DVDVR Message Board

2018 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I was up, so I figured that I'd make this thread (sorry if I stepped on your toes, JL Sigman). 

My first game of 2018 was...Injustice 2! I love Injustice 2. I actually enjoy playing for loot boxes so that I can dress Batman up in even higher-tech batsuits than he's already wearing. 

What was/is your first game of 2018, and how are you enjoying it?

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Not counting Destiny 2 - since I play that a little every day...

I am trying to decide between which Telltale Game i want to play.

I downloaded the Back to the Future one free but I got Batman: Enemy Within for Christmas

Most likely it will be BTTF because I am pretty sure I will wait till all the Batman episodes are out before starting it

I've got a ton of games I bought in the last couple years on Steam I need to install, and I'm thinking I'll just go down the list. So, this evening I'll install Bastion. If nothing else, I already love the soundtrack.

Will continue playing Titan Quest: Ragnarok and this attempt at a completionist FF XII: Zodiak Age game. I've also got a save about halfway through the Odin Sphere remake that I should get back to someday. Not playing as much SW:TOR at the moment... the writing quality is not nearly as good the last couple of updates, and we have no idea when the next part of this story will drop. 

I've mostly been playing ASSASSIN'S CREED ORIGINS, which is good.  The gameplay loop is pretty repetitious, but it's enjoyable.  Perfect for popping in and playing for an hour or so a day.  Yesterday, I was just sailing along on my little skiff, when A PACK OF CROCODILES came out of nowhere and destroyed my boat and I had to swim for my life to shore.  That was unexpected, terrifying, and fun.

Although I find it weird that I'm like 10 hours into a game about the origins of the Assassins, and no one has so much as said, "Hey, you know what would be cool?  If we formed a league of assassins!"

26 minutes ago, EVA said:

IAlthough I find it weird that I'm like 10 hours into a game about the origins of the Assassins, and no one has so much as said, "Hey, you know what would be cool?  If we formed a league of assassins!"

Has anyone asked you if you want to work for Apple's Black Ops division and cosplay being part of a secret society of assassins?

I quite like the games so long as I just play and forget about the present-day story.  It's mind-boggling that no one thought "You're a knight templar during the crusades" was enough of a hook to sell the game.

Did they ever conclude the modern day stuff? I feel like they actually did a decent job building it up in the Ezio portion of the series with the Kristen Bell character and then it just deflated. The one where you went FPS inside the HQ was lame.

I bought Origins during the Christmas sale and will get to it soonish hopefully. The French Revolution one really took the joy out of the series for me. I bought the English one when it was heavily discounted but couldn't get into it. I say that as somebody who loved 1-3, particularly the Ezio games.

I was gifted/bought on sale Punch Club, Everybody's Golf, Hitman, and Mafia 3. The latter is such a waste of a good setting and interesting  potential story. I tapped out after about 6-8 hours of gameplay and this was after skipping cutscenes because the story was such a pile of shit. I just wanted to shoot up racists in the '60s south, why do they have to make it so boring and dull? Seems like an endless loop of the same fucking side quests to further the main story. Go here and interrogate this guy, go here and shoot up this place, go here and destroy these goods. Fuck off.

Everybody's Golf is pretty close to a perfect golf game. A little too grindy to be actually perfect for my liking, as you have to play the first course about 15 times before you unlock course #2. Still, great game so far.

Punch Club is super addictive and difficult. I dig it so far even though it's a little too referential to the '80s. My guy loses just about as much as he wins. I may restart and focus almost entirely on agility with a bit of stamina so I don't go down in one or two punches.

I've only done the practice mission in Hitman but it's pretty great. Looking forward to diving deeper into this.

• Like 1

SYNDICATE actually had a really good story and some of the best characters in the franchise.  Also had the most fun integrating historical characters into the narrative than any of the games since the Ezio trilogy.

Because of how these AC games get farmed out to different Ubi studios, it's fascinating how scatterbrained the series is from game to game.  Remember, UNITY implemented online multiplayer matchmaking, where you could do missions with other players.....and it's never been heard from again.  There had to be an insane amount of resources tied up in that, and it just got left behind by whichever studio picked up next.

AC3 had this incredibly detailed, almost RPG-like side game about manufacturing goods and shipping them off to sell in various cities that none of the subsequent games have followed up on.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

. The latter is such a waste of a good setting and interesting  potential story. I tapped out after about 6-8 hours of gameplay and this was after skipping cutscenes because the story was such a pile of shit. I just wanted to shoot up racists in the '60s south, why do they have to make it so boring and dull? Seems like an endless loop of the same fucking side quests to further the main story. Go here and interrogate this guy, go here and shoot up this place, go here and destroy these goods. Fuck off.

Everybody's Golf is pretty close to a perfect golf game. A little too grindy to be actually perfect for my liking, as you have to play the first course about 15 times before you unlock course #2. Still, great game so far.

I just got Mafia III for super-cheap, and yeah, I want to drive around New Orleans and shoot klansmen in the face. The gang warz stuff isn't interesting even if it explains how the main character ends up working with the Italian mafia. Maybe that falls by the wayside soon and I can get to shooting more klansmen in the face. I like the pastor, though. He's a sweet old dude (and a nice young dude in flashbacks). 

I also agree with you on Everybody's Golf. It's a great golf game with bad leveling. It takes way too long to go up a level and unlock new courses. I also think that all the clothing unlocks aren't useful enough to feel rewarding. I like playing dress-up in some games, but in this game, I just want to move on and get new courses and challenges.

On another note, I just beat Batman: Arkham Asylum for the first time in a handful of years. I played the Return to Arkham version, and it seemed really bad to me. For example, The Riddler's question mark puzzle pieces don't clearly stand out in Detective Mode visually like they did in the original. The combat also feels slightly lagged, especially countering. I know pretty well which animations you can kill with a counter and which you can't, but maybe they changed it because I would be slamming the counter button a full two or three seconds in advance of someone telegraphing a clear punch at me. I beat it on Hard, and it's not a hard game at all on that level, but I was definitely vexed by the combat a bit more than I have ever been. 

I also think the game is ugly as fuck. I could swear that it looked better on 360 than it does on PS4, and I'm almost tempted to dig my 360 out of the trunk that it's stored in and hook it up just to see if I'm right about that. 

16 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I bought Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition in the steam winter sale but I REALLY need to be in the right mood to put up with these older isometric RPG UI games that are not Fallout 2 so when I will seriously start it, no man can say.

I won a copy from Beamdog and I just need to recreate all my notes from when I had the original before I even think of playing. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I just got Mafia III for super-cheap, and yeah, I want to drive around New Orleans and shoot klansmen in the face. The gang warz stuff isn't interesting even if it explains how the main character ends up working with the Italian mafia. Maybe that falls by the wayside soon and I can get to shooting more klansmen in the face. I like the pastor, though. He's a sweet old dude (and a nice young dude in flashbacks). 

It doesn't really change.  Basically the game's pattern is open a new area, you take over the businesses and kill a couple of leaders, and then a couple of story missions open up.  The actual story missions are fun, but it does end up feeling like a lot of filler.  It's the same issue I'm having with Just Cause 3.  It's fun to take over bases and towns, but it wears thin after the 50th one, especially when story missions are tied to it, so the whole game will stop moving forward.  Also the fact that the enemies are the worst bullet sponges since the first Uncharted is annoying.  It's shouldn't take half a clip from a LMG to kill a average soldier.

Hey @SirFozzie, did you ever check out Satellite Reign on PC which was a spiritual successor to Syndicate developed by some of the original staff? It's on Steam at the minute for £2.29 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/268870/Satellite_Reign/

As I've had a glorious 10 days off work, I played through INSIDE in one go over Christmas. My god, what a strange, unique, horrifying, beautiful game. The whole end bit was oddly touching and kinda reminded me of Akira

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is fucking awesome.  I may have to steal my daughter's Switch for a month or two.

I've already logged in over a month's worth of game time on her Switch with Breath of the Wild.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:18 AM, JLSigman said:

I've got a ton of games I bought in the last couple years on Steam I need to install, and I'm thinking I'll just go down the list. So, this evening I'll install Bastion. If nothing else, I already love the soundtrack.

I saw that was part of the PSN sale and copped it for like $4. Let me know how it grabs you, I have heard really good things about it.

10 hours ago, Neil Koch said:

It's the same issue I'm having with Just Cause 3.  It's fun to take over bases and towns, but it wears thin after the 50th one, especially when story missions are tied to it, so the whole game will stop moving forward.  Also the fact that the enemies are the worst bullet sponges since the first Uncharted is annoying.  It's shouldn't take half a clip from a LMG to kill a average soldier.

The point of JC3 is to use the exotic weapons and tether people to shit and fling them off the map. Or plant rocket boosters on them or something. Oh, and do some challenges to upgrade your abilities (if you're doing a Scrapyard Scramble, press L1 to turn the magnet on or off. I'm telling you because nothing in the game does.).

I want to comment carefully on Bastion by opening with: yes it is a good game.

I do feel that the "WOW GREATEST INDIE THING I EVER PLAYED" (and there might be a thousand copy and pasted steam reviews saying just that) got way, way out of hand with it. Sort of reminds me of the Fat Old XBox days when there was this weird movement to call Fable the greatest game ever made for being "a pretty good Zelda game without any dungeons". Really good game but I was happier for not getting swept up in the hype.

The art and music style in Bastion is pretty cool, though I don't really see in this era of indie games pumping out a legendary soundtrack a month at this point how it stands out as anything particularly special. The story is total mumbo jumbo even for a video game. The gameplay is pretty good, Diablo-style combat with a few interesting choices of weapons and setups. It's a good game, solid, the gameplay is fun. At no point in playing through it did I get really frustrated or want to put it down before finishing. But I haven't had any real urge to revisit it after beating it once.

It's absolutely worth pocket change if that's what it is on sale for.

On 1/1/2018 at 3:10 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

I was up, so I figured that I'd make this thread (sorry if I stepped on your toes, JL Sigman). 

My first game of 2018 was...Injustice 2! I love Injustice 2. I actually enjoy playing for loot boxes so that I can dress Batman up in even higher-tech batsuits than he's already wearing. 

What was/is your first game of 2018, and how are you enjoying it?

IJ2 is easily the 2017 game that got the most time from me.  Remember when online play was janky or non-existent, and so every fighting game had to have that degree of single-player content?  (I hope they bring the movie costume quests back when the blu-ray drops, not because they're pretty but because I want matching lv20 gold sets for more characters than just Barry so I can escape the ugly hell that my Superman and Aquaman live in).

My first game of 2018 was technically the excellent mobile racer Horizon Chase, on the bus home NY morning.  First 'big' game I spent any time with was Breath of the Wild, which I found really unsatisfying when I first got my Switch but am finally getting into after leaving it to simmer a couple months.

Also finally played Star Fox 2 tonight.  This may sound weird, but it reminds me of a really ambitious 2600 or Intellivision game.  It's trying to do way too much, the pieces don't fit together that well and the technology is seriously not there, but it's kind of charming even if it doesn't hold up.  In particular it reminded me of Mattel's Space Attack, which was one of the last Atari games we got. You had a radar screen with enemies slowly creeping toward the center of the screen, and had to deploy fighters to intercept (at which point the view switched to crosshairs and you'd shoot down the enemy fighters).  It's weird and not that great and when I was 8 I could beat it every time, but I loved it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Hey @SirFozzie, did you ever check out Satellite Reign on PC which was a spiritual successor to Syndicate developed by some of the original staff? It's on Steam at the minute for £2.29 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/268870/Satellite_Reign/

As I've had a glorious 10 days off work, I played through INSIDE in one go over Christmas. My god, what a strange, unique, horrifying, beautiful game. The whole end bit was oddly touching and kinda reminded me of Akira

Yeah, I backed it on kickstarter, and also picked up the FPS remake on PC as part of my Christmas purchases :)