PS Now because of Yakuza 4, Yakuza 5 and Red Dead Redemption.  Started playing RDR again and this game is just as amazing as I remember it being.  It does such a fantastic job of properly setting a tone with its visuals and music.  I love the slower pace compared to a standard GTA game - you can just lose yourself in the setting.

I say this pretty much anytime anyone mentions PSNow, but it's kind of insane how great a deal that is at $100/year, and how obscenely overpriced the monthly and quarterly rates are.

6 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

It's my favorite game of all time.  Do it!

That is high praise. I just watched some thorough review of it and I gotta say it looks rad. Will probably give it a shot once I get through my Metal Gear series replay.

Not a fan of the upside down castle stuff though. But I do love how OP the protagonist is and the magic scrolls is a fine way of stopping you from more or less breaking the game right away. 

Tangent!: The Netflix Castlevania series was really good. It was like a blend of the series' style/history and Berserk and that'll always win me over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I say this pretty much anytime anyone mentions PSNow, but it's kind of insane how great a deal that is at $100/year, and how obscenely overpriced the monthly and quarterly rates are.

Agreed.  In the time I've played Yakuza 4 and RDR, I've had only a few periods of slowdown, and those might just be the games themselves slowing down and not the streaming connection.  I've been very impressed.  

11 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Obviously a game with great level design, but waggle to roll makes it unplayable for me. 

I hope it eventually gets a Switch release with conventional control options. 

absolutely agree. i played it after Tropical Freeze on the Wii-U, and i definitely missed the classic controls.  the motion controls have a time and place, a standard platforming game IS NOT it.

46 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That is high praise. I just watched some thorough review of it and I gotta say it looks rad. Will probably give it a shot once I get through my Metal Gear series replay.

Not a fan of the upside down castle stuff though. But I do love how OP the protagonist is and the magic scrolls is a fine way of stopping you from more or less breaking the game right away. 

Tangent!: The Netflix Castlevania series was really good. It was like a blend of the series' style/history and Berserk and that'll always win me over.

Oh, there's a glitch that you can break the game real early, but it's pretty much pixel perfect to pull off.  But the upside down castle stuff is worked into the game really well.  It still sits at my Top 5 of all time and games I do full casual reruns of at least once a year.