DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2018 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Seven if you count travel days. Jaysus

And think how bad air travel will have been for comfort and entertainment in comparison to today. It took a special kind of person to become NWA champion talent-wise but it took a superhuman to work the schedule. I remember Terry Funk saying one year was enough for him as he'd seen what Dory Jr had had to go through

On 16/01/2018 at 1:13 PM, RIPPA said:

What a strange time to be a UK wrestling fan this was. It all started because of the Wrestling Channel showing NOAH in 2004, then Misawa and Ogawa made a random excursion and wrestled on a Wrestling Channel promoted card in Coventry of all places and couldn't believe how well known they were. Then this happened years later

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Infinit said:

And this Sunday Pete faces...

Despite the UK scene being in a pretty good place for a few years now I still find this all quite surreal. Growing up in the '90s, post WoS but pre-FWA & Alex Shane having a radio show & that minor indy explosion, going to a wrestling show basically meant getting to see fake Undertaker (and it certainly wasn't Brian Lee) against fake Doink. Granted, 20 years is a long time but it's so impressive how big wrestling is here, or specifically indy wrestling. Especially with the only wrestling on free-to-air TV being Impact. It's people going to watch stuff live. And it's everywhere. Obviously London is the centre for a lot of stuff, but even in the '00s stuff like FWA & IPW:UK were all England based. Now Glasgow has got ICW but more than that there are groups running in Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, & Inverness, & presumably Wales has stuff to see now.

• Like 2

My thoughts exactly. We're 15 years past the boom period, so for the UK scene to be where its at with little-to-no exposure is astounding. While Alex Shane, Doug Williams and FWA certainly laid the foundations I do think the old Wrestling Channel on Sky was the spark that ignited all of this